• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

ABC Radio '50s question

Kurt Toy said:
How long was ABC Radio known as the American Broadcasting Network [ABN]? ABN I guess never caught on.

Here is the announcement in the 6/3/57 issue of Broadcasting Magazine (Page 46). I don't know when it changed back to the ABC Radio Network, but I don't remember it as "American" or "ABN" at all. It may have lasted a couple of years at most.

I think ABC Radio was called ABN for only about a year.

When ABC Radio became ABN, the idea was to have lots of live programs with music and vocalists, etc., especially during the daytime hours, to try to build on the success on Don McNeill's "Breakfast Club".

Recorded music and simulcasts of ABC-TV network programs were banned.

But instead, ABC lost money on ABN (I believe the TV network was barely profitable at the time, so ABN losses may have plunged the whole company into a loss), and the network pulled the plug on all those live entertainment shows in 1958 and brought back the ABC Radio name.

Merv Griffin,Jim Backus,Jim Reeves,Herb Oscar Anderson among others had programs on ABN.

KeithE4 said:
Kurt Toy said:
How long was ABC Radio known as the American Broadcasting Network [ABN]? ABN I guess never caught on.

Here is the announcement in the 6/3/57 issue of Broadcasting Magazine (Page 46). I don't know when it changed back to the ABC Radio Network, but I don't remember it as "American" or "ABN" at all. It may have lasted a couple of years at most.

ABC was ABN for 7 months from mid 1957 until early 1958. Nice try, but big big bust. The only aircheck I have heard is a Jim Reeves Show from Christmas 1957. I'd like to hear some of the others.

Joe

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom