• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

99X Ordered Off the Air

If 99X gets back on the air, Atlanta have 3 Alternative stations, with each skewing differently: 99X - newer alternative, Alt 105.7 - 90s to current harder alternative, and The Other side of the River 97.7 with mostly classic alternative. I can’t help but think that if TOSOTR got a decently strong metro signal it would outperform the other 2 the way 97.1 The River rules Atlanta rock radio with classic rock hits.

I agree. I love listening to TOSOTR. I think because of its limited signal, most of metro Atlanta hasn’t really gotten a chance to hear it. They would love to have this format playing on a much bigger signal, if they knew it existed. It plays nearly all of the 99X era music.

If you count the WBIE days Kicks 101 could be one of the oldest continuous type of music stations in the market.

WBIE/WKHX is indeed the longest running format on the dial--country since 1968 (50 years).

The oldest callsign on the commercial FM side is, of course, WSB-FM (1948). Second place is WZGC (1972).

The oldest moniker is V-103 (1977). It used to be 96 Rock (1974).

That signal is a threat to no one.

This most likely will never be a “stand or program alone” signal. But IMHO there are operations in Atlanta that could make something out of this translator:
Cox could easily feed this translator with one of their FM’s extra HD channels and hook it up with their 106 and 107 Country operation for a down town signal for northern commuters to listen to until they get past 285. They chip could away at the CHR market. Cox could tack it to 750 AM. After 95.5 gets moved downtown and 750’s signal is not really need for WSB. Cox could do “local talk on 750” just to mess with 106.7.

Clear Channel / IHeart could use the signal to help WGST or flank one of their FM’s. They could also use it to help 105.3’ signal on the east side of town.

Entercom could use it to help WAOK or flank Star 94 with a CHR signal. I don’t think this signal would be the best to flank the V with Urban AC, but I could be wrong.

WVFJ could rent an HD channel to expand Joy 93.3 into downtown east side of Atlanta

I am sure there are smarter folks out there that could figure out more uses for this signal.

Wished I could post video clips from Frankenstein because “It’s Alive” yet again on 98.9.

No change to signal on north side (Alpharetta to Duluth).

Now that the Joy FM owns 88.9 in Athens they can feed a non commercial translator like 89.7

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom