• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

790 WLBE off the air

It's been a few days now, but WLBE is off the air. I can now pick up WAXY out of Miami during the day. I cannot find anything on this in the FCC database. Radio-locator has them listed as currently off the air. I tried calling the station but all I get is a voicemail. Their stream is down and there's no mention of anything on their Facebook page. I believe I read somewhere a few months back that they were up for sale. Anyone know what's up?

It's been a few days now, but WLBE is off the air. I can now pick up WAXY out of Miami during the day. I cannot find anything on this in the FCC database. Radio-locator has them listed as currently off the air. I tried calling the station but all I get is a voicemail. Their stream is down and there's no mention of anything on their Facebook page. I believe I read somewhere a few months back that they were up for sale. Anyone know what's up?

You didnt look too hard... they filed to go silent June 6th due to financial diffulculties
https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...xt=25&appn=101806099&formid=910&fac_num=73202

Just happened to check them out the weekend before filing says it went silent. Heard ads (not local ones-prob the music net ones) and local ID slightly different since last listen (WLBE, Leesburg/Eustis/AND the Villages) coming back from a break, and tuned away.

For the station once called, "Your memory maker".... Might just be a memory now. They didn't actually get a translator operation up and running yet, or had they?

Byron

Just happened to check them out the weekend before filing says it went silent. Heard ads (not local ones-prob the music net ones) and local ID slightly different since last listen (WLBE, Leesburg/Eustis/AND the Villages) coming back from a break, and tuned away.

For the station once called, "Your memory maker".... Might just be a memory now. They didn't actually get a translator operation up and running yet, or had they?

Byron

No, the app hasnt even been granted yet.. several petitions to deny, replies and oppositions filed by southern stone from daytona since WLBE wants their translator on 95.7 fm.. same channel as one of southern stone's stations

What ever became of WLBE's station manager, who we knew on this board as "ok Walters"?

He moved on to Gold 99FM (99.5/7 pair) in Ocala/Gainesville after WLBE. Forum account is since deleted/banned, inactive here since 2017 anyways. Not sure where he's at now.

Byron

It's always sad when you hear an AM station has gone off the air. Especially if it has a decent signal low on the dial. AM 790 with 5,000 watts days, non-directional, and 1,000 watts at night, directional. That's a good signal!

Central Florida is booming. Lots of mature people moving in who are satisfied with AM radio. Yet the station has financial problems and toward the end was running infomercials, even during weekday periods.

Was management not running it properly? No one sought an FM translator till it was too late? You'd think being licensed to Leesburg, far enough from Orlando, there'd be some place on the FM dial to put a 250 watt translator that wouldn't interfere with existing stations.

He moved on to Gold 99FM (99.5/7 pair) in Ocala/Gainesville after WLBE. Forum account is since deleted/banned, inactive here since 2017 anyways. Not sure where he's at now.

Byron

Blount Broadcasting in the Alcoa/Clinton/Knoxville, TN area. They own several radio stations

It's always sad when you hear an AM station has gone off the air. Especially if it has a decent signal low on the dial. AM 790 with 5,000 watts days, non-directional, and 1,000 watts at night, directional. That's a good signal!

Central Florida is booming. Lots of mature people moving in who are satisfied with AM radio. Yet the station has financial problems and toward the end was running infomercials, even during weekday periods.

Was management not running it properly? No one sought an FM translator till it was too late? You'd think being licensed to Leesburg, far enough from Orlando, there'd be some place on the FM dial to put a 250 watt translator that wouldn't interfere with existing stations.

Did you read up on the station? If you did, these questions would be answered

The owner lived out of state and her husband was sick.

and if you'd read my comment above, they filed for a translator but its been hung up by objections by Southern Stone in Daytona/WHOG 95.7

They have been off the air for the past few days. Checked the FCC's CDBS page for any info on it. All I can find is an application asking for an extension to operate at a reduced power at night due to directional switching problems. One would have to assume it's because of what's going on right now. I've read that quite a few stations have gone silent do to financial reasons, but honestly, I don't know how WLBE was making any money before all of this happened.

They have been off the air for the past few days. Checked the FCC's CDBS page for any info on it. All I can find is an application asking for an extension to operate at a reduced power at night due to directional switching problems. One would have to assume it's because of what's going on right now. I've read that quite a few stations have gone silent do to financial reasons, but honestly, I don't know how WLBE was making any money before all of this happened.

you can be off the air for 10 days before you need to notify the fcc, 30 days before you request permission.. but its not uncommon to be off longer then 10 days before something is filed and you probably wont get in trouble for it anyways

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom