• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

92.3 NOW FAIL

M

musicman3355

I'm listening to the station, and while the station is doing a club broadcast from Webster Hall, the broadcast cuts off. After 20 seconds of dead air, regular music came back, but not in the mix. It's not the first time it's happened.

92.3 needs to get new equipment for their live remote broadcasts!

92.3 Needs a new format that's what they need. Half the crap played on there I can find on Z100 (which is 10X better all they need is Lisa Paige) and I can find it on Hot 97, Power 105.1 (both good stations, although I favor Power more), PLJ & Fresh. I need my rock (something way better than crappy RXP or some country! Come on New York City! I go to school near Philly and they got better stations than you guys! We have the better sports teams here though, better accents, etc. Let's get better radio stations while we're at it!

XCountry285 said:
92.3 Needs a new format that's what they need. Half the crap played on there I can find on Z100 (which is 10X better all they need is Lisa Paige)

What are you talking about? Without 92.3, there won't be any station for Lisa Paige! ::)

musicman3355 said:
XCountry285 said:
92.3 Needs a new format that's what they need. Half the crap played on there I can find on Z100 (which is 10X better all they need is Lisa Paige)

What are you talking about? Without 92.3, there won't be any station for Lisa Paige! ::)

XCountry285 has a crush on Lisa Paige

Yes, Bob, I remember the song well... our friend, though, is enamored with one of the Now personalities...

Z-100 Needs a new format that's what they need. Half the crap played on there I can find on 92.3 NOW

I'm 100% sure CC is NOT going to flip Z100. They have higher ratings than NOW, not to mention they're one of the most known CHRs in America... NOW needs to try harder to get that title.

92.3 is losing. Period. No argument. No one's opinion will change how great Z is doing and how sub-par 92.3 is doing since launch. Its all in black and white. Month after month... year after year. I don't see why people keep defending an underperforming top 40 which is nowhere NEAR Z in ratings, revenue, class or anything else for that matter. Dom theodore is doing the SAME "innovative" radio he did in 1998 at FLZ in Tampa. His repositioning efforts are not working. Did they work in 1998 in Tampa? Yes. NYC in 2010? Not so much. This is a never ending circle, With Z100 in the middle, laughing at the circle as it spins to nowhere. Incase you missed it... 92.3 is LOSING the Top 40 battle. Did I mention 92.3 is losing? But, i think its cute how some of you are "rooting for the underdog". But that isn't going to help 92.3 climb the ladder. The product ALWAYS speaks for itself.

The thing that annoys me most about NY radio (and radio in general) is that stations try to compete with other stations using the exact same format, rather than trying to fill a format hole.
Here we have 92.3 trying to be (or be better) than Z100, so they waste all their efforts in an endless losing battle. Best case scenario they are only going to achieve about half the top-40 audience. As opposed to say, if they flipped to country, they would own the entire country audience and have a monopoloy on that format.

GooberVision said:
92.3 is losing. Period. No argument. No one's opinion will change how great Z is doing and how sub-par 92.3 is doing since launch. Its all in black and white. Month after month... year after year. I don't see why people keep defending an underperforming top 40 which is nowhere NEAR Z in ratings, revenue, class or anything else for that matter. Dom theodore is doing the SAME "innovative" radio he did in 1998 at FLZ in Tampa. His repositioning efforts are not working. Did they work in 1998 in Tampa? Yes. NYC in 2010? Not so much. This is a never ending circle, With Z100 in the middle, laughing at the circle as it spins to nowhere. Incase you missed it... 92.3 is LOSING the Top 40 battle. Did I mention 92.3 is losing? But, i think its cute how some of you are "rooting for the underdog". But that isn't going to help 92.3 climb the ladder. The product ALWAYS speaks for itself.

Z-100 is living on its heritage, that's all. The content is awful. The only place where Z beats NOW content wise is Elvis in the morning and that's like saying a Pinto is better than a Yugo.

I'm amazed at the people here who cling to what it was, almost as if they are praying Z will one day actually live up to its heritage. I guess there is no hope in when JJ, MoBounce, Ryan Seacrest and Shelly Wade are considered good CHR radio.

Since Now is not going in their "goal" they do have an upper hand on filling a format hole(s)...the dance fans and the classic hip hop fans based on Tic Tak's show are somewhat being served. If anybody they can have a little competition with is KTU and Hot 97. It would be a fun and creative direction for the possibility of having a station similar to WPTY and WWAC, except sprinkle more classics in between. That can possibly increase numbers, but not really follow the "Now" brand as much as. With this kind of dream mix, an "Amp" brand may just fit. Just a thought. 8)

BabyDJ said:
GooberVision said:

Z-100 is living on its heritage, that's all. The content is awful. The only place where Z beats NOW content wise is Elvis in the morning and that's like saying a Pinto is better than a Yugo.

I'm amazed at the people here who cling to what it was, almost as if they are praying Z will one day actually live up to its heritage. I guess there is no hope in when JJ, MoBounce, Ryan Seacrest and Shelly Wade are considered good CHR radio.

Keep using that SAME "heritage" statement that holds zero water... heres why:

Let me inform you on PPM... Stations hanging on to heritage in a diary world is very real. When 2 stations are playing the same thing but one is a heritage, people will most likely write down the heritage station since thats whats burned in their head. They think of their favorite song and think the song was on the most popular one (the heritage).

But NYC is PPM, as you know. No more writing down stations, no more remembering where you hear the song. The device people carry listens to the stations the people are listening to, and for how long. Heritage holds no water in the PPM world. Because if a better product was somewhere else, they would change the station and the PPM would record that.

92.3 is showing decent Cume numbers... but the people ARE NOT sticking around... and that is evident in the numbers. PPM doesn't lie. If people were enjoying 92.3, they would listen and the PPM would record that data.

HERITAGE holds no water with PPM. If people don't like what they are hearing on either station... they change the station and PPM device takes the data. If 92.3 was so much better, people would stick with them and they would win. But a large number of people (cume) ARE listening to 92.3. Unfortunately for them... the product is sub-par and they are NOT listening at length. Which is evident in the ratings.

Not sure how else to explain it. I'll say it again... its written in black and white. And your "heritage" statement is laughable and holds no water. If you just think Z100 is terrible, thats fine and your opinion. But to say the good ratings are based on heritage... that statement is just incorrect.

Heritage does work in PPM especially if listeners don't know there is an alternative. And that's all Z has going for it. You would think Z would be a better station with competition but that hasn't happened.

In a way you have to commend them, the programming and talent HAVEN'T improved, which means they have stayed the course, which is what you're supposed to do. But in Z's case, any change would have been an improvement.

92.3 plays its powers every hour. That may be why people aren't sticking around. But I love it when they play Only Girl In The World every hour.

musicman3355 said:
I'm 100% sure CC is NOT going to flip Z100. They have higher ratings than NOW, not to mention they're one of the most known CHRs in America... NOW needs to try harder to get that title.

NOW is too "urban" in its imaging and that is why its cume matches that of HOT and POWER.  The next step for the station to modify its brand and push is out to suburban listeners, all while avoiding alienating its urban core audience.

Brooklyndon said:
musicman3355 said:

NOW is too "urban" in its imaging and that is why its cume matches that of HOT and POWER. The next step for the station to modify its brand and push is out to suburban listeners, all while avoiding alienating its urban core audience.

I agree, 92.3 Now FM is way more Rhythmic leaning where z100 is not. 92.3 might do better if Power or Hot wasn't here. Also theirs a reason 92.3 leans Rhythmic to protect Fresh 102.7. I wonder what the ratings of 92.3 Now FM if they sounded like CBS Radio's CHR KISS 95.1 in Charlotte, NC. Sure its a different market.

GooberVision said:
But a large number of people (cume) ARE listening to 92.3. Unfortunately for them... the product is sub-par and they are NOT listening at length. Which is evident in the ratings.

CHR stations are the most guilty of any format for having a repetitive playlist. So it's not surprising at all that people are not listening at length.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom