• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A new radio format for Fayetteville

I have an idea for a new radio format for Fayetteville (and all of Northwest Arkansas). Not only would it be new to the area, it would also be the first of its kind for any radio station as non have done a format quite like the one I am about to describe. Anyways, here's what the format would be.

Format: 90's and 2000's top 40 music

Description: Stations airing this format would play top 40 music from 1990-2009. The music would be pulled from Billboards Mainstream top 40 (or pop songs) charts.

Artists: Here is a sampling of the artists played just to give you a refresher on what was played on top 40 radio in the 90's and 2000's; The Cranberries, The Beatles (1995 Anthology 1 reunion single only. That would be Free Like a Bird), Alanis Morrisete, Green Day, American Hi-Fi (Flavor of the weak), Simple Plan, Hoobastank (The Reason), Nickleback, Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Nelly, and so much more.

The problem: I have no idea who would be interested in launching a format like this. You could compare this format to that of oldies and classic hits, but featuring a more recent playlist than those of most oldies and classic hits stations. You could also call this format recent "oldies" (with the name implying that the songs are newer than most oldies and classic hits playlists). If any of you guys know of anyone who would be interested in experimenting with this kind of format, please, direct them here. There is really no dedicated place on radio (outside of satellite radio) that plays authentic 90's, let alone 2000's top 40 without it being bogged down with songs from other decades such as the 70's and 80's (as is the case with Jack FM and its clones, and Radio John/Deek 94.9). This station will play, and only play Mainstream top 40 songs from 1990-2009, and nothing else (If enough demand is there, a top 40 oldies program focusing on older top 40 hits from 1989 and earlier may be added, probably on the weekends).

I personally would like this, but I think this is tough sell for now. Star 101.5 has mixed in more 90s as of late. Today, I heard Skee-Lo "I Wish". 80s is still the sweet spot for classic hits, but gradually starting to hear less 70s and more 90s. As for the 2000s, it is in that era when it is not current enough for CHR and marginal for Hot AC but nostalgic enough for classic hits yet. Maybe if Star 101.5 is still around in a decade, this is the station you are looking for.

I personally would like this, but I think this is tough sell for now. Star 101.5 has mixed in more 90s as of late. Today, I heard Skee-Lo "I Wish". 80s is still the sweet spot for classic hits, but gradually starting to hear less 70s and more 90s. As for the 2000s, it is in that era when it is not current enough for CHR and marginal for Hot AC but nostalgic enough for classic hits yet. Maybe if Star 101.5 is still around in a decade, this is the station you are looking for.

I think it will be too. I even asked Brock and Marci if they would do a gradual introduction of 2000's music, as in, they add in 2000's music a year at a time (for instance, 2020 would see music from 2000, 2021 from 2001, 2022 from 2002, etc). but said they weren't doing it. I think that would make sense to do it like that as Crazy For This Girl by Evan and Jaron is 20 years old having come out in 2000. Plus there are others like Flavor of the Week by American Hi-Fi, and the Mad Season album by Matchbox 20.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom