• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

97.9 WUCS now FOX Sports 97.9

CT....
Thanks for the correction!!
Many years ago I would catch them when (then) WNEC-FM (91.7) was off the air.....
Early 70s, as I recall.......;)

What a waste. Go Spanish or R&B.
The station makes money on its PM drive show, UConn basketball and Yankees baseball. It fills an important format hole in the Hartford market, especially since WTIC(AM) has no FM presence. 'TIC still has the Red Sox and NFL football, but unless it puts those games on one of its sister FMs (all music formatted), it may lose those, too, as listeners in the market demos abandon AM. Despite its signal limitations, WUCS isn't going to go "Spanish" or R&B. There's no money in those formats in Hartford.

Oh good. It makes money 4 out of 24 hours in a day. lol No money in a Spanish language or R&B format in Hartford? LOL. Look at the demographics of the city.

The station makes money on its PM drive show, UConn basketball and Yankees baseball. It fills an important format hole in the Hartford market, especially since WTIC(AM) has no FM presence. 'TIC still has the Red Sox and NFL football, but unless it puts those games on one of its sister FMs (all music formatted), it may lose those, too, as listeners in the market demos abandon AM. Despite its signal limitations, WUCS isn't going to go "Spanish" or R&B. There's no money in those formats in Hartford.

WTIC 1080 is on HD2 of 96.5 TIC-FM but yes I know not everyone has HD Radio. Is Auducy able to get another FM in the market? As all there music formats do well

WTIC 1080 is on HD2 of 96.5 TIC-FM but yes I know not everyone has HD Radio. Is Auducy able to get another FM in the market? As all there music formats do well
With three FMs and an AM, I think so. But are any of the other operators with FM signals looking to sell? Red Wolf/Full Power/Whatever Rado (I give up.) has WDRC-FM, WMRQ and the "Bomba" collection of translators. Could Audacy pry any of those properties from them to move WTIC from the dying AM band and maybe buy a few more years for the news/talk format before most of its listeners are too old or too dead to interest advertisers? Your guess is as good as mine. Seems to me the clock is ticking loudly for AM, news, and any kind of talk but sports.

It's pretty basic. The station is owned by iHeart, and iHeart markets Fox Sports Radio. Ipso Facto.

One difference between ESPN and Fox is that Fox has no play by play sports that I'm aware of. ESPN has the college bowl games, the NBA, and major league baseball. So if you carry Fox Sports, it's for their talk shows. Especially in fringe time and weekends.

I've read comments that this move has left ESPN without an affiliate in it's home state. That's what happens when you get out of radio and try to maintain a brand by using an outside syndication company. iHeart, on the other hand, can clear shows on the stations it owns.

Last edited:
I just noticed the flip yesterday when I was tuning in the UConn game. Shows how much I listen to terrestrial radio now. Side note the stream of the game sounds better on SXM then it does on UCS.

WPOP is a ralk station and has been for a number of years.

6AM-10AM The Vinnie Penn Project from WELI 96.9/960

10AM-Noon The Finacial Exchange (infomercial?)

Noon-3PM Bloomberg Radio

3PM-7PM Howie Carr

7 PM-9PM Mark Levin

9PM-Midnight Jesse Kelly

Overnights: JT The Brick

Weekends: A bunch of stuff from Premiere Radio Network plus Glenn Beck and Fox Sports Radio (simulcast with WUCS?)

It's pretty basic. The station is owned by iHeart, and iHeart markets Fox Sports Radio. Ipso Facto.

One difference between ESPN and Fox is that Fox has no play by play sports that I'm aware of. ESPN has the college bowl games, the NBA, and major league baseball. So if you carry Fox Sports, it's for their talk shows. Especially in fringe time and weekends.

I've read comments that this move has left ESPN without an affiliate in it's home state. That's what happens when you get out of radio and try to maintain a brand by using an outside syndication company. iHeart, on the other hand, can clear shows on the stations it owns.
I only discovered this week that ESPN's former "flagship station" in Connecticut changed affiliations. (Judging by the NF8M plots, 1050 WEPN may be audible in Bristol at night.)
Gone are the days when stations like WJR would include the ABC circle with their logo. I'd suspected that with Entercom's purchase of CBS Radio in 2017, the Big 3 TV networks had all gotten out of the radio station business altogether. But I forgot that ESPN sold its radio stations two years ago.
Fox, on the other hand, remains more proactively integrated with radio judging by Fox Sports Radio's formal licensing deal with iHeart (because iHeart hosts the FSR website and national stream) and many of the iHeart news-talk stations being part of the Fox News Radio network.

Fox, on the other hand, remains more proactively integrated with radio judging by Fox Sports Radio's formal licensing deal with iHeart

NBC News also has a deal with iHeart. Audacy is partners with CBS for the CBS Sports Radio Network. Last I checked it was syndicated by Westwood One. I believe ESPN Radio is now syndicated by Compass Media. ABC News Radio is syndicated by SkyView. I believe they also syndicate CBS News Radio.

Back
Top Bottom