• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Also David E. 93.9 has a history of low ratings, when it was KZLA it barely got a 1 share overall. And with movin it didn't help much. For some unknown reason that signal hasn't been a great success.

101.9 had a history of low ratings. When HBC bought it, it became #1 in its first full book.

The next-to-lowest power FM on Mt Wilson is KIIS.

No frequency is jinxed unless it has a bad signal, and even then there are options. It is just a question of finding the right programming.

Last edited:
Wishful thinking. We got to many FM stations sounding the same. An old KTU with Revolution format would work in LA.

There is only one FM doing reggaeton in a market where in 18-34 over 55% of the population is Hispanic and a large percentage are either Spanish dominant or bilingual. Reggaeton songs are even crossing over, and a good example is "Despacito" with well over 6 billion YouTube views and the record as the most viewed video in history. Name one dance tune with even a tenth of that appeal.

Dance does not work anywhere in the US, but where it has worked "a little" in the past were markets with a high percentage of Caribbean Basin origin or heritage Hispanics. That is not the case in LA.

We still host 4 insomniac events in the IE. I’m sure there is an audience for EDM in So Cal. :)

Doing events with a few thousand people is not the same as getting a radio station to cume over 1,000,000 persons which is about the minimum to call a station a big success.

I remember Groove did make it in the ratings in the late 90s.

It showed in the ratings, but very poorly. Part was the signal, but most was the format. And the 90's had much more "commercial" EDM material, from freestyle to trance (Castles in the Sky and the like). The situation is not as good now, particularly since Hispanics now have their own rhythmic music in the form of reggaeton and trap.

Can’t wait to see the reaction from KXOL.

If they are smart, they won't react at all. Reaction causes listener unease and that makes them look for other stations or streaming choices.

I also suspect that KIIS, KAMP, and KRRL will take a hit since they’re going after some of their listeners, especially those are bilingual.

Any hit from a reggaeton format station was already felt by the stations you name here when KXOL finally found their current format.

Revolution does not do anything in Miami. And if EDM would work, that is the one place in the US that it might.

The format is the perfect match for KPWR and KDAY, and the 25,000 song in a row with no commercials will attract lots of attention.

Revolution also has signal issues so it's not as competitive as it should be.

That's up to Meruelo. They have to enable the software that reads the music info and sends it out to the RDS Display. It tends to zero out when you change formats and music libraries.

Revolution also has signal issues so it's not as competitive as it should be.

That is an understatement. Two very poor and directional translators and a main station on Islamorada which barely gets a decent signal to Homestead and Florida City. It's still a format that is past its expiration date.

That is an understatement. Two very poor and directional translators and a main station on Islamorada which barely gets a decent signal to Homestead and Florida City. It's still a format that is past its expiration date.

Personally, I love EDM. I wish more stations would embrace it.

Personally, I love EDM. I wish more stations would embrace it.

I've been trying to understand why the disconnect between EDM live and EDM on the radio. While the events seem to attract big crowds, any attempt to translate that to over-the-air listening falls flat. I have no proof, but I believe it's a camaraderie thing. You need to listen with friends. The format has been tried in many markets, and Energy 92.7 had a good run in San Francisco. But that's the only one I'm aware of that existed for more than a year or two. There was a time when you could walk down Castro street and hear Energy blaring from multiple shops. But that only lasted for maybe a year, and it was early on during the format.

Dave B.

I've been trying to understand why the disconnect between EDM live and EDM on the radio.

It's not really a 24/7 format. It's also why you don't hear live concerts on the radio any more. A big part of concerts is the experience. That experience don't convey to the radio.

I've been trying to understand why the disconnect between EDM live and EDM on the radio. While the events seem to attract big crowds, any attempt to translate that to over-the-air listening falls flat. I have no proof, but I believe it's a camaraderie thing. You need to listen with friends. The format has been tried in many markets, and Energy 92.7 had a good run in San Francisco. But that's the only one I'm aware of that existed for more than a year or two. There was a time when you could walk down Castro street and hear Energy blaring from multiple shops. But that only lasted for maybe a year, and it was early on during the format.

Dave B.

Remember, a concert or event with 5,000 people can conceivably be the total extent of the following for a genre. You need in LA well over a million different listeners a week for a successful music station. There are plenty of examples, such as a huge Colombian artist, Carlos Vives, who can fill the Forum... but no station plays his music because the only constant and consistent fans are in the small Colombian community in LA and that's not enough for a mass appeal station to thrive on. So, with EDM, there may be a small-ish group of core listeners but not enough to support a full radio format.

Remember, a concert or event with 5,000 people can conceivably be the total extent of the following for a genre. You need in LA well over a million different listeners a week for a successful music station. There are plenty of examples, such as a huge Colombian artist, Carlos Vives, who can fill the Forum... but no station plays his music because the only constant and consistent fans are in the small Colombian community in LA and that's not enough for a mass appeal station to thrive on. So, with EDM, there may be a small-ish group of core listeners but not enough to support a full radio format.

I say regardless, bring back KDL and give it a go. What is there to lose (besides the investors' money)? Who is with me on this?

I say regardless, bring back KDL and give it a go. What is there to lose (besides the investors' money)? Who is with me on this?

The station was not successful to begin with, and its initial slight audience quickly faded. Plus, it was not a good combination with the owner's corporate focus.

The current 80's format is given to low ratings, but it makes a very nice complement to the rest of the LA cluster owned by Entravision and can be sold together. An English language format with low ratings in today's environment can not generate revenue for the owner.

It's not really a 24/7 format. It's also why you don't hear live concerts on the radio any more. A big part of concerts is the experience. That experience don't convey to the radio.

I dunno about that. The small public station where I'm employed (KVMR) just got off of two weeks of live festival broadcasts (High Sierra and California Worldfest) and we received a lot of positive response from both. No ratings in this small market, but our online listening more than tripled from normal and we got a big spike in donations too. I fully admit that our audience is very unique tho. And we like it that way.

Dave B.

I'm predicting about a 2.8, give or take.

Mega down to a 2.2.

I think in the early going there may be 5 shares of listening available for the 96.3 & 93.9 formats, but not long term. KXOL by itself only pulls about a 3.

My guess is there will probably be more like 4 to 4.5 shares split between the two stations on a long-term basis.

Throwback hip-hop and R&B would've been capable of pulling stronger ratings than what Cali 93.9 is likely to generate. But let's face it - the reason Meruelo likely didn't go in that direction is because such a format on a powerful signal likely would've cannibalized sister station Power 106 to a degree.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom