• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

50s and 60s rock returns to FM

C

caveman-97

KWXL-LP is on 98.7 and programs rock oldies from the 1950s and 1960s. Station is owned by Tucson Unified School District but obviously isn't programmed by the students. Besides the music, there are constant plugs for the automation software (probably a trade deal). The station has a terrible signal and its coverage is pretty much limited to downtown and South Sixth Avenue areas. I picked it up all the way to Valencia. Biggest problem is that they stupidly selected a frequency used by a high powered station in Phoenix. KWXL's main attribute is that it prevents Tucson people from hearing the Phoenix station over much of the city. The interference area far exceeds the service area. Might be a good argument against low power FM.

A station owned by a school district? That's surprising to me... wonder if that's more common than many would think? I'm just a young radio noob... ;D
I'll try to give it a listen next time I go down there to Tucson.

KOOL Listener Lauren said:
A station owned by a school district? That's surprising to me... wonder if that's more common than many would think? I'm just a young radio noob... ;D

My old High School in Brooklyn housed a radio station (studios and tower). It's owned by the city and the students didn't have much to do with it. Mostly local community programming/public radio type stuff.

automated oldies seems to be the format of choice for these am throwaway stations.

guess all the perry como listeners are dead.

Noob,
Chicago, Lafayette, and Columbia City, IN also St. Louis, MO have public school owned stations. There are many more.

If the "plug for automation software" is for OTS it means its the free version, not the purchased version. This too is quite common.

I'm 57 retired from owning 4 stations. I was a noob in the 60's. You'll be an old fart like me in about 2050. I'll be dead by then. Good luck.

I would like to reply to the following comment:
"KWXL-LP is on 98.7 and programs rock oldies from the 1950s and 1960s. Station is owned by Tucson Unified School District but obviously isn't programmed by the students. Besides the music, there are constant plugs for the automation software (probably a trade deal). The station has a terrible signal and its coverage is pretty much limited to downtown and South Sixth Avenue areas. I picked it up all the way to Valencia. Biggest problem is that they stupidly selected a frequency used by a high powered station in Phoenix. KWXL's main attribute is that it prevents Tucson people from hearing the Phoenix station over much of the city. The interference area far exceeds the service area. Might be a good argument against low power FM."

First of all, 98.7 is a new low power FM radio station that broadcasts from Pueblo Magnet High School. The station started off as a blues station on AM 1660. The station now plays music from the 50s through the 70s. Their theme is "Old School Radio", which also allows the students to play some old school 80s and 90s when they're in the studio. The students do not program the music when they are not there, but during the school year, most of the music is programmed by students in a Broadcasting class. These students also run a news program 27 minutes after the hour, every hour. They cover National news, Pueblo announcements, and sports (Pueblo and AZ). Because it is a low power station, yes, it's signal does not reach very far...more like a 3-mile radius around Pueblo High School. It has been picked up on Skyline before...just think about line of sight and it makes sense. KWXL's signal goes out far before the Phoenix station comes in...and remember, it is just that, a PHOENIX station. KWXL is a Tucson station.

This station is still growing and the program is still developing. The school year begins on August 9th and you should be able to hear the students doing their broadcasts beginning that week. As far as the software goes, DRS 2006 is the software that programs the music. The station is on 24/7 while high school students are only there 5 days a week...9 months out of the year. However, next summer the students will be coming in to DJ throughout the summer. If you're interested in learning more about this station, please feel free to email me at [email protected]. I am the instructor for the "Writing/Reporting for Broadcasting" class and am also the Program Director. Our station is currently not on the air right now because the school is being re-tiled. We will be back on the air at the end of this month.

If you'd like to hear some of our broadcasts from the past year, so you might understand why this station is an argument FOR low power FM stations, please visit iTunes and look for FM 98.7, KWXL-LP in the podcasting section. These kids are reading the newspaper every day, practicing their reading, writing, and speaking skills, and they're developing their social skills each and every day they come to class. For some of these kids, it's what motivates them to come to school in the first place. We will have a website up and running in the next month. Again, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to email. Thank you to all for your interest in our little station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom