• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

760 KGB

For a while this year, KGB AM 760 was not using it’s night-time pattern at night because they were coming in pretty clear at night in Phoenix. That may have changed now, but for most of this year, KGB was staying on day pattern at night.
That should have prompted complaints from WJR.

Unlikely, considering that San Diego and Detroit are about 2,000 miles apart. And you have all the other stations now on 760 at night. Listeners outside of greater metro Detroit are irrelevant to WJR.
Fair enough. But that is the original reason for KGB's night pattern---protection of 760 Detroit and Honolulu. How many other stations are on 760 nighttime?

There are several class B stations on 760:

A couple of 50 KW day 1 KW night KDFD Thornton CO, KTKR San Antonio TX. Some The FCC has "New" 10 KW day, 1KW nights for both Sierra Vista AZ and West Yellowstone MT. I don't think this is going to be a really "clean" skywave channel at night in the American West and Southwest.

There are several class B stations on 760:

A couple of 50 KW day 1 KW night KDFD Thornton CO, KTKR San Antonio TX. Some The FCC has "New" 10 KW day, 1KW nights for both Sierra Vista AZ and West Yellowstone MT. I don't think this is going to be a really "clean" skywave channel at night in the American West and Southwest.

Yeah---it had been a while since I looked (or cared). Thanks!

The "new" are either leftovers from the AM Auction, or NARBA registered international allocations that'll never be built.
There's a NEW 990 1 kw ND unlimited allocation for Weyser(sic) Idaho (It's spelled Weiser). That never would have been built.

I don't know the specifics at the California Mexico Border, but in the international agreements, interference ratios and concentric contour rings (more or less) can be used to allow border stations to operate 20 kHz apart, and the last I looked their were no 30 kHz restrictions. If you look at applications for WTOR 770 in Youngstown, NY, there is no 30 kHz exhibit shown for CFZM 740, a real Toronto station really in Canada. WRDT 560 and CKWW 580, and formerly CBEF 540 and WRDT 560, and the former CHYR-7 730 and WJR 760 all operated under international border agreements which allowed them. Canada and Mexico may also both have the option to allow US stations to interfere with them. But something in the treaty prevents US stations from allowing interference except as allowed in agreements. What I don't understand is why US stations apply to not overlap their 0.5 mV/m to the 15 mV/m of Canadian stations 20 kHz apart, when it looks like waivers, policies and provisions of the agreement would allow more overlap. They do it routinely with FM, allowing Class A and all Class C stations and subclasses to be allowed interference to the US station's 60 dBu contour normally protected in the US, rather the the 54 dBu allowed in the FM agreement.

There at plenty of border AM allotments in Canada that will probably never be occupied, but prevent many, many US stations from optimizing their facilities, with shallower nulls, and wider major lobes. The biggest is WWJ 950, which has to protect 950 in Barrie, ON Day and Night, long ago vacated by CKBB.

Last edited:
760 wasn't one of the frequencies which were opened up for Class II-As. There is a station in Hawaii, KGU 760, which was considered to preclude a Class II-A in the Western US. There was always a contentious relationship between Class I-A WJR and KGU regarding interference. In fact, for many years, KGU operated with Daytime and Limited Hours. WJR fought KFMB when they had to move off 540, and 760 was the only channel otherwise available. But a settlement was negotiated, and as I recall, they were NEVER supposed to be more than 5000 watts. We can see how that ended up. Now there's a station in Shawnee Mission, KS, KCCV, just barely within Class D limits, just outside the revised skywave calculation 0.5 mV/m 50% skywave contour of WJR. At one time, there were no full-time stations allowed within 750 miles, the old calculation of the 50% skywave limit, but I have never seen that rule or policy in writing.

Many people at WJR used to care about their "38 state" skywave service area. I would say they still care about service within 100 miles or so, but being owned by Cumulus, and having sold all their towers, and despite better offers to buy the tower, who knows. Big stations owned by Audacy, for example, selling WBBM's tower site, which most people agree made the signal worse toward Chicago, regardless of the official company position.

Last edited:
KGU 760 had a tortuous route to 10 kW Unlimited on 760. From around 1932 until the mid 1950s, they were limited time on 750 and 760 to protect WJR. Due to the time zone being five or six hours difference, and extensive STAs for many reasons outlined in the History Card, they were operating many more hours than Daytime only. For a while, they moved to 740 until they were authorized full-time on 760. Before 1932, they were unlimited time on other frequencies. It looks like they were limited to 2.5 kW so that the 25 uV/m 10% skywave did not reach the mainland.

KGU 760 had a tortuous route to 10 kW Unlimited on 760. From around 1932 until the mid 1950s, they were limited time on 750 and 760 to protect WJR. Due to the time zone being five or six hours difference, and extensive STAs for many reasons outlined in the History Card, they were operating many more hours than Daytime only. For a while, they moved to 740 until they were authorized full-time on 760. Before 1932, they were unlimited time on other frequencies. It looks like they were limited to 2.5 kW so that the 25 uV/m 10% skywave did not reach the mainland.

Good info...

I had KGB fairly loud and mostly clear for several minutes up here for the first time Thursday night the 22nd

I gotta say, living in Los Angeles I appreciate that I can now flip over to 760 for Fox Sports Radio if 570 here in LA is deep in a Dodgers broadcast

For the last few weeks, KGB-AM 760 has been at the same signal strength day and night. Did they get a license modification to go down to 5kw nights?

For the last few weeks, KGB-AM 760 has been at the same signal strength day and night. Did they get a license modification to go down to 5kw nights?
Could be the continuing diplex work to put KOGO on the 760 towers requires KGB to run their day power/pattern.
760 KGB has no construction permit(s) to modify their license.

Is it usually better or worse? The sample you provided is pretty hard on the ears.

I havent done much AM DXing at night lately at all, but KGB is not very often heard here.. before one ofthe XEPRS towers fell, they blasted in here

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom