• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

93 / KYA jingles

It just seems like there are a lot of jingle compilations for KHJ and other stations, but not KYA-FM. Below is the link to the KHJ video I listed to. I'm just wondering why no one has done this for KYA-FM. Mike

It just seems like there are a lot of jingle compilations for KHJ and other stations, but not KYA-FM. Below is the link to the KHJ video I listed to. I'm just wondering why no one has done this for KYA-FM. Mike
To put it bluntly, KHJ was an iconic station that captured the zeitgeist of the moment in Los Angeles when it debuted, and in the subsequent eight-or-so years. Many of the personalities were similarly iconic, and KHJ was greater than the sum of its parts.

KYA-FM was just another oldies station, and it was nearly three decades later. It was serviceable, but nothing really special. That's why there are multiple compilations for KHJ and very little for KYA-FM, because few collectors really care.

Wasn't KYA-FM simulcasting the AM station at one point, possibly as late as the 80s?

c
It was a pure simulcast from 1959 to 1966. The FM became KOIT at that point and did its own attempt at contemporary music with automation. In 1968, there was an album rock thing called "Mother KOIT" and in 1971, for a few months, they tried Country.

In 1975, they switched the calls to KYA-FM but didn't simulcast until late 1979, when they tried a format called "Easy Rock 93." Didn't last---the FM became K-Lite, changing the calls to KLHT. The KYA-FM calls came back in 1982, and both stations were oldies. There may have been a simulcast at that point.

In 1983, the stations were sold and KYA-FM and KSFO ended up under the same ownership and with a successful oldies simulcast.

It was a pure simulcast from 1959 to 1966. The FM became KOIT at that point and did its own attempt at contemporary music with automation. In 1968, there was an album rock thing called "Mother KOIT" and in 1971, for a few months, they tried Country.

In 1975, they switched the calls to KYA-FM but didn't simulcast until late 1979, when they tried a format called "Easy Rock 93." Didn't last---the FM became K-Lite, changing the calls to KLHT. The KYA-FM calls came back in 1982, and both stations were oldies. There may have been a simulcast at that point.

In 1983, the stations were sold and KYA-FM and KSFO ended up under the same ownership and with a successful oldies simulcast.
...and joint branding that was a mouthful every time anyone cracked a mic: "KSFO-KYA-FM". Eventually KSFO was sold to ABC, and KYA-FM became Young Country KYCY. (Not necessarily in that order, btw.)

...and joint branding that was a mouthful every time anyone cracked a mic: "KSFO-KYA-FM". Eventually KSFO was sold to ABC, and KYA-FM became Young Country KYCY. (Not necessarily in that order, btw.)
Well, if you think about it, it's no more a mouthful than a four-letter set of calls and a three-syllable frequency---"KXXX-Ninety-Three-FM." What it couldn't accommodate was a frequency mention. But they did fine as long as they had Bob Hamilton programming.

KYA-FM was just another oldies station
KYA-FM and sometimes KSFO/KYA introduced me to Gene Nelson, Ginny Prior, and Dave Henderson. The three most wonderful people I've probably ever listened to. So many decades later and I still think of the three of them. They brought a warm friendly mature sound to morning radio.

Later came John Mack Flannagan, Dean Goss, Don Sainte John, Celeste Perry, Roger Shannon, and countless other great Disc Jockeys. KYA and/or KSFOKYA was more than just "another" oldies station.

KYA-FM and sometimes KSFO/KYA introduced me to Gene Nelson, Ginny Prior, and Dave Henderson. The three most wonderful people I've probably ever listened to. So many decades later and I still think of the three of them. They brought a warm friendly mature sound to morning radio.

Later came John Mack Flannagan, Dean Goss, Don Sainte John, Celeste Perry, Roger Shannon, and countless other great Disc Jockeys. KYA and/or KSFOKYA was more than just "another" oldies station.
Fair. But Weiserguy's point stands in that the KHJs and KRTHs of the world were breakthroughs in their formats---and a lot of tape got rolled on them for a lot of reasons.

KSFO/KYA-FM was a successful oldies station. Bob Hamilton, who programmed it, came straight up from programming KRTH for nine years. There was no re-invention of the wheel, no big advancement of the Oldies format. Keeping Gene Nelson in mornings was a no-brainer (he'd been at KSFO since the late 60s and before that was at the original KYA).

There's probably not a lot less tape of KSFO/KYA-FM than there is of KFRC AM/FM in its 1993-2005 oldies phase (for the AM---I believe KFRC-FM ran 1991 to 2007.

How long has that damn sounder been around towards the beginning of the video? I've been hearing that thing for decades now to this day, usually as a news intro. I swear Marconi must have come up with it!

How long has that damn sounder been around towards the beginning of the video? I've been hearing that thing for decades now to this day, usually as a news intro. I swear Marconi must have come up with it!
Interesting that you say that because it only was used on the Drake stations for two years---Introduced in June of 1969, vanishing in '71. That made it the shortest-lived of the Drake news intros.

But in the 90s, oldies stations wanted the Drake Series II package re-sung, and the news intro came with it, so it wound up back on the air---I haven't heard it on the air in a decade or more, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone is still using it.

Interesting that you say that because it only was used on the Drake stations for two years---Introduced in June of 1969, vanishing in '71. That made it the shortest-lived of the Drake news intros.

But in the 90s, oldies stations wanted the Drake Series II package re-sung, and the news intro came with it, so it wound up back on the air---I haven't heard it on the air in a decade or more, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone is still using it.
I've hear it in NE Ohio, still being used. Can't remember what station was using it but was surprised to hear it cause I hadn't heard it in a while. Also have heard it on a few online stations. I believe it was WGAR AM and WMJI that used to use it. And while playing radio tag when traveling around a few states, I've heard it used.

Nelson, Prior and Henderson were a fun listen. I was in my early teens around 1987, and my radio might as well have had just three stations, as I bounced around from KSFO to 'Magic 61(when Carter B. Smith had just arrived) to KNBR with Frank and Mike(and more current music).
I'm not sure when Dave Henderson started, but I knew he'd been around at the 'old' KSFO. Prior seemed like the 'kid' there, but she was a pro, and more than held her own with Nelson's(and Henderson's) jokes.
Prior and Henderson might have carried a news show on their own, like Ed Baxter and Rosie Allen at KGO.

There's probably not a lot less tape of KSFO/KYA-FM than there is of KFRC AM/FM in its 1993-2005 oldies phase (for the AM---I believe KFRC-FM ran 1991 to 2007.
Sounds about right. Someone please correct me if I miss anything, but my understanding is KFRC-FM was at 99.7 for years (1991-2005), then about the time KFRC-AM 610 became KEAR, the FM moved to 106.9 as part of a frequency swap (KEAR had been at 106.9 prior to the swap). From 2005-2007, KFRC carried a format called Free FM, then it returned to oldies briefly in 2007 before essentially becoming, for all intents and purposes, the FM translator to KCBS-AM in 2008.

c

Sounds about right. Someone please correct me if I miss anything, but my understanding is KFRC-FM was at 99.7 for years (1991-2005), then about the time KFRC-AM 610 became KEAR, the FM moved to 106.9 as part of a frequency swap (KEAR had been at 106.9 prior to the swap). From 2005-2007, KFRC carried a format called Free FM, then it returned to oldies briefly in 2007 before essentially becoming, for all intents and purposes, the FM translator to KCBS-AM in 2008.

c
Very close. Here's the timeline:

KFRC-FM did oldies at 99.7 beginning in March of 1991. 610 AM dumped its Magic 61 standards format in August of 1993 and started simulcasting 99.7 most of the time (there were exceptions).

610 was sold in 2005, with its last broadcast on April 28, 2005. It became Family Life Radio at midnight. The KFRC calls stayed on 610 until the end of the Oakland A's season (October 17, 2005). Then the calls on 610 became KEAR.

The only KFRC at that point was 99.7.

106.9, which had been KEAR, became KIFR and started stunting, launching the Free FM format on October 25.

Meantime, 99.7 was still KFRC-FM and was still oldies.

On September 22, 2006, KFRC-FM flipped formats, becoming Movin 99.7, but kept the KFRC-FM call letters.

It wasn't until May 17, 2007 that CBS moved the Free FM programming to---um---AM (1550), the KFRC calls to 106.9 and re-launched the station as Classic Hits, using jingles from KFRC's 1970s glory days and largely positioning the music in that same era.

On October 27, 2008, it moved that format (jockless) to 106.9 HD2 and started simulcasting KCBS-AM.

Last edited:
Ah, OK. I mainly listened to the AM, so didn't know much about the FM except when traveling (I was in Lake County (next to Mendocino) then, and FM signals from SF didn't come through so well).

c

Back
Top Bottom