• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A New Version of 96 ROCK?

Then why did the station ditch the Braves when that contract concluded?

Most likely the contract was up. Did the loss of baseball help ratings at all? If adding baseball was detrimental, did the loss result in an improvement? From what I can see, the answer is no. In July 21, they got a 2.0, July 22 they got 1.7. In August 21 they got a 1.7, and August 22, they got a 1.3. So they lost audience when they lost baseball.

Most likely the contract was up. Did the loss of baseball help ratings at all? If adding baseball was detrimental, did the loss result in an improvement? From what I can see, the answer is no. In July 21, they got a 2.0, July 22 they got 1.7. In August 21 they got a 1.7, and August 22, they got a 1.3. So they lost audience when they lost baseball.
You'd have to look at the daypart ratings to know for sure. Otherwise it could just be a coincidence and the audience loss due to other factors.

You'd have to look at the daypart ratings to know for sure. Otherwise it could just be a coincidence and the audience loss due to other factors.

The same could have been said when they added baseball. You can't have it both ways. If adding baseball "wrecked" the station, this year should have been better.

I agree this year should've been better. Many moves have damaged the station over a period of time. I think Dave Milner and Axel Lowe have no idea what they're doing, personally.

It would be interesting to compare winter period ratings over the last few years to summer book ratings of the same year to get more of an apples to apples read during the era the Braves were carried.

This summer versus last summer features totally different morning and afternoon drive programming. Remember, Elliot Segal was recently added in mornings.

Back to
After the full Class C stations, no FM covers more than half the population of the metro. The translators barely get 10%. Once you eliminate the rimshots and Class A's, the market has very few good signals.
I am in Chattanooga twice a month and the terrain and the maps don’t always match up. Over Half of Chattanooga’s market population (606,900) is in Hamilton County 364,718, Catoosa County (GA) has 67,181 Walker County GA has 68,756 and Dade County has 16,187 These four counties have a 2020 census population of 515,842 or 85% of the market and are mostly within 20 miles from Downtown Chattanooga. The steep hills limit where most of the population can live. Most of the Chattanooga market’s population lives in or near the relatively flat Tennessee River valley which is surrounded by steep hills. If you can get on the top of the valley walls your translator can cover a very large part of the population with 60db: W224AZ-FM 92.7 MHz - Chattanooga, TN. The line of site and view from the top of Signal Mountain is amazing.

Marion County TN is in the Sequatchie Valley and isolated by the mountains from the rest of the market. I wonder why Marion County is in the Chattanooga market and Bradley County TN is not according to a 2012 Nielson map:

https://www.arbitron.com/downloads/arb_us_metro_map_12.pdf

The COL of WUSY (#1 6+) is Cleveland TN (Bradley County).

Someone forgot to tell WUUQ (not one of the C0’s) with a C2 signal 4.1 (6+) that they should not beat a CO WDOD 3.9 (6+) And should WXRX 3.7 (6+) is a class A be that completive?

All of the C0s are part of a cluster except WDOD. Common sense says what ever programing that can bill the most goes on the biggest signal.

Marion County TN is in the Sequatchie Valley and isolated by the mountains from the rest of the market. I wonder why Marion County is in the Chattanooga market and Bradley County TN is not according to a 2012 Nielson map:

https://www.arbitron.com/downloads/arb_us_metro_map_12.pdf

The COL of WUSY (#1 6+) is Cleveland TN (Bradley County).
That's really odd that Bradley County and Whitfield County (Dalton) aren't in the Chattanooga Arbitron/Nielsen market nor the Chattanooga MSA. I could see that if Cleveland and Dalton are their own "micro metros", but not really.

More info here about the Chattanooga combined statistical area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattanooga–Cleveland–Dalton_combined_statistical_area

That might also explain why Hall County, GA isn't in the Atlanta metro, due to Gainesville being its own area. Oh, and Gainesville is the CoL of Atlanta's two full class C's (WSRV River and WAKL).

The same could have been said when they added baseball. You can't have it both ways. If adding baseball "wrecked" the station, this year should have been better.
If baseball were the ONLY change they have made over time, you'd have a point. But it's not the only change they have made--they have tweaked the music and personalities. Not saying baseball was or wasn't a factor--you'd have to look at individual dayparts before WNNX started carrying the Braves and while they are carrying the Braves, and whether it was baseball season or not, as well as morning show and other personality changes, and changes to the playlist. Maybe listenership during games went up, and maybe it went down, maybe in the same direction as other dayparts and maybe in the opposite direction.

I'll let you have the last word.

That's really odd that Bradley County and Whitfield County (Dalton) aren't in the Chattanooga Arbitron/Nielsen market nor the Chattanooga MSA. I could see that if Cleveland and Dalton are their own "micro metros", but not really.

More info here about the Chattanooga combined statistical area https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattanooga–Cleveland–Dalton_combined_statistical_area

That might also explain why Hall County, GA isn't in the Atlanta metro, due to Gainesville being its own area. Oh, and Gainesville is the CoL of Atlanta's two full class C's (WSRV River and WAKL).
Remember, Nielsen does not use US Census Metropolitan Statistical Areas... they have their own Metro Survey Areas based on radio listening patterns (primarily) and commute patterns (secondary).

The Nielsen MSAs can and do change,with counties joining or leaving the metro in annual revisions.

According to google maps it is 31.7 miles or (35 minutes) from downtown Cleveland TN to downtown Chattanooga. It is 30.8 miles (31 minutes) to South Pittsburg. So is nine tens of a mile is keeping Cleveland TN out of the Chattanooga market? If you add Bradely County’s TN population (106,924) to the existing 621,200 in the market you get 728,124, which would make Chattanooga the # 76 market just ahead of Charleston SC.* Both counties “shop” at Hamilton Mall. I know a lot of Malls are dying and hurt a lot of local radio sponsor’s business but malls do have an economic impact.

Being a larger market Nielsen could charge a little more for Chattanooga. Bradley county has more than it share of Chattanooga market stations**.

Or Cleveland TN alone should be market #244, edging out Sioux City, IA. (102,800)

*https://www.nielsen.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2022/04/bluebook_sp22.pdf
**Radio Stations in Cleveland, Tennessee.

Second Hand gossip:

I knew a couple WFLI employees in the mid 1970’s and they both claimed that the other Chattanooga Radio AM stations (5KW or less at that time) lobbied to keep Cleveland TN. and Dalton GA out of the market because of 1070’s massive (by market standards) signal in Bradley and Whitfield Counties. 50 KW in a due east directional pattern gave WFLI really good signal in Bradley and Whitfield Counties. IMHO: due to the poor soil conductivity in this area only the “red coverage” counts. South Pittsburg was added because WFLI had no usable signal in Marion County. I doubt Chattanooga radio stations had any effect on Arbitron but looking at WFLI”s coverage map*** I could see where such a rumor could get started.

*** WFLI-AM Radio Station Coverage Map

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom