• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A Beautiful Music radio special

On the University radio station I work at, we have a show called "Sunday Night @ The Oldies". It focuses on music from the 1960s and 1970s, with a nod to the early 1980s. Occasionally specially themed shows are broadcast. Every once in a while, I'm pressed into service as a fill-in host.
I'll be doing an all-Country music edition on Sunday 03/05/2023.

Some years ago, I did a Beautiful Music edition where I mentioned all of the stations that had Beautiful Music formats in the market of Cleveland, Ohio, of which there were a good number. I'm contemplating doing another show. The station, and I, have records and CDs by instrumental artists like the 101 strings, Ronnie Aldrich, Percy Faith and Mantovani ... and vocalists such as Tony Bennett, Robert Goulet, Peggy Lee and Frank Sinatra, among others.

I'm thinking about how to format the show. The show lasts 3 hours and I was thinking of playing 4 instrumentals and then one vocal throughout the show. I would be careful not to play a really slow, and mellow track immediately followed by one that is particularly upbeat. Tempo changes would, often, come after breaks.
Comments:

I’m thinking of the original-remake weekends our local oldies station used to have - wonder if people would like a “beautiful music” version of a song followed by the top 40 vocal hit version of the same song.

I’m thinking of the original-remake weekends our local oldies station used to have - wonder if people would like a “beautiful music” version of a song followed by the top 40 vocal hit version of the same song.
Another good concept for a specialty show. Thank you.

Some years ago, I did a Beautiful Music edition where I mentioned all of the stations that had Beautiful Music formats in the market of Cleveland, Ohio, of which there were a good number. I'm contemplating doing another show. The station, and I, have records and CDs by instrumental artists like the 101 strings, Ronnie Aldrich, Percy Faith and Mantovani ... and vocalists such as Tony Bennett, Robert Goulet, Peggy Lee and Frank Sinatra, among others.
By the mid-70's, the Beautiful Music stations in Cleveland all used syndicated product and as much as a third of the instrumentals were custom productions, mostly from English orchestras which were also some of the BBC "House Orchestras" in that era... ones like Norrie Paramour.

Also by that time, there was a lot less Tony Bennett, little Goulet and Peggy Lee and no Sinatra on the format. 101 Strings was very 60's, as was a lot of the Mantovani. Think Pourcel. Mauriat, Caravelli. Of course, the core vocal in the format was "Last Farewell" by Roger Whitaker ;).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom