• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A radio format for 55-72? Could it work?

Reprinted from Radio Ink:

When was the last time a new format came along, stuck around and made money for managers across the country? Is it really possible to come up with a brand new format these days? One that actually generates advertiser interest? John Sebastian says yes, yes indeed.

Since we posted the story about John Sebastian’s new format that targets the 55-72 Baby Boomer demo we’ve received a lot of comments about his plan. Some of the feedback was positive, others said the demo is already being addressed with the AAA format. We reached out to Sebastian to get more specifics on why he believes his new idea will work.

Radio Ink: Is this new format mainly for small markets?
Sebastian: The Wow Factor will be successful in any rated market in this country, large or small. In fact, it’ll be perhaps more impactful in major markets where the 25-54 pie is so cut up by many stations attempting to make this their prime demo.

Radio Ink: You plan to employ full-time hosts. Will small market operators be able to afford your idea?
Sebastian: I’ll adjust the fees appropriately for small markets making the concept affordable for them too. The bigger markets will pay my stipend because this format will make them a huge pot of money from a source that’s not been tapped into. Soon, the potential for increased revenues appealing to the wealthiest demographic in America will cause major city radio stations to come screaming for The Wow Factor!

Radio Ink: Why do you believe so strongly that this is a money making format for radio?
Sebastian: The significant advertising agencies in New York, LA, Chicago, etc are already aware of the huge revenue potential by appealing to Baby Boomers. Just watch prime time television any evening and you’ll witness commercial after commercial aimed directly at 55+. They’re spending billions going after this demo. Ad agencies have been reticent to include radio in their buys when there has been no format appropriate for this huge group of people. Classic Rock and Classic Hits don’t do it for advertisers. Those formats, like so many others, focus on 25-54. The agencies will spend on radio once there’s a format exclusively for 55-72.

Radio Ink: Are you saying there is no other format on the radio now that targets Baby Boomers?
Sebastian: There may be AM stations or translators or signal challenged FMs that do a Boomer type format but there is not a single full signal FM station in the land playing the unique mix I’ve created. It’s never been done in the history of radio programming. 70’s Soft Rock/The Breeze is nothing more than the Light Rock format renamed. The Demo it appeals to is quite a bit younger. The AAA format is literally nothing like my concept. I’ve done AAA and other progressive radio formats…great music…but very different than The Wow Factor which is both eclectic and completely familiar…a powerful and unique combination. The music on this new format is a merging of songs representing the full breadth of the Boomer music experience and history. I’ve recently completed a project of testing and researching every single song in the format. The list is pristine and ready for air.

Radio Ink: Tell us about the hosts. Who will they be?
Sebastian: The air staff on Wow stations will be just as unique as the music. We’ll be looking for veteran personalities who are personally passionate about the music and have experience in the market where they will perform. They must be announcers who can tell a story in very brief form.

Anyone trying such a format will have to convince the advertisers and ad agencies that baby boomers can be marketed to cost-efficiently, which will be tough because they can't. Going full-out, old-school personality-plus radio? No station would be able to pay a full-time staff with the revenue that would generate.

You'd also have the problem of listeners who remember and appreciate that style of radio dying off. The sad truth of relying on nostalgia to fuel the present.

Eclectic radio, particularly eclectic radio that combines the formats he's talking about, is not a consensus radio format. It's simply ipod on shuffle. Programming a radio station that appeals to 55-72 isn't hard to do. There are lots of former programmers from that era who can do that. The hard part is attracting advertisers who won't trash up the music with long-form infomercials selling complicated financial plans and medical quackery. You can hear the kind of advertisers this format will attract on talk radio. Imagine those advertisers with music interspersed. That's what this is.

What I keep saying. You want to play the music of my youth with jocks who sound like the jocks of my youth, but replace the acne medicine with products that remind me I'm getting old and my parts don't work like they used to. Not to mention the issue Mr. Sebastion is going to have with advertiser perceptions, plus convincing an owner to hire a 24/7 staff.
Eclectic radio, particularly eclectic radio that combines the formats he's talking about, is not a consensus radio format. It's simply ipod on shuffle. Programming a radio station that appeals to 55-72 isn't hard to do. There are lots of former programmers from that era who can do that. The hard part is attracting advertisers who won't trash up the music with long-form infomercials selling complicated financial plans and medical quackery. You can hear the kind of advertisers this format will attract on talk radio. Imagine those advertisers with music interspersed. That's what this is.

Getting a chuckle out of the fact that Sebastian is pushing this codswallop of a format idea. Back in the '70s, he came to WCOZ Boston, an AOR with plenty of personality and a full-time air staff and turned all of them into liner readers. Reminds me of Lee Abrams turning free-form into ultra-tight AOR, then resurfacing in 2001 at XM and filling channels with all the stuff he told the stations he consulted back in the '70s to stop playing. Again, the folly of trying to fuel the present (and future) with the past.

Not to mention the issue Mr. Sebastion is going to have with advertiser perceptions, plus convincing an owner to hire a 24/7 staff.

It sounds to me like Sebastian would be delivering this as a nationally distributed format, so he would be hiring the staff. The stations would just turn on the faucet.

It sounds to me like Sebastian would be delivering this as a nationally distributed format, so he would be hiring the staff. The stations would just turn on the faucet.

I think you're right. Regardless, returning music-centric personality radio to the airwaves in 2019 will certainly attract a few nostalgic fans with fond memories of their ravorite stations of the '60s and '70s, but their numbers can do nothing but decline with each passing year and there'll be no "next generation" of that type of radio to replace them.

We already have a station here programmed to that demographic.
WKFB in Irwin, PA. All oldies with a playlist that spans Doo-Wop up to the 70's.
I don't think they subscribe to the book but anecdotally they are quite popular.

The issue as always for this format is that so far as national advertisers are concerned
the listener turns into a pumpkin at age 50.

The issue as always for this format is that so far as national advertisers are concerned

They're just very hard to sell. Just look at all the complaints on this board about commercial load. They're all coming from boomers.

We already have a station here programmed to that demographic.
WKFB in Irwin, PA. All oldies with a playlist that spans Doo-Wop up to the 70's.
I don't think they subscribe to the book but anecdotally they are quite popular.

Pumpkins don’t mature until age 55, not 50.

>>>Just watch prime time television any evening and you’ll witness commercial after commercial aimed directly at 55+. They’re spending billions going after this demo.<<<

Anyone know if this is truly a fact?

>>>Just watch prime time television any evening and you’ll witness commercial after commercial aimed directly at 55+. They’re spending billions going after this demo.<<<

Anyone know if this is truly a fact?

It's not true.

But it is a bit more complicated than that.

The older leaning cable nets, such as the news channels, do get a lot of revenue for senior-specific products such as meds that are mostly prescribed to older persons, investment products like gold, leisure travel in guided tours, etc.

These products don't buy local radio. They buy very specifically on some network and lots of cable channels because they need the visual aspect.

Example #1: a medication for osteoporosis uses tv to show the active, fun walk-the-dog-on-the-beach life you can have with the use of the drug. The visuals are about lifestyle, and TV does it better.

Example #2: reverse mortgages where an older spokesperson tries to dispel wrong thinking about this financial product by being friendly, warm and being in a comfort-zone location. The visual is what sells.

Example #3: walk in bathtubs show how a senior can walk in, get a nice whirlpool bath and exist safely. It has to be shown, not talked about.

Example #4: Electric star lifts that show an older person who can't climb stairs but does not want to move out of the home they own. It is made to look easy and even fun. Visual is critical.

Example #5: European river cruises. These $5 thousand dollar or so trips are sold by beautiful aerial film, delicious dining, lovely rooms and great river views of old castles and big churches. Without the visual, it is just an expensive and long trip.

The key issue here is the visual. There are lots of products aimed at older consumers, and they just don't use radio, and nearly never use local radio. They use the AARP magazine, mailers, and lots of cheaper-buy old-leaning cable and broadcast TV that is bought nationally, not locally.

I mentioned in another thread that I live in a market of a half million that has a median age of over 53. There are loads of local radio stations... about 30 of them. Several target seniors, but they do extremely poorly. But the TV stations get loads of buys targeted at the wealthy older folks because they can show their friendly A/C repair techs, the lovely restaurant, the wide assortment of golf carts, the before and after cosmetic surgery pics, the great look of dental implants and procedures, and the sparkling diamonds, rubies and emeralds in the jewelry stores.

Again, at the local level in the richest predominantly 50+ market in the country, radio does not get dollars because seniors, if they can be sold, are best sold with visuals.

Getting a chuckle out of the fact that Sebastian is pushing this codswallop of a format idea.

You said it all.

And I remember his creation of a couple of decades ago, EOR: Eclectic Oriented Rock.

Same thing. Hiram Codd was right.

I remember his creation of a couple of decades ago, EOR: Eclectic Oriented Rock.

Now that you mention it, yes that's right. Here's a Wikipedia listing for a station near Baltimore:

"The station's call sign was changed to WGRX in 1984, with a format change to "Eclectic Oriented Rock", a hybrid format created by Radio Consultant John Sebastian"

It lasted a couple years before flipping to classic rock.

So he likes that eclectic thing. To me, it means public radio. All Things Eclectic. Or the show at KCRW: Morning Becomes Eclectic.

To he likes that eclectic thing. To me, it means public radio.

To me, it means too many unfamiliar stiffs. Airosol Nielsen repellent.

One of my favorite stations these days is Baltimore's WQLL-1370, "classic hits", with decent local jocks morning/afternoon & satellite the rest of the day. Heavy on the yacht rock. Co-owned with conservative talker WCBM, they're running all the same ads. Recently, and I think I heard right, they've been "broadcasting from the (Ajax) Assisted Living Studios". They've done a few concert tie-ins with tribute bands & have been heavily promoting an evening with the Amazing Kreskin. BTW, I'm slightly young for this, I guess, at 47!

This format also makes me think of CFZM 740 "Zoomer Radio" from Toronto, or WVLT 92.1 Vineland, NJ. Both stations are unique in all the world.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom