• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

92.5 has flipped to Spanish!

LouPickney

Inactive
Inactive User
92.5 finished the Indianapolis Brickyard 400, played some commercials... and then introduced La Nueva 92.5. I have tape rolling (I thought it might happen after the NASCAR race) and I captured the flip.<P ID="signature">______________
Lou Pickney
Tampa, FL
RadioHotTalk.com & VarietyHits.com</P>

I was too busy watching the end of the Brickyard that I totally forgot to roll tape! Lou, would you mind sending me a copy for the Tampa Bay Radio History website?

Thanks.

Chris

PS - At least Tony Stewart won. My wife's still crying over Elliot Sadler's finish.

> 92.5 finished the Indianapolis Brickyard 400, played some
> commercials... and then introduced La Nueva 92.5. I have
> tape rolling (I thought it might happen after the NASCAR
> race) and I captured the flip.
>
<P ID="signature">______________
Chris Heinrich
Owner/Webmaster
TampaBayRadioHistory.com</P>

> I was too busy watching the end of the Brickyard that I
> totally forgot to roll tape! Lou, would you mind sending me
> a copy for the Tampa Bay Radio History website?

I can make that happen. By the way, check out OutlawCountry925.com now:

-----
La Nueva 92.5

El Senido Latino de Tampa Bay

Para informacion sobre publicidad, por favor llame a Mr. John Fennessy, 813-637-7852.
-----

I don't know Spanish, but I did a quick internet translation and (if they mean senido as sound, which I found spelled as sonido elsewhere), it looks like the positioning statement is "The Latin sound of Tampa Bay".

The web design looks like something from 1995.<P ID="signature">______________
Lou Pickney
Tampa, FL
RadioHotTalk.com & VarietyHits.com</P>

Re: 92.5 has flipped to Spanish! > No imaging?

> I was too busy watching the end of the Brickyard that I
> totally forgot to roll tape! Lou, would you mind sending me
> a copy for the Tampa Bay Radio History website?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chris
>
> PS - At least Tony Stewart won. My wife's still crying over
> Elliot Sadler's finish.
>
> > 92.5 finished the Indianapolis Brickyard 400, played some
> > commercials... and then introduced La Nueva 92.5. I have
> > tape rolling (I thought it might happen after the NASCAR
> > race) and I captured the flip.
> >
>

Please let everyone know when the tape is available online, I missed the flip by about ten minutes I guess. As of right now, there's no imaging.. just about 6 seconds of dead air in between songs.

Tropical format

Kudos to David Eduardo, he was right. It looks like they've gone with a Tropical format, cool.

Re: 92.5 has flipped to Spanish! > No imaging?

> Please let everyone know when the tape is available online,
> I missed the flip by about ten minutes I guess. As of right
> now, there's no imaging.. just about 6 seconds of dead air
> in between songs.

They had some imaging in the first few minutes... Then at 7 PM, they went to silence for about 10 seconds.. before repeating the sign-on message played at the flip and then going to more music. Perhaps they are on some sort of satellite-fed music network for the moment? I don't know; this is certainly not my area of expertise (this is what I get for taking French in high school/college and not Spanish, I suppose).

(Check that... as soon as I posted that, they played a sweeper. I guess they're working out the kinks in the new system).

<P ID="signature">______________
Lou Pickney
Tampa, FL
RadioHotTalk.com & VarietyHits.com</P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by LouPickney on 08/07/05 11:22 PM.</FONT></P>

Re: Tropical format>> I wasn't expecting..

> Kudos to David Eduardo, he was right. It looks like they've
> gone with a Tropical format, cool.
>
I guess I've been listening to CC's KLOL stream too long - a mixture of English and Spanish... I was sort of expecting the same from this station, but different company, different views.

Outlaw R.I.P.

I'm sure "La Nueva 92.5" will do well, but it's too bad that we have to lose the most original and creative country station that the Bay area has had since Sarasota's WCTQ during the Rob Carpenter era.

Re: Outlaw R.I.P.

> I'm sure "La Nueva 92.5" will do well, but it's too bad that
> we have to lose the most original and creative country
> station that the Bay area has had since Sarasota's WCTQ
> during the Rob Carpenter era.
>
Outlaw was a great station, and it's sad to see them go. It's a shame that we have to lose a station that was different/original. I hope Cowhead and Brent return to another station in the near future. In the meantime, I have no reason to listen to any commercial FM station.

-Disgruntled Radio Listener in Sarasota

-Check out Opie and Anthony on XM Satellite Radio, Channel 202-

Re: Tropical format

BTW, take "David Eduardo" with a grain of salt; he was denying that Radio Marti was (is) broadcasting via an airborne Pennsylvania Air National Guard EC-130J to Cuba every Saturday over the Florida Straits, until a huge flood of reception reports from listeners in SW Florida (first heard by myself once it began regular weekly broadcasts) forced him to retract. The "DX" category under "Specialty" on radio-info.com documented all this quite well a couple of months ago.

> Kudos to David Eduardo, he was right. It looks like they've
> gone with a Tropical format, cool.
>

> BTW, take "David Eduardo" with a grain of salt; he was
> denying that Radio Marti was (is) broadcasting via an
> airborne Pennsylvania Air National Guard EC-130J to Cuba
> every Saturday over the Florida Straits, until a huge flood
> of reception reports from listeners in SW Florida (first
> heard by myself once it began regular weekly broadcasts)
> forced him to retract. The "DX" category under "Specialty"
> on radio-info.com documented all this quite well a couple of
> months ago.

I doubted that such was true because a) friends at Marti said it was experimental and never worked in practice and, b) has no way of being heard in Cuba. Despite logic, the government is doing it, on occasion, when they can get the near 1000 foot long antenna to stream without twisting (which is rare).

In case you did not notice, I worked for Marti under a Cngressional mandate. I simply thought they were smarter than they obviously are today. It shows you that money, in the hands of government, will hava a high probability of being misspent.

In any case, I posted my regrets for my disbelief, and submitted full engineering details from a couple of the worlds formost antenna experts on how the airborn system "works" on low band AM. Like most humans, I make mistakes. And I fessed up to this one, too.

> > Kudos to David Eduardo, he was right. It looks like
> they've
> > gone with a Tropical format, cool.
> >
> I guess I've been listening to CC's KLOL stream too long - a
> mixture of English and Spanish... I was sort of expecting
> the same from this station, but different company, different
> views.
>

The KLOL format is a bit more niche, cutting off in the early 30-s in appeal. The 92.5 format is broader based, and probably suits the situation better when this is the only station in the market... Houston has about a dozen or so Spanish stations, including half that number on FM. Hurban was a good alternative, as it was not being done, and the market is very fragmented. In the Tampa Bay market, there is no FM Spanish language fragmentation.

Clear Channel did a format just like La Nueva 92.5 in Orlando (WRUM) rather than doing Hurban, probably because of the same reasoning, even when there was a similar rimshot FM already getting numbers in the market.

Of course, this format only applies on the Eastern seaboard... where salsa and merengue have considerable popularity. This is why Infinity did a different version of the format in DC, where they did pop, merengue and reggaeton on El Zol, since that market is mostly Cnetral and South American, not Caribbean in origin.

Re: Outlaw R.I.P.

> -Disgruntled Radio Listener in Sarasota
>
> -Check out Opie and Anthony on XM Satellite Radio, Channel
> 202-
>

Look, I'm sure theyre good guys, but the show came off as "Bubba-lite"..bikini waxings, trailer jokes,blah, blah,blah....and it just didnt last.

Happens to most everyone in the biz..........

Just so you know, Commando Solo on 530 khz broadcasting Marti was heard here in Sarasota. It was mixing pretty heavily with RVC out of the Turks and Caicos Islands. I dont know why they picked 530 because RVC is so powerfull all thru the Carribean, but I'm sure it was easily heard in Cuba if it was heard here.

> > BTW, take "David Eduardo" with a grain of salt; he was
> > denying that Radio Marti was (is) broadcasting via an
> > airborne Pennsylvania Air National Guard EC-130J to Cuba
> > every Saturday over the Florida Straits, until a huge
> flood
> > of reception reports from listeners in SW Florida (first
> > heard by myself once it began regular weekly broadcasts)
> > forced him to retract. The "DX" category under
> "Specialty"
> > on radio-info.com documented all this quite well a couple
> of
> > months ago.
>
> I doubted that such was true because a) friends at Marti
> said it was experimental and never worked in practice and,
> b) has no way of being heard in Cuba. Despite logic, the
> government is doing it, on occasion, when they can get the
> near 1000 foot long antenna to stream without twisting
> (which is rare).
>
> In case you did not notice, I worked for Marti under a
> Cngressional mandate. I simply thought they were smarter
> than they obviously are today. It shows you that money, in
> the hands of government, will hava a high probability of
> being misspent.
>
> In any case, I posted my regrets for my disbelief, and
> submitted full engineering details from a couple of the
> worlds formost antenna experts on how the airborn system
> "works" on low band AM. Like most humans, I make mistakes.
> And I fessed up to this one, too.
>

> Just so you know, Commando Solo on 530 khz broadcasting
> Marti was heard here in Sarasota. It was mixing pretty
> heavily with RVC out of the Turks and Caicos Islands. I
> dont know why they picked 530 because RVC is so powerfull
> all thru the Carribean, but I'm sure it was easily heard in
> Cuba if it was heard here.

Within a week of the first test on 530, Cuba had a Rebelde relay on 530 whih obliterates the airborn signal of Martí. One of the problems is that the radiator for 530 has to be relatively long, and will not unfold right in gusty or windy or stormy conditions... which of course never exist over the water between Cuba and the Keys.

Of course, this would not be the first political pork barrel in history. They could have, if they wanted, spent less money and raised the 1180 signal to 250 kw, which, in a single 70 degree wide beam, would put 1.2 megawatts over Cuba.

But that makes too much sense, and it could have operated every day, not on Saturdays and when the weather is good.

Sweet more Spanish in America. I really wasn't getting enough of it at the ATM machines.

Awesome.

> Sweet more Spanish in America. I really wasn't getting
> enough of it at the ATM machines.
>
> Awesome.

You may be tired of Spanish at the ATM's, but I doubt Spanish speaking people are . Corporate America is learning that respecting diversity is good business.
A healthy respect for diversity got me my job. Wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same. I know Infinity made the flip for money not principles, but the lean green is mean and money walks and talks the minorities of our world into positions of respect. Besides, I'm Jewish, but I like Spanish music.
>

> You may be tired of Spanish at the ATM's, but I doubt
> Spanish speaking people are . Corporate America is learning
> that respecting diversity is good business.
> A healthy respect for diversity got me my job. Wouldn't life
> be boring if we were all the same. I know Infinity made the
> flip for money not principles, but the lean green is mean
> and money walks and talks the minorities of our world into
> positions of respect. Besides, I'm Jewish, but I like
> Spanish music.

I like your opinion, and I am glad that you ejoy music in Spanish.

OK, peace bro. My point being never underestimate what is actually being heard by people with NRC-535's, R-390A's, HQ-1870A's etc. close to the source, vs. government mouthpieces.

;>)

> I doubted that such was true because a) friends at Marti
> said it was experimental and never worked in practice and,
> b) has no way of being heard in Cuba. Despite logic, the
> government is doing it, on occasion, when they can get the
> near 1000 foot long antenna to stream without twisting
> (which is rare).
>
> In case you did not notice, I worked for Marti under a
> Cngressional mandate. I simply thought they were smarter
> than they obviously are today. It shows you that money, in
> the hands of government, will hava a high probability of
> being misspent.
>
> In any case, I posted my regrets for my disbelief, and
> submitted full engineering details from a couple of the
> worlds formost antenna experts on how the airborn system
> "works" on low band AM. Like most humans, I make mistakes.
> And I fessed up to this one, too.
>

Re: Marti and DX.

> OK, peace bro. My point being never underestimate what is
> actually being heard by people with NRC-535's, R-390A's,
> HQ-1870A's etc. close to the source, vs. government
> mouthpieces.

Time to call a halt. I am in the private sector, and am not an applogist for Marti. In fact, the 530 Commando Solo operation is as big a pork barrel as I have ever seen, since it does not work.

The JRC NRD 535 is a horrible radio, there is no such thing as an HQ-1870A (There was an HQ-180, the A being the model with the clock built in... of which I had 2 in the 60's) and the R-390 was a milspec government receiver... of which I had both a Collins made one and a TEC (Hammurlund subsidiary) one. Current receivers are Icom R-75, TenTec 350 and Drake R8, phased antenna array, various loops and a roll of wire for a desert beveradge.

I monitored with the R 75 in Miami (I often carry it with me to MIA on frequent trips to work with the stations there... even taken it to Argentina a couple of times and on some South coast PR DXpeditions. 530 is, unfortunately, a boondoggle and generally not operating on the one day a week it is supposed to... dumb idea in hurricane country. Did get excellent copy on T&C on 530, though. And the Radio Progresso outlet is strong with RVC nulled.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom