• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

As most everyone else here I lament the absence of local live jocks & corporate radio trying to fool us into thinking all the stations have dj's taking our requests & phone calls. I certainly get a sense of sadness when I pass the the KVOO 'studio' & see a mostly empty parking lot during the day. Anyway one of my many complaints about non local radio was no current weather & time. Not to mention a lost pet alert. But I hear the 99.5 satellite jocks giving current temps & time. How is this possible? I guess it's progress but I sure miss radio when you could call a station 24/7 & a live person would answer.

I don't know how they are doing it at 99.5, but many automation systems have the capability now to interface with a thermometer. The station will have the jock literally record every temp imaginable. "It's 68 degrees at Big Country 99.5!".... "It's 69 degrees at Big Country 99.5!!" Then each temp is recorded as a separate cart... the thermometer module fires off the corresponding cart, and boom! At the end of the weather forecast, it sounds halfway like there is a person in there!

That's how it was done at one station I worked at. I figure it is probably about the same at others like 99.5

Not hard to do with most automation systems. I believe that they use The Dial Global StorQ system (the former Waitt Radio Networks, now DG Local).

Most systems can load local time checks and temps. Still would be better to have some of the legends on their station. Some of the jocks that worked country radio back at the original KVOO. Even Cooper from KWEN.

shaneradio said:
Not hard to do with most automation systems. I believe that they use The Dial Global StorQ system (the former Waitt Radio Networks, now DG Local).

Most systems can load local time checks and temps. Still would be better to have some of the legends on their station. Some of the jocks that worked country radio back at the original KVOO. Even Cooper from KWEN.

Bob Cooper isn't even living in Oklahoma anymore, I don't believe. I think the problem is the "legends" are tired of corporate radio. I certainly can't blame them.

Thanks for the answers. The "current temp" always sounds generic & they still haven't figured out how to provide current conditions such as wind & relative humidity. As an old KVOO jock myself I still miss the usually up to date "Kvoo weathervane".

I am reminded of working at KSPI in 1971 after I had gotten out of the Marine Corps. KSPI had a massive automation system that used a number of cart carousels and had sponsored time and temp feature every half hour. One carousel had the opening for either the time or temp, another carousel had the actual time or temp content. Periodically It would out of sync...so the opening would say "The time is brought to you by so and so” then it would switch to the next carousel which would say “The temperature in Stillwater is so and so degrees.” Bob Cauthon and Mike Grant worked there at the time, Bob named the machine Arnold. The fun of early automation. Grant left to be PD at KAKC and Cauthon was the long time chief engineer at the Clear Channel stations.

michaeldean said:
I am reminded of working at KSPI in 1971 after I had gotten out of the Marine Corps. KSPI had a massive automation system that used a number of cart carousels and had sponsored time and temp feature every half hour. One carousel had the opening for either the time or temp, another carousel had the actual time or temp content. Periodically It would out of sync...so the opening would say "The time is brought to you by so and so” then it would switch to the next carousel which would say “The temperature in Stillwater is so and so degrees.” Bob Cauthon and Mike Grant worked there at the time, Bob named the machine Arnold. The fun of early automation. Grant left to be PD at KAKC and Cauthon was the long time chief engineer at the Clear Channel stations.
Back in the '80s, several television stations named their video cart carousel systems Fred...acronymous with "Fixed or Repaired Every Day."

Back in the '80s, several television stations named their video cart carousel systems Fred...acronymous with "Fixed or Repaired Every Day."

There were a lot of "Freds" and "Ferns" in both radio and tv.

FRED, F****** Repeating Electronic Device, and

FERN, F****** Repeating Electronic Nuisance.

radioaircheck said:
I remember when 99.5 was an AC station as KQMJ Magic 99.5

Classic AC, if I remember. I think we talked about the lawsuit over them using "Magic" here recently. Magic lasted until, what, '91 or '92 then they became AC KSTM "The Storm", then Country KCKI "Kick 99" in...maybe '94? And then they became "The Bull" with current calls as New Country in...I think 2000?

That's the silver lining of being in broadcasting these days. The owners are cheaper than ever (sometimes for good reason not just greed) and yet the equipment, if worked properly, will keep a station sounding almost like it's live. Today's radio is all about figuring out how to do more will less (humans). Things like great automation and the ablity to remote in to it and switch to live when needed for emergency stuff, plus remoted talent that can make things sound smooth really is what it's all about anymore. I don't know what most broadcast schools and colleges teach, but they should be teaching things like how to edit the best a guy can, basic computer skills including networking, webmaster skills, and things like that. Management will hire someone that can be their web guy or knows how to keep the damn computers running and pull some vt shifts before they'll hire the best jock in the world. From a business standpoint, I can't blame them.

Those old carosel systems and even the old Shaffer automation systems would have drove me nuts. There's no way to get them to work right most of the time. Failure was almost a given even with preventitve maintance.

COOPER IS [reasonably] ;D ALIVE AND WELL IN TULSA!! I went to PA in mid '09 to help my sister care for Mom, who's now in a nursing home. Came back the first of '10...in the mobile home industry, marketing and selling Quik Brick, a brick-look ABS plastic home skirting. Also working as spokesman for Lifeway and Mahanaim Homes [dealership] in spots and info-segments that run on Ch 47's "Made In Oklahoma" series. Great to be plying the craft a little; would like to do more. My youngest son is now wanting to pursue radio. WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!?! He's got the pipes...and frankly, the looks for TV if he wanted that [his Mom's contribution, thank God!]...and I'm all for it. That it's not what it was when I came thru doesn't mean it can't be great in new, different ways. So many platforms now.

cooptulsa said:
COOPER IS [reasonably] ;D ALIVE AND WELL IN TULSA!! I went to PA in mid '09 to help my sister care for Mom, who's now in a nursing home. Came back the first of '10...in the mobile home industry, marketing and selling Quik Brick, a brick-look ABS plastic home skirting. Also working as spokesman for Lifeway and Mahanaim Homes [dealership] in spots and info-segments that run on Ch 47's "Made In Oklahoma" series. Great to be plying the craft a little; would like to do more. My youngest son is now wanting to pursue radio. WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?!?! He's got the pipes...and frankly, the looks for TV if he wanted that [his Mom's contribution, thank God!]...and I'm all for it. That it's not what it was when I came thru doesn't mean it can't be great in new, different ways. So many platforms now.

Glad that you're back!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom