• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

99.5 KRPH

Just found '80s alternative/new wave on 99.5 FM. Audio is much lower volume than everything else.

"You're listening to 99.5 KRPH, now serving the city of Phoenix, Arizona."

...or something like that. I've never picked this station up before and the only info I could find seems to be outdated, saying the station is a regional Mexican outlet known as "La Raza". Anyone know what this is? Sorry, if this has already been brought up.

Just found '80s alternative/new wave on 99.5 FM. Audio is much lower volume than everything else.

...or something like that. I've never picked this station up before and the only info I could find seems to be outdated, saying the station is a regional Mexican outlet known as "La Raza". Anyone know what this is? Sorry, if this has already been brought up.
The FCC database shows KRPH "licensed and silent" as of 10/23/21. The main station is licensed to Morristown, with a booster in Wittman. Both are off the air per the FCC, as the licenses expired on 10/1/21. Is this a pirate, or is CDBS a bit behind?

They might just be using this odd mix of new wave to keep the license active. KRPH did the same thing earlier this year.

When last I saw the transmitter site on a hill near Yarnell in October, it was incomplete. The audio processing wasn't hooked up, the transmitter was off; there was no STL, just a piece of gear playing out mp3's (an only one channel of audio at that). I think the licensee is looking for a buyer-not certain.

The FCC database shows KRPH "licensed and silent" as of 10/23/21. The main station is licensed to Morristown, with a booster in Wittman. Both are off the air per the FCC, as the licenses expired on 10/1/21. Is this a pirate, or is CDBS a bit behind?
Did you look in LMS to see if they filed for renewal? All AZ radio had licenses expire on 10/1/21 unless renewed.

When last I saw the transmitter site on a hill near Yarnell in October, it was incomplete. The audio processing wasn't hooked up, the transmitter was off; there was no STL, just a piece of gear playing out mp3's (an only one channel of audio at that). I think the licensee is looking for a buyer-not certain.

They were definitely off the air in October. KRPH is one of those stations that would be difficult to monetize since they really can't move in closer to the population centers. KEMP 99.3 in Payson had been trying to do the same thing for almost 15 years. It's still in operation, but probably just as a tax write-off for its owner.

KRPH still shows being licensed and silent in the CDBS system. The FCC has converted most applications to its new LMS system, but still using the CDBS for STA filings. Also, the LMS shows that the license renewal application for KRPH is still pending. Since its past the renewal date of 10/1/21 for AZ, my guess is the Commission may not grant a renewal until the station get back on the air. Or they may only grant a short term renewal since they have been off the air so much during the last license period. The FCC is cracking down on station not operational enough during a license renewal period. So very possible the license might be in trouble, or at least open to a potential fine, short term renewal or at least some sort of consent decree I see some stations negotiate to get back in the Commission good graces. This station has been off the air a lot in recent years.

Is this station even on the air now?
It's not on the air at this moment. But, who knows with this decree that they will bring back the temporary mix of '80s music (not considered all "hits") that they had been keeping their license afloat with.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom