• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Action News at 10….AM

Yep. About the only current difference is in the middle of the night/early morning. Can’t imagine that isn’t the plan.

It happened that they could use a Live with Kelly and Mark promo to announce the newscast, having her riff on the theme music, with her local roots.

I’m not impressed by this announcement and I’m totally tired of all these extra newscasts. However, I’m not surprised that they are doing this. The reason is that newscasts are a cost-effective way to fill up empty time slots because the set is already there and paid for as are the employees. This has been a trend in recent years. Stations are doing more and more news, especially WPVI. However, WPVI is taking it to the extreme. If you add up all their daily news casts, 4-7, the new 10-11, 12-1, 4-6:30, and finally the 11, they will have a whopping total of 8 hours of news a day come September 11 when the 10 AM broadcast begins! This is a full 1/3 of the broadcast day doing news! Unfortunately for us the viewers, the result is we get subjected to more and more of the “fluff” stories they put in and pass off as news because there is so much more time to fill up and only so much news every day. We are being newsed to death because they simply don’t want to invest any money in any other kind of programming!

Last edited:
This will only slightly push them above WCAU, with the new hour. CAU has 11, PVI has 12; CAU has a half hour at 7, PVI an hour at 10 pm…sort of. 😀 Now they’ll be up an hour. Fox 29 isn’t far off when the 7-10 am block is figured in.

But that aside, no one is news-ed to death because it’s hardly a requirement to watch it all. I couldn’t care less if they do 3 hours in the morning. I’m watching for about 40 minutes when it fits my schedule. They know people aren’t generally there the whole time.

Watching is voluntary, and people can pick the formats that work better for them. Frankly, after crappy days, there are times when some lighter content is welcome. And it’s not simply “fluff,” they’ve done a decent job telling interesting human interest stories with the time available that don’t typically fit in the 6 or 11 editions. Yeah, they do a segment at 4 on trending topics on social media. Ok, big deal. Take it, leave it, it’s merely a few minutes.

Totally hear your points and I totally agree that they know people aren’t there the whole time. However, the problem is when do you reach the point that enough is enough? I have to disagree that they’ve done a “decent job” with human interest stories. They spend the time promoting movies and shows that just happen to be produced by Disney, their owner and parent company. Bernie Prazenica (WPVI president and GM) has only one priority, making a quick buck, not producing quality programming. I‘d bet they’ll add a 2 PM news too when Tamron Hall leaves eventually, not that she or any of these daytime talk shows are much better than the barrage of newscasts. They refuse to invest in any other programming because it would cost too much!

I’m talking human interest stories like the photojournalists do as an example, and community coverage that doesn’t have a thing to do with Disney. And here in 2023, covering your parent company‘s stuff, that is hardly something one specific GM does. Side note: the job is to make money. That’s what business exists to do. That money also lets them spend on a number of community projects.

Let em add more if that‘s the way things go way down the road. People who don’t want it won’t watch. “Too much” is when it’s not the right economic decision.

Live local news and sports are probably the main types of programming most people watch live , not by delayed viewing via DVR, on demand or streaming later after original airing and all ad revenue is station, not network revenue (unless you are an O&O channel as WPVI is). KYW Newsradio used to encourage people to tune in 2, 3 or 4 times a day, never all day and/or all night. People will watch local tv news when it is convenient for them, thus some local (and national) newscasts available additional times via streaming only.

Kelly Ripa and Mark Gelman did a commercial promoting this 🤣🤣🤣

SInce the Disney owned California stations have a 3pm news and an east coast live feed of WNT, WPVI was somehow curious on adding a 10am cast in a rare additon.

However, the problem is when do you reach the point that enough is enough?
That's not really the question. The question is what programming is more desirable -- and profitable -- than another hour of news?

Talk shows don't really earn ratings, and are presently limited by the SAG strike.
Court shows are considered trashy (and appears to be in decline, with Judge Judy and Judge Mathis ceasing production of new episodes)
The number of game shows in syndication today is tiny
Children's TV ended a long time ago except for PBS, who also cut back earlier this year.

From Alicia Vitarellli’s social media:

The official news release from @6abcactionnews reads:
“6abc/WPVI-TV Philadelphia’s news anchors Alicia Vitarelli, Alyana Gomez and Nydia Han will host “Action News at 10 a.m.” with meteorologist Karen Rogers expanding her duties and joining the team with the AccuWeather forecast.”

My heart is absolutely exploding with joy to work with this group of powerhouse women: professional, brilliant, authentic and beautiful - inside and out.

Our inaugural show debuts on September 11th.

For me, this is a culmination of dreams, hard work, patience, positivity, staying the course and staying real.
I’m exploding with joy.

We can’t wait to share this special, history-making space together and we can’t wait to share YOUR stories.

We have two visionaries at the helm: Executive Producer Caroline Hayden and Producer Jessica Gonzalez. They are two of the BEST I’ve ever had honor to work with.

We hope you’ll join us at 10 am for news, real conversations, love and laughter.

I’m giddy. My soul is happy.
Ready to get to work!

Back
Top Bottom