• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A Need I Have

Sorry for this post. The radio station is off the air again, due to a new Computer issue. Just checked the fans and they're running. For some reason, the broadcast keeps going off every few minutes. It started tonight during our SG block. If anyone reading can help me pinpoint the problem, please let me know. If anyone reading wants to help me get a Small Form Factor Optiplex 780 Computer from Dell, that would be awesome. Mr. Chris is now advising me to go on ahead and get another Computer, like this one and a spare for backup. This is going to put a slight dent in my future plans but once I do return, I intend to set up the stream and broadcast on the Internet. Thanks!​

Dan <><

Could be a software failure with your automation or your operating system. I would probably recommend investing in a newer model than that, if possible, simply because that model is over 10 years old at this point.

My own engineer wants to get this same model, so he can move the hard drive from the older unit to this one. It'll be a lot easier on him to do it.​

Dan <><

These old Dell 780 PCs were once very common in business, government and educational facilities. There are a bunch listed on eBay for $40 to $70. If you're not comfortable using eBay, check with a local auctioneer, estate sale company, or surplus store.

PS: I think I recall you had a similar problem just a few months ago. It might be beneficial to make plans for something newer. The Dell 780s were made 2008-2010, so they are all pretty old now. These things were probably designed to work banker's hours for 2 or 3 years, not run 24/7 for 10 years.

Here's a pic of one, I just found and ordered. If anyone else wants to help me get another one, let me know. Hope to be back on, by the middle of next week. Once we return, then the streaming side will premier.​

Dan <><

Dan, Is it the automation system crashing? Or, Is it Windows? If you turn on the computer and just boot up Windows does it stay on?

Always keep a backup of all audio files on a slave or thumb drive.

What automation software do you use? What version of Windows?

Last edited by a moderator:
The version of Windows is 7. I use Simian. I also have much of my content on a back up Western Digital hard drive. This issue started last night. Was on the phone with my engineer for a long period of time, to pinpoint the problem. At first, we thought it was a fan issue but discovered it wasn't. No error messages came up, when the programming started spitting and then stopped. I did a restart of the Computer, three times but the issue started again and then I decided to go off the air, after the third restart, till I can fix the issue and/or replace the Computer. Man I'm so ready now to stream the broadcast but till I get back on, that's not happening.​

Dan <><

Last edited:
Perhaps this might be a good time to consider the adage "Two is One and One is None".

Procurement of a single PC (again...) to get back on-air is good, but some sort of emergency use apparatus needs to be put into action. You need this just to keep you on-air and broadcasting *something*, even if it's only a tape loop explaining the situation to your audience.

I wish you all the luck to get back on-air in a timely manner.

Perhaps this might be a good time to consider the adage "Two is One and One is None".
...This is especially when you're dealing with 'reconditioned' PCs of a model run that hasn't been manufactured in 12 years. While it may be simplest to buy older stuff that's supposedly compatible with everything you're currently using, including the hard drive and content, eventually by sticking with older equipment that's less reliable and potentially harder to find, you also risk painting yourself into the proverbial corner over time.

I dealt with those types of issues in the aerospace industry I was in before retirement. Finally, after 15+ years of use, the hardware emulators of ancient DEC PDP computer systems just had to be replaced. Thirty years worth of software had to be ported to newer, more supportable systems.

The version of Windows is 7. I use Simian. I also have much of my content on a back up Western Digital hard drive. This issue started last night. Was on the phone with my engineer for a long period of time, to pinpoint the problem. At first, we thought it was a fan issue but discovered it wasn't. No error messages came up, when the programming started spitting and then stopped. I did a restart of the Computer, three times but the issue started again and then I decided to go off the air, after the third restart, till I can fix the issue and/or replace the Computer. Man I'm so ready now to stream the broadcast but till I get back on, that's not happening.​

Dan <><
If the computer stays on and Windows stays up? It looks like a software issue. You likely don't need to replace the computer. First install Zara and see if it will play your audio files. LINK If that works than you need to reinstall Simian. IF Zara has the same problem playing audio, than you need to uninstall your sound card in device manager and reboot to reinstall it.

Sorry for this post. The radio station is off the air again, due to a new Computer issue. Just checked the fans and they're running. For some reason, the broadcast keeps going off every few minutes. It started tonight during our SG block. If anyone reading can help me pinpoint the problem, please let me know. If anyone reading wants to help me get a Small Form Factor Optiplex 780 Computer from Dell, that would be awesome. Mr. Chris is now advising me to go on ahead and get another Computer, like this one and a spare for backup. This is going to put a slight dent in my future plans but once I do return, I intend to set up the stream and broadcast on the Internet. Thanks!​

Dan <><
It's ridiculous to try an troubleshoot a PC problem on a radio discussion board.
* What do you mean about the broadcast keeps going off every few minutes? Are you getting an error message on the screen? If so, what does it say?
* How do you know it's the automation PC, or something else between the PC and your transmitter? For that matter, are you sure your transmitter isn't going off?

In other words; need more specifics and even screenshots before anyone would be able to actually assist.

No error messages are appearing. All that was happening was the programming was spitting and then the Computer would stop. The transmitter was working fine. After I called the engineer, he and I tried to pinpoint the issue and I did everything he told me to. Since we we're unable to find the issue here, going to take the PC to him tomorrow and let him look into it further.​

Dan <><

P.S. I keep a check on everything inside the radio station, on a daily basis. If I see anything wrong happening, I try to fix it myself and if I can't then I call the engineer and we go from there.​

No error messages are appearing. All that was happening was the programming was spitting and then the Computer would stop.​
What does it mean the computer stops? Does the automation application hang-up? What do you typically do to get it going again, reboot it?
I assume this machine is running Windows. Do you know what version? Windows XP? 7? 10?
Do you know whether Windows auto-update is turned on?
What automation software are you running?

I refer you to post 7, for the Windows Version and Automation Software. When it stops, freezes or hangs up, I shut down everything and do a restart. We keep things updated as needed too. Asked the engineer if the issue was with the Automation Software today but he didn't think it was. He keeps telling me, Dan, it could be various factors involved. That's why I'm taking the PC to him tomorrow and see what he discovers. Anyway, I want to thank everyone reading for their continued help and advice. I'll let you know what we discover.​

Dan <><

Could have been a sound card issue, could be another application like McAfee or Norton trying to do a virus scan that keeps tying up resources. There's probably literally hundreds of possible combinations.

One thing, I don't use the internet on the broadcast or production computer. I do all my internet surfing on this Apple Computer, where I'm typing my latest response. My own engineer advised me not to surf the web from those two Computers. If I did that, then I would have to load a virus blocker and that would slow everything down.​

Dan <><

P.S. Hope the issue is something that can be fixed very quickly.

Most software problems can be fixed remotely if the computer is put online for the tech to take a peek.

The Computer is now in good hands, with my engineer. He's going to see what's happening. In the meantime, going to wait for another Computer, I just ordered. Hope to get it here and in operation sometime next week, where I can return and then start streaming this broadcast.

Dan <><

P.S. To all reading,

Hope to be back tomorrow night. Just got the new Computer. Plan on taking it tomorrow and letting the engineer set it up. Hope this one will work and allow me to broadcast again. Excited is the Word. :)

Dan <><

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom