• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

96.5 WTDY-FM Rebrands As The New 96.5

96.5 WTDY-FM rebrands as The New 96.5 Feel Good Variety.

Interesting that WTDY is following Audacy's former Top 40 stations WBBM-FM Chicago and WPOW Miami to Hot AC. But unlike those two, WTDY is not as rhythmic.

I guess most markets will no longer have two Top 40 stations. NYC and LA don't. (CBS tried to compete with iHeart with Amp Radio but that didn't work either.) San Francisco does have two healthy Top 40 stations but that's an exception.

We've discussed that Top 40 and Hot AC are chasing almost the same audience these days. How many teens and 20-somethings are listening much to the radio at this point? Top 40s are still playing all the current and recent hits and a few titles from the 2010s and 2020s, while their morning shows are aimed at working women. Hot ACs are playing some current product with a lot of hits from the last 25 years, also aimed at working women.

What ever happened to Wired 96.5? That was popular when I lived in Philly.
When (then) CBS radio and Beasley did a multi-market swap, Wired 96.5 fell into CBS's hands, and they re-launched as Amp Radio to match branding they had at other CHRs in LA, NYC etc. It didn't last exceptionally long, and has since flipped to AC (Today's 96.5), CHR (96.5 TDY) and Hot AC (The New 96.5)

I think it is less rhythmic leaning than most of the flips on CHR stations in the past few years. Most of the flips are either to Rhythmic-leaning/90's and 2K-leaning Hot AC or Rhythmic Hot AC.

You think Audacy sells some of their Philly stations to EMF
I will say this... never say never. Everything has it's price.

That being said, I highly doubt Audacy will sell any Philly stations (except maybe WPHT down the line). They make money, and with their "World headquarters high above the Schuylkill River"... they don't want to lessen their presence in their home city.

Back
Top Bottom