• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

950 XEGM English Format History

Hey Guys:

As I was doing some research from some blogs, I saw some info that XEGM 950 was Country in the late 50's and mid 60's. Is that true?

I also saw that 950 was an R&B station in the early 60's called "ROCK 95 The Soul Station".
Is that true too?

I see it finally went all Spanish in 1968.

Thanks

T.J.

Sometime like the late '80's or early '90's it changed call to XEKAM, went by XEK, it did English language talk shows, that didn't seem to last too long, a year or two at most, but they were actually pretty interesting talk shows as I recall.

True it was country in the 1950's. Smokey Rogers was one of the jocks. Later R&B with Chuck Johnson and John Bemis. The early 1990's talk format was done out of North Hollywood studios. Ex KABC pd Jim Simon ran it. I recall Bill Press was on it along with Connie Norman at night. Network shows included Alan Colmes and Stan Major. The thing was run using unlicensed microwave STL's and the North Hollywood operation was shut down. For the following 6 months 950 ran a straight network shot direct to the Rosarito transmitter site with Alan Colmes 24/7 and no legal ID's.

Lopaka said:
Sometime like the late '80's or early '90's it changed call to XEKAM, went by XEK, it did English language talk shows, that didn't seem to last too long, a year or two at most, but they were actually pretty interesting talk shows as I recall.

If I recall. They called themselves "Consumer Business Radio."

I briefly worked with Chuck Johnson during it's "Rock 95" incarnation in the late 1960's. Visited offices and studios somewhere in Logan Heights in what I recall was an former Speedee Mart or similar store on Federal Blvd (?) with the windows blacked out and also visited the facility in Tiajuana where the daily tapes were delivered for broadcast. The station was, as I recall English from 6 PM to around 2 AM and was located in a store front/alley off of Avenida Revolucion.

Johnson was a charismatic character and took me and my partner clubbing a number of times as we tried to develop some sort of promotion for Rock 95 - with - of course -no money. The music was good, and folks friendly, even to this white boy who was very young at the time.

All in all, a fine adventure for a fellow just out of college.

Rickity
www.gulchradio.com

XEGM was one of 3 stations Chuck had programs on. KFOX, 100.3 in L.A. , and XEWV 940, Mexicali. His Speedee Mart studio had egg cartons stapled on the
walls- for echo reduction.
Let's not forget Tom Irwin- a Rock 95 intern... it had been country for a while before.
The modulation level was really low- about 60%, not sure why.
After XEGM went SP in '68, Chuck got involved in the "Icee" frozen drink business in San Diego. Apparently doing illegal things, he was tried in court, and if
memory is correct, he went to jail for a while.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom