• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

850 koa heard in Hillsville virginia

FWIW-KOA was just blasting into eastern IN- (Richmond) on Labor Day around sunrise. Richmond IN is about 50 mi W of Dayton-Springfield OH.
That morning I locked onto KFI with an ID and had the station for 5 min or so before fading away into the slop.
I make fun of my receiver-an old Bose Wave but it's quite directional.

radioman148 said:
I'd be interested in viewing that. Any reception of WLS on occasion?
I don't suppose you can get 670, 720, or 1000 from Chicago.

There's too many Spanish stations on 670 to hear much of anything.

WGN can sometimes be heard as the main station on 720 but usually it's in the background of Spanish stuff.

WLS can always be heard to some degree but most of the time it's taking a back seat to a stronger Spanish station.

Haven't heard anything I can identify on 1000.

I remember in the 70s and early 80s, I thought of WLS as the big station for the US at night.

It had a strong signal in the east and south and a fairly good regular signal even in Northern California!

Good luck getting it out there today.

gar fla said:
radioman148 said:

WGN can sometimes be heard as the main station on 720 but usually it's in the background of Spanish stuff.

WLS can always be heard to some degree but most of the time it's taking a back seat to a stronger Spanish station.

I remember in the 70s and early 80s, I thought of WLS as the big station for the US at night.

It had a strong signal in the east and south and a fairly good regular signal even in Northern California!

Yeah WLS used to easily reach the west coast at night and I once picked it up in Hawaii. Now with the big crowd on 890 it's a different story.

radioman148 said:
gar fla said:
radioman148 said:

Yeah WLS used to easily reach the west coast at night and I once picked it up in Hawaii. Now with the big crowd on 890 it's a different story.
Ah for the good old days when there was 1 night signal on 720, 780, 890, 1160 etc...them was good days. KSL 1160 was into Cincinnati almost every night--never strong, but usually there and with zero interference from other signals.

BobOnTheJob said:
radioman148 said:
gar fla said:
radioman148 said:

Ah for the good old days when there was 1 night signal on 720, 780, 890, 1160 etc...them was good days. KSL 1160 was into Cincinnati almost every night--never strong, but usually there and with zero interference from other signals.

Those were great days. You could depend on many stations to come through everynight and always a good chance to catch some new ones.

I've picked up KOA as far east as Spartanburg, SC, barely, but coming in. I've tried many times from Charleston, but where I live, it's mostly the Gainesville and West Palm Beach stations on 850 (with a touch of Birmingham).

In the metro Atlanta suburbs (not in the city itself), you can pick up KOA very easily during the winter, and even during the summer. Anywhere west, it comes in very well (especially in the Nashville area).

radioman148 said:
Those were great days. You could depend on many stations to come through everynight and always a good chance to catch some new ones.

Indeed those were the days! I hope that the FCC comes up with a plan to create an FM band extension (hopefully down to 76 MHz since I have a Sony that goes that far down already!) It would be great if a large number of AM/MW stations moved to FM, and I'm sure the local stations would welcome the chance to have a clear signal for their community. And we DXers would appreciate the AM/MW band being opened up a bit more again!

Re: 850 koa heard in NE Philadelphia, PA

Let me add my (first-time) logging to the list. Heard KOA last night on the Sony ICF-SW7600GR (with internal loop) around 2207 EDT while WHAS was nulled, giving a weather forecast and ID, then into the Mike McConnell show. Pretty good for 1580 miles! 8)

---Perf2k9
...who knows what I'll get next...Croatia? :D

Not sure exactly where you are located but depending on what closer stations there are, I'd suggest looking for KFI.

After listening for some time on 640 and never getting anything I could identify, I finally got it for a few minutes late one night earlier this year here in Tampa.

I got it once in New Jersey too back in the 70s and that was only after listening for it night after night after night.

When I'm able to, I'm still looking to get KFI again. I can often hear a talk station when facing the radio WNW but it never comes in good enough to ID.

gar fla said:
Not sure exactly where you are located but depending on what closer stations there are, I'd suggest looking for KFI.

Well, I'm in NE Philadelphia, PA, and KFI on 640 is a challenge here because of local Radio Disney'er WWJZ Mt. Holly, NJ occupying that space, but who knows what a null might bring? ;)

I'll keep ya posted...

---Perf2k9

Strange things happen.

When I was in my first year of college up in Bethlehem, I was able to get WIOD from Miami on 610 when nulling out WIP one night.

If there was a station on 640 from Mt. Holly back when I was living near there in the 70s, I never would have had a chance of getting KFI.

I hear KOA all the time here in NW Georgia. I was listening the other night to the Broncos-Steelers game on KOA.

Here in Southwest Ohio .ast night, KOA's signal, although fading in and out, was a good as the Chicago stations usually are.

AckDX said:
Can't get it here. You can thank WEEI for that.

Even if WEEI wasn't there, there are a couple of other 850's between you and Denver. WKNR Cleveland is one that used to dominate the frequency for me when I lived in the eastern PA area; WTAR in Norfolk would occasionally come in too around there. They have a 25 kw signal at night - mainly aimed at the fish and (to a lesser extent) Bermuda. But a bit of the signal would sneak north along the east coast, particularly during the winter months.

Basically, it would take the FCC to re-open the clears for you to have a decent shot at KOA. Even here in the Chicago area, where KOA comes in well most nights, I still hear a whisper of WGVS Muskegon, MI in the background now and then.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom