• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A Fine Segue

B

bossmsx

Heard this yesterday on 97.9 WRMF (Palm Beach) here in South Florida..They're Hot AC normally, but they run "Wayback Weekends", which are along the lines of Variety Hits..

Generally not supposed to be a good segue within Orthodox formatics, but given the format involved, this is just what we're looking for.

Chaka Khan "Ain't Nobody", into Nirvana "All Apologies"....Beautiful!

Anyone have any other 'priceless segues' they've heard within this format??

> Heard this yesterday on 97.9 WRMF (Palm Beach) here in South
> Florida..They're Hot AC normally, but they run "Wayback
> Weekends", which are along the lines of Variety Hits..
>
> Generally not supposed to be a good segue within Orthodox
> formatics, but given the format involved, this is just what
> we're looking for.
>
> Chaka Khan "Ain't Nobody", into Nirvana "All
> Apologies"....Beautiful!
>
> Anyone have any other 'priceless segues' they've heard
> within this format??
>
Worst segue ever was a dry one.....Sinead O'Connor "Nothing Compares 2 You" into J-Kwon's "Tipsy".....while this station (KRTI Newton, IA) is not technically a "Variety Hits"....they are just a very poorly programmed small town Hot AC....(which to me is exactly what Variety Hits or Jack is all about....hot ac....loose the currents....grow the gold....I don't see why its sooooo "visionary")

> Worst segue ever was a dry one.....Sinead O'Connor "Nothing
> Compares 2 You" into J-Kwon's "Tipsy".....while this station
> (KRTI Newton, IA) is not technically a "Variety
> Hits"....they are just a very poorly programmed small town
> Hot AC....(which to me is exactly what Variety Hits or Jack
> is all about....hot ac....loose the currents....grow the
> gold....I don't see why its sooooo "visionary")

Wow, that is a horrid segue. And dry at that, ha! I think both Sinead O'Connor and J-Kwon would be angry about that if they knew.

I don't know of any Variety Hits station that would play "Tipsy". Hip hop is not part of the equation. As for the comparison of VH to small town bad Hot AC, I've heard both formats (if you can call "small town bad Hot AC" a format), and I would suggest that the difference is that VH is *much* more carefully researched as far as what songs from 1974-present that were Top 40 hits would appeal best to that P35-44 sub-demo that is being aimed for. Whereas with small-town Hot AC (where they have a little bit of everything), you can hear Buddy Holly into Billy Joel into Boyz II Men into old U2. Seriously, I once heard Buddy Holly on a small town Hot AC station in eastern Kentucky in 2000. Then again, that station bragged about playing everything from the 50s to "today", so take that as you will.

Variety Hits is imaged to sound like a "non-format", but it's very carefully crafted and built, typically with a 1,200-1,250 playlist (with a library of 2,000 or more), unlike small town radio, where it really is thrown together in many cases without rhyme or reason.

However, you're not alone in having expressed the opinion that VH isn't that different from small town Hot AC, and I respect that outlook. I just think that the research and careful crafting is what makes it work. Small town Hot AC wouldn't work in Dallas or Denver or Oklahoma City or Norfolk or most all of Canada, but the success stories there (and elsewhere) seem to back up that the format is one that works well.

As for the visionary factor issue, I do agree that it's a pretty simple thing. Hits=Ratings. If someone can make electronica or dance music into a viable commerical format, that's visionary (and I had my hopes with the late "Party" stations that Cox tried in Orlando and Miami, but alas it didn't work). But I give credit to the people who did take songs from multiple genres, put them into one format, get the first few stations to believe in it (that's the REALLY hard part), and then get the success stories to get the ball rolling.

I know that there are many people who think the format is bunk and that it's smoke and mirrors that won't last. To that end, I say: time will tell. It always does.<P ID="signature">______________
Lou Pickney
Tampa, FL
RadioHotTalk.com & VarietyHits.com</P>

> P35-44 sub-demo that is being aimed for. Whereas with
> small-town Hot AC (where they have a little bit of
> everything), you can hear Buddy Holly into Billy Joel into
> Boyz II Men into old U2.

WGTX, 1280 AM in DeFuniak Springs, Florida....I checked somewhere and they are now listed as "Talk", with apparently satellite shows....Yet another AM that went into the "We're AM, so we have to dump all music and local programming and pick up 3rd and 4th tier talk shows from the bird" virus that has been plaguing many AMs in markets large and small for well over a decade.

I was lucky to get an aircheck of them a little over a year ago...Think they ranged from Smashing Pumpkins "1979", to Elvis from the 50s, and I caught them on a webcast playing "Sara" from Starship....

> Worst segue ever was a dry one.....Sinead O'Connor "Nothing
> Compares 2 You" into J-Kwon's "Tipsy".....while this station
> (KRTI Newton, IA) is not technically a "Variety
> Hits"....they are just a very poorly programmed small town
> Hot AC...

Someone once mentioned in another board here in the days of "Rock 40" in the 80s a station that went from AC/DC "You Shook Me All Night Long" into Anita Baker "Sweet Love"....Never bothered to ask what station it was but every time I hear either song I can't help but recall that.

> Someone once mentioned in another board here in the days of
> "Rock 40" in the 80s a station that went from AC/DC "You
> Shook Me All Night Long" into Anita Baker "Sweet
> Love"....Never bothered to ask what station it was but every
> time I hear either song I can't help but recall that.

I have an aircheck of a 1981 CHR going from Ronnie Milsap "Smokey Mountain Rain" to AC/DC "Back In Black" ...both songs were currents at the time

And an "adult standards" station from about 5 years ago going from Janis Joplin "Me And Bobbie McGee" to Perez Prado "Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom