• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A FEW RECENT DX CATCHES ON AM

cyberdad said:
Tincap said:
stormy01 said:
. Has anyone heard WFIL here?

From my location near Brockville ON (44°35N 75°41W), I'm catching snippets of WFIL right now, fading in and out, but got a positive station ID. Conversation with man and woman, regarding divorce and the Bible. CFOS is underneath and at times breaking on top, slowly winning out...

BG

I go through Brockville a couple of times each year on my runs between Montreal and either Toronto or upstate New York. Once in a while I stop for the night. If I'm not trying to get some work done in my room, or over at Kelsey's parked behind a cold Alexander Keith's, at some point I'm usually sampling the DX. My experience with 560 has been pretty much the same as yours....CFOS, WFIL, and maybe WGAN or WCKL (if they're even still on). I also seem to remember French from somewhere in Quebec, although I may be thinking of Three Rivers, QC on 550.

Nice! I know Kelsey's is pretty handy there on Parkedale Blvd, but you should give the downtown area a visit. There's a nice pub/restaurant right off of Court House Square. I forget the name of it...haven't done a bar in years...however the surroundings are much nicer than that parking lot at Kelsey's (mind you, after the 3rd Kieth's -or "Keets", as they say down east- the surroundings wont matter!).

When are you next through town?

BG

The deal with Kelsey's is that it's two minutes from the hotels and has fairly decent food. I do remember a nice place downtown...pub/grill. friendly lively place...but it's been a while. I may be through in October, but I think my route then will more likely be Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-NYC. (Apologies for veering this off topic)

Logged CKAT 600 North Bay, ON - Country format - this has been consistent almost every night, especially Midnight-4a.m. Central Time. FYI I've also been getting good reception of Canadians 620 CKRM Regina, SK (Country format); 920 CFRY Portage La Prairie, MB (Country format) and 1050 CKSB Winnipeg (Saint Boniface), MB [Première Chaîne - in French] in the No. Illinois area in case these stations aren't in your logs and you'd like to log these...

Also I have figured out the Mexican music station on 1090 is from Colorado. It's been on several nights in a row up to about 10:00 p.m. Central Time, at times with a very good signal, sometimes up to S9. Their local sunset is 6:15 p.m. (5:15 Central) so they have been on well past the time they should be powering down from 50kW, and this has happened several times in the last few months. 1090 is KMXA Aurora, CO.

stormy01 said:
Logged CKAT 600 North Bay, ON - Country format - this has been consistent almost every night, especially Midnight-4a.m. Central Time. FYI I've also been getting good reception of Canadians 620 CKRM Regina, SK (Country format); 920 CFRY Portage La Prairie, MB (Country format) and 1050 CKSB Winnipeg (Saint Boniface), MB [Première Chaîne - in French] in the No. Illinois area in case these stations aren't in your logs and you'd like to log these...

Also I have figured out the Mexican music station on 1090 is from Colorado. It's been on several nights in a row up to about 10:00 p.m. Central Time, at times with a very good signal, sometimes up to S9. Their local sunset is 6:15 p.m. (5:15 Central) so they have been on well past the time they should be powering down from 50kW, and this has happened several times in the last few months. 1090 is KMXA Aurora, CO.

You're getting CKRM over WTMJ?

From Donnelson IA ( SE IA) (last week)-there were no unusual catches although WBZ 1030 was at times stronger than semi local WHO. Was impressed with the high quality signals from Atl on 750, Denver on 850, N.O. on 870. The jackpot was in far eastern IN near Richmond just round local sunrise. Got KC on 610, Fulton Mo KFAL 900 either running nitetime power of 135 watts or daytime at 1000 watts. About a 350-400 mi catch nonetheless. But I got CBR Calgary on 1010 and KFI 640. KFI came in for a few minutes then poof. Must be 2000+ mi for KFI, dunno about Calgary. FWIW KOA was just booming in from well over 1000 mi. Incredibly strong.
The receiver was my semi crappy Bose Wave radio (or so i thought.)

stormy01 said:

I've snagged all of these in the Chicago area, with the exception of CKAT. I'll try that one, because I have heard it in quite a few other places. They have a good signal day and night. CKRM and CKSB are here almost every night, but especially good pre-dawn. And yes, all you've got to do for CKRM is null WTMJ. Sometimes, you don't even need to do that.

cyberdad said:
stormy01 said:

I've snagged all of these in the Chicago area, with the exception of CKAT. I'll try that one, because I have heard it in quite a few other places. They have a good signal day and night. CKRM and CKSB are here almost every night, but especially good pre-dawn. And yes, all you've got to do for CKRM is null WTMJ. Sometimes, you don't even need to do that.

Another one I will try.

radioman148 said:

No, not over WTMJ, but mixed in at times, usually underneath TMJ. CKSB is the strongest of the three Canadians on 620-920-1050, though if WBAA is not coming in too strong CFRY has a good signal (WOKY is nearly non-existent here at night near Crystal Lake, IL)

vibe said:
The jackpot was in far eastern IN near Richmond just round local sunrise. Got KC on 610, Fulton Mo KFAL 900 either running nitetime power of 135 watts or daytime at 1000 watts. About a 350-400 mi catch nonetheless. But I got CBR Calgary on 1010 and KFI 640. KFI came in for a few minutes then poof. Must be 2000+ mi for KFI, dunno about Calgary. FWIW KOA was just booming in from well over 1000 mi. Incredibly strong.

If you were in Richmond, IN and heard CBR and KFI, that would be incredible since I have never heard CBR from No. Illinois, usually it's CFRB Toronto mixed in with WINS New York City and not heard KFI for years since WOI Ames, WMFN Grand Rapids and WHLO Akron went 24-hrs.

Try something like this for distance calculations: http://www.geobytes.com/citydistancetool.htm

Last night, I noticed some interesting catches on the Sangean PR-D5.

I was able to hear 830 WCCO Minneapolis but mostly, it was under the stronger station on 830 from North Carolina,

Though I've heard a fairly good signal before from KMOX 1120, it's now a much stronger one.

780 WBBM was always the best of the Chicago stations but now the reception is even better.

On 610, WIOD was always a regular at night but last night I as able to hear at least one other starion in the background. Wondering what it could have been.

One I never noticed before was 1200 WOAI San Antonio which has a real good signal.

stormy01 said:
radioman148 said:

No, not over WTMJ, but mixed in at times, usually underneath TMJ. CKSB is the strongest of the three Canadians on 620-920-1050, though if WBAA is not coming in too strong CFRY has a good signal (WOKY is nearly non-existent here at night near Crystal Lake, IL)

vibe said:
The jackpot was in far eastern IN near Richmond just round local sunrise. Got KC on 610, Fulton Mo KFAL 900 either running nitetime power of 135 watts or daytime at 1000 watts. About a 350-400 mi catch nonetheless. But I got CBR Calgary on 1010 and KFI 640. KFI came in for a few minutes then poof. Must be 2000+ mi for KFI, dunno about Calgary. FWIW KOA was just booming in from well over 1000 mi. Incredibly strong.

If you were in Richmond, IN and heard CBR and KFI, that would be incredible since I have never heard CBR from No. Illinois, usually it's CFRB Toronto mixed in with WINS New York City and not heard KFI for years since WOI Ames, WMFN Grand Rapids and WHLO Akron went 24-hrs.

Try something like this for distance calculations: http://www.geobytes.com/citydistancetool.htm

I also only get CFRB or WINS on 1010 and haven't heard KFI in many many years. However, usually in the fall right around midwest sunrise is a good time to try for KFI or KNX.

For those of you in the Chicago area: I've been picking up something under WLS at night. Too faint to tell what it is, but it's mainly talk with some softer sounding music as well. Seems to be right in line geographically with WLS, which is to say that it's north or south of here - can't really null it out. Anyone else hear this? And, if so, any guesses as to who it might be?

radioman148 said:
I also only get CFRB or WINS on 1010 and haven't heard KFI in many many years. However, usually in the fall right around midwest sunrise is a good time to try for KFI or KNX.

I would consider KNBR 680 San Francisco, the only other 50kW omnidirectional from CA as a DX target if WSCR can be nulled out enough at one's location.

stormy01 said:
radioman148 said:

I would consider KNBR 680 San Francisco, the only other 50kW omnidirectional from CA as a DX target if WSCR can be nulled out enough at one's location.

So far, absolutely no dice on KNBR from the Chicago area. When WSCR has had it's Stalinist jammer turned off, I have picked up 680's from WPTF Raleigh, NC, WCTT Corbin, KY and WINR Binghamton, NY. In western NE and eastern SD at night, I actually got KFEQ St. Joseph, MO....in W. NE, KNBR eventually ruled; in eastern SD it was KFEQ all night long.

Probably too much traffic now on 680 to copy KNBR under all but the most extraordinary atmospheric conditions. And, this sort of crowding on a formerly clear frequency is one of the reasons that AM is in trouble.

BRNout said:
So far, absolutely no dice on KNBR from the Chicago area. When WSCR has had it's Stalinist jammer turned off, I have picked up 680's from WPTF Raleigh, NC, WCTT Corbin, KY and WINR Binghamton, NY. In western NE and eastern SD at night, I actually got KFEQ St. Joseph, MO....in W. NE, KNBR eventually ruled; in eastern SD it was KFEQ all night long.

Probably too much traffic now on 680 to copy KNBR under all but the most extraordinary atmospheric conditions. And, this sort of crowding on a formerly clear frequency is one of the reasons that AM is in trouble.

You should be able to receive KFEQ - I hear it a couple times a month. Look for it when either KCSP 610, WHB 810 or KCMO 710 are coming in strong. WINR, now that's a great catch! I would like that or WNBF. It doesn't happen often but this past spring I did hear KNX briefly, so it is still possible.

DXing is kinda like the real estate saying: "Patience, Patience, Patience"

stormy01 said:

What about KFI?

I've got that twice that I could easily identify. Once in New Jersey in the 70s and just early this year down here in Florida.

I don't know about in the mid west but here anyway, 640 isn't that filled up. There could have been many times it's heard in the mix but not enough to identify.

Even though I can easily null out our local 680 here, that frequency is very jammed with stations and I always wonder if KNBR is in there somewhere.

BRNout said:
stormy01 said:
radioman148 said:

I used to be able to get KNBR often in the 70s & 80s in the Chicago area. They came in especially well when then WMAQ signed off on Monday mornings. However, with WSCR's IBOC I don't even try.

While in Eastern IA (near Burlington-Ft.Madison) I tried for 680 SF but instead got WPTF-Raleigh, NC. No KNX either. What definitely suprised me was the strength of the Boston-Philly-and NYC clears. No KFI but KFI the next day from 400 mi further east. Even KOA was stronger in eastern IN than eastern IA. Same approx time of day-just before local snrise. Go figure.

vibe said:
While in Eastern IA (near Burlington-Ft.Madison) I tried for 680 SF but instead got WPTF-Raleigh, NC. No KNX either. What definitely suprised me was the strength of the Boston-Philly-and NYC clears. No KFI but KFI the next day from 400 mi further east. Even KOA was stronger in eastern IN than eastern IA. Same approx time of day-just before local snrise. Go figure.

For those in the midwest interested in capturing KNX try in October at local sunrise especially the last part of the month.
I used to have great success hearing KNX around Chicago sunrise driving down the Kennedy Expressway into the city between 6:40 --7:10AM. At that time of year the grayline seemed to always favor that specific propagation. Sunrise would take out Indy, Sarnia, Ontario, & Birmingham and just at the right time I'd hear KNX very well sometimes for a few minutes. KFI used to come in also until the Grand Rapids area station came on 640.

BRNout said:
So far, absolutely no dice on KNBR from the Chicago area.

I've snagged it, but it's probably been at least ten or fifteen years. Actually it didn't used to be all that unusual or difficult, but I agree that it's now pretty much "mission impossible" these days.

cyberdad said:
BRNout said:
So far, absolutely no dice on KNBR from the Chicago area.

I've snagged it, but it's probably been at least ten or fifteen years. Actually it didn't used to be all that unusual or difficult, but I agree that it's now pretty much "mission impossible" these days.

It's been a long time for me as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom