• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

600 WSJS transmitter site vandalized

Looks as if at least two towers were felled. AM 600 and Winston-Salem translator 101.5 are off, though others are running.

Looks as if at least two towers were felled. AM 600 and Winston-Salem translator 101.5 are off, though others are running.
Hope the idiot who did this is in jail soon. And he gets his butt sued off.

Is it ok for the stations' FMs to be on without the AM? RadioInsight says they're "originating their own programming", but to be fair I don't think they should be in trouble just because of what someone did to their originator.

Is it ok for the stations' FMs to be on without the AM? RadioInsight says they're "originating their own programming", but to be fair I don't think they should be in trouble just because of what someone did to their originator.
I believe that a short term technical problem with the originating AM of a translator is permitted. I can't find anything in the rules, but I only made a cursory search. The FCC, in general, does not rule where service would be deprived of the community, so I'd guess there is some tolerance / flexibility here.

I believe that a short term technical problem with the originating AM of a translator is permitted. I can't find anything in the rules, but I only made a cursory search. The FCC, in general, does not rule where service would be deprived of the community, so I'd guess there is some tolerance / flexibility here.
Technically no.

The only times a translator is legally allowed to operate when their parent station is not is if the parent is an AM daytimer and the translator can broadcast 24/7. See section (b) Federal Register :: Request Access

What crazy timing that the FCC just approved WSJS to become class D non-directional 1.4kW day/110 w night from a triplex on the WPOL 1340 tower along with 1500 WSMX.

They will join the ranks of WDNC, WAAV, WKIX, and WNCT, deactivating regional directional plants to

Technically no.
This will be an interesting case study, then. If they continue to operate the translators... and they have stated that two of the three are on an running the regular programming... will 1) they file for a special permission 2) just operate unknowingly while they make a temporary AM facility operative or 3) tell the FCC they are "accelerating" the new triplexed AM operation but believe keeping the translators on is "in the community interest". I can't see the FCC objecting to either # 1 or #3.
The only times a translator is legally allowed to operate when their parent station is not is if the parent is an AM daytimer and the translator can broadcast 24/7. See section (b) Federal Register :: Request Access
But we have seen a number of cases, such as during the storm damage recovery in SW FL, where translators have stayed on while the AM was being repaired. The question is whether the FCC does no jump in when they see such obvious needs, or whether they don't act because they just don't know.

The Winston-Salem Journal has an interesting article on the collapse that gives more details. Apparently, one of the four towers fell prior to Truth purchasing the station last year, and another--the one with the 101.5 FM translator--fell around Christmas; both of which they thought were weather related before this week's vandalism.

Last edited:
This will be an interesting case study, then. If they continue to operate the translators... and they have stated that two of the three are on an running the regular programming... will 1) they file for a special permission 2) just operate unknowingly while they make a temporary AM facility operative or 3) tell the FCC they are "accelerating" the new triplexed AM operation but believe keeping the translators on is "in the community interest". I can't see the FCC objecting to either # 1 or #3.

But we have seen a number of cases, such as during the storm damage recovery in SW FL, where translators have stayed on while the AM was being repaired. The question is whether the FCC does no jump in when they see such obvious needs, or whether they don't act because they just don't know.
WSAT in Salisbury was off the air but its translator was running several weeks ago. WSAT is back.

Curious, since broadcast stations are licensed and overseen by the FCC, which is a federal agency, are things like destruction of tower sites and removal of wiring and cabling for its copper value automatically federal offenses if they drastically affect a station or take it off the air? If so, are those types of crimes taken seriously and prosecuted strongly, or does the government not have the time/bodies/money/bandwidth to bother?

Reading the article paints a strange situation.

This started before Christmas and just now was reported in the news?
This happened twice and no one decided to put up some sort of camera before the third one came down?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom