• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The 92.3 translator for K-Love is an utter waste of power...Sounds dreadful...Was just in Savannah recently every other station was playing oldies, 70s, 80s, etc, it was awesome to hear, then we have Atlanta, which is probably the worst selection of station's in the country..

I agree with you 100%. I think what we have here is a group of owners who have lost their way.

Was just in Savannah recently every other station was playing oldies, 70s, 80s, etc, it was awesome to hear, then we have Atlanta, which is probably the worst selection of station's in the country..

Hmmm, not sure what you were listening to. The station list in Savannah looks similar to Atlanta, with three urban stations in the Top 10. I didn't see any oldies. There is one classic hits station (Rewind) and one classic rock (WIXV) out of 25 stations.

Theyd been leasing it out and that ended and they probabaly dont have a huge use for it so theyre just sticking something on it till they can figure something else out

Hmmm, not sure what you were listening to. The station list in Savannah looks similar to Atlanta, with three urban stations in the Top 10. I didn't see any oldies. There is one classic hits station (Rewind) and one classic rock (WIXV) out of 25 stations.

Some are in HHI and serve the Savannah Market...Their is definitely more variety than here...

You're right about Hilton Head...to serve all the retired folks there. The median age on HHI is 53, while the median age in Atlanta is 31.

Plenty of older people in Atlanta, and more of us than HHI, that have been forgotten...I am..Plus we have way more disposable income than you Millennials...

Plenty of older people in Atlanta, and more of us than HHI, that have been forgotten...I am..Plus we have way more disposable income than you Millennials...

The numbers I posted were factual. If you really had "more disposable income," you'd be living in HHI.

But, for a variety of reasons, most advertisers do not target the group you are referring to. So, for radio, it is hard to make money serving a senior audience.

The numbers I posted were factual. If you really had "more disposable income," you'd be living in HHI.

I do you ****, I have a home on the beach with an indoor outdoor pool...Get out of your parent's basement..I do not owe you my finances. I have way more than you will ever possibly have..

Last edited by a moderator:
I do you ****, I have a home on the beach with an indoor outdoor pool...Get out of your parent's basement..I do not owe you my finances. I have way more than you will ever possibly have..

You have a vivid imagination regarding me, my age, and my lifestyle. None of it is true.

If you have disposable income, you can afford to pay for radio rather than listen for free. Spend a few bucks and listen to Sirius. It's easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have disposable income, you can afford to pay for radio rather than listen for free. Spend a few bucks and listen to Sirius. It's easy.

If what he says is the case (my experience is that people who brag about being wealthy generally aren't), subscribing to Sirius/XM would also answer his complaint about lack of offerings for seniors and geezers :rolleyes:

I figure that EMF will flip 92.3 to Air 1 their modern worship sister station now that the HD on 106.7 is running.

I figure that EMF will flip 92.3 to Air 1 their modern worship sister station now that the HD on 106.7 is running.

I agree. Lately, EMF has been in buy-mode, buying translators from anyone they can find, but especially iHeart.

The one thing they WON'T do with 92.3 is sell it.

you didnt bother to look up who owns it eh? It's owned by the Immanuel Broadcasting NEtwork which owns WCCV 91.7 Cartersville.. they lease out some of their stuff to other folks and thats what was happening to this one and that elase ended so i assume they stuck Klove on it.

Klove could be leasing it now but somehow i doubt it. Theywouldnt let poor quality continue and they wouldnt need the overlap signal

WSB (Talk 750) targets an older audience. The bulk of their clients are home improvement companies. One time I counted 5 HVAC companies running spots on there at one time. Then there are the roofing companies, foundation repair companies, painting company, kitchen remodeling companies and tree cutting companies. They've even done remotes from home improvement expos at the Galleria.

WSB (Talk 750) targets an older audience.

Not sure I'd agree that they target an older audience. No question that a lot of their audience is over 45. But they've tried to keep the demos under control by retiring some of the older hosts and bringing in younger ones. I imagine they hope their move-in of WSBB-FM will also help.

If what he says is the case (my experience is that people who brag about being wealthy generally aren't), subscribing to Sirius/XM would also answer his complaint about lack of offerings for seniors and geezers :rolleyes:
Why is it that whenever someone mentions how devoid this market is of decent local radio, you corporate guys always attack the poster and tell them to subscribe to SXM?
You people are signing your own death warrants. It's as stupid at the CEO of Domino's Pizza admitting in his national ad campaign that his product sucks "no, we've got to do better". Heck, at least he admits his product sucks yet corporate radio seems to exist in a vacuum (speaking of things that really suck) and yet, all you can say is "if you don't like it, go elsewhere and PAY for it".

Pardon me, but that's the epic FAIL with you corporate types. Without listeners, your ancient business model has no value to advertisers. Given this mentality, I give big dog OTA radio another 5-8 years before it's DONE. And you know what? I am okay with that. I have SXM and TuneIn Radio and enjoy streaming music and LOCAL RADIO like WELJ from Long Island that are miles above this corporate cesspool waste of radio spectrum that, with some small exceptions like the HD2s, is Atlanta radio. Combined with FirstNet 5G/LTE, I never have an issue in the car.

Driving your listeners away one by one like this is why you will ensure your very business model will fail. Go ahead, flame on. This isn't about incomes or subscriptions, it's about this pompous holier than thou attitude.

Why is it that whenever someone mentions how devoid this market is of decent local radio, you corporate guys always attack the poster and tell them to subscribe to SXM?

Why is it when people come on this board to criticize radio, it's always to demand formats aimed at baby boomers?

Personally I advocate any system where users pay rather than advertisers. I think it will lead to better radio.

Using your pizza analogy, if you don't like my free pizza, you're welcome to pay Dominos $10. Nothing wrong with that.

It seems unfair to complain about free pizza because it doesn't have pepperoni.

We're not in the personal music delivery system business. If you or anyone else wants a specific type of music that can't be supported locally by advertisers, then it's up to you to find a way to get it yourself. I'd prefer you to pay for it, because I believe that's fair to the musicians. I believe a day will come when streaming distant stations will require some form of subscription, because those stations are unfairly footing the bill so you can hear your music for free.

Last edited:

... because commercial radio can not serve all constituencies profitably. In markets where sales are significantly dependent on sales, stations can't make money serving teens or serving seniors. There is just no money to be had.

You people are signing your own death warrants. It's as stupid at the CEO of Domino's Pizza admitting in his national ad campaign that his product sucks "no, we've got to do better". Heck, at least he admits his product sucks yet corporate radio seems to exist in a vacuum (speaking of things that really suck) and yet, all you can say is "if you don't like it, go elsewhere and PAY for it".

No, what we are saying is that we run a supermarket, but we do not do oil changes or offer haircuts. We'd be pleased to tell you where Jiffy Lube is, or where to find a good barber shop.

Pardon me, but that's the epic FAIL with you corporate types. Without listeners, your ancient business model has no value to advertisers. Given this mentality, I give big dog OTA radio another 5-8 years before it's DONE. And you know what? I am okay with that. I have SXM and TuneIn Radio and enjoy streaming music and LOCAL RADIO like WELJ from Long Island that are miles above this corporate cesspool waste of radio spectrum that, with some small exceptions like the HD2s, is Atlanta radio. Combined with FirstNet 5G/LTE, I never have an issue in the car.

However, unlike your apparent lack of awareness, we know where the money is. So an OTA station in a very transactional (a term meaning that ad buys are based on delivery of a target demographic, often done by a computer with no "human" selection of stations) market like Atlanta a station has to focus on some subset of 18 to 54 year olds to make money... or if they are AM or have a limited AM, they have to depend on paid religion or very niche ethnic or specialty programming to survive.

Driving your listeners away one by one like this is why you will ensure your very business model will fail. Go ahead, flame on. This isn't about incomes or subscriptions, it's about this pompous holier than thou attitude.

Actually, it is about reality. If we go back in time we see other under served groups, such as Spanish speakers. Until advertisers realized the buying power of Hispanics, broadcasters could not make money in most of the USA with a Spanish format because there was no potential revenue. While one could make money in Spanish in McAllen or San Antonio in the late 40's, you couldn't in Fresno or Las Vegas or Chicago or even Houston and Dallas until decades later as advertisers woke up to the value of the market. Then the stations came, all over the nation.

But most major advertisers have research that shows the return on ad investment, and they know that most products don't have a good ROI when ads target seniors. So there is no money to be had; as a courtesy we let you know that you may like Sirius/XM or a similar streaming product.

In another recent post I mentioned being in the wealthiest senior market in the US based on household income: the Coachella Valley / Palm Springs market. Here, many merchants recognize the value of seniors as customers, but they all use TV due to the need for visuals for the creative for many if not most of the campaigns. The two senior-targeted "easy" or "standards" stations are alone and bill next to nothing while, for example, the three leading Spanish language stations together bill over 30 times what the senior stations do.

But following your logic, someone should open a surfboard shop here...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom