• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

5/13 Ratings Posted - WFSH #1

And WJZA-AM came in at #37 ??? They barely make it to Doraville. Unbelievable!!!

https://ratings.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/arb047

WFSH is #1 this period. Is this a fluke or error?

Fluke? I see what you did there... :)

Seriously, I was wondering that myself--although The Fish's ratings aren't out of line (vs. like they are every Christmas). J93.3 was flat, so nothing doing there. Is Fish doing some kind of pre-K-Love push to grab listeners? Or did WSB and V-103 just have a "bad" book?

And WJZA-AM came in at #37 ??? They barely make it to Doraville. Unbelievable!!!

Would PPMs pick up an online stream? Maybe some folks are using WJZA for environmental music/"free" Muzak.

Would PPMs pick up an online stream? Maybe some folks are using WJZA for environmental music/"free" Muzak.

A 0.1 is a sort of "participation trophy" for stations that pay Nielsen for their monthly ratings. Just one PPM detecting the station at any time during the rating period will get the station a 0.1, a rating that would logically mean hundreds of listeners in a market the size of Atlanta. Doesn't make much sense to me, but if it makes some small-time station owner happy to see his little pride and joy in the Nielsen ratings every month and he continues to cut a check to Nielsen every month, then both sides are getting what they want out of the relationship.

Remember Davis has the Smooth Jazz on 100.1 (WNSY) too, which gets into Northern Cherokee, Pickens (I believe there are a couple of meters that "live" there. I saw 2 folks with them at the Jasper MacDonald's last week) Parts of Bartow County, and on a good day 100.1 works North Fulton too. 100.1 "works better" than some of the coverage maps show.

IMHO a couple of billboards would really help up here. They might pick up some time from Atlanta folks in their cabins up here. There are some places up the ITP signals get real "scratchy". Smooth Jazz would be a natural background music. Just don't let the "copy-write police" catch you and make you pay fore some lame form of Muzak.

Last edited:
When I had to make a trip to Gwinnett County for work I saw a billboard with the word Love in big letters then the phrase "happens here" in smaller print then a fish logo so that was a prememptive strike by salem.

Remember Davis has the Smooth Jazz on 100.1 (WNSY) too, which gets into Northern Cherokee, Pickens (I believe there are a couple of meters that "live" there. I saw 2 folks with them at the Jasper MacDonald's last week) Parts of Bartow County, and on a good day 100.1 works North Fulton too. 100.1 "works better" than some of the coverage maps show.

IMHO a couple of billboards would really help up here. They might pick up some time from Atlanta folks in their cabins up here. There are some places up the ITP signals get real "scratchy". Smooth Jazz would be a natural background music. Just don't let the "copy-write police" catch you and make you pay fore some lame form of Muzak.

WNSY 100.1 gets decently into Gwinnett.

Is ASCAP still doing their busts of places with the radio on? I know they could, I just haven't heard anything about it for a while...

But how does WJZA-AM (1310) do getting into Gwinnett? Does anybody know if they moved their transmitter from the MARTA parking lot, yet? Thanks.

But how does WJZA-AM (1310) do getting into Gwinnett? Does anybody know if they moved their transmitter from the MARTA parking lot, yet? Thanks.

Poorly.

The die-hard smooth Jazz fan with a really good radio receiver has:

1310 with some daytime coverage in Gwinnet County:

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WJZA&service=AM&h=D

not the greatest signal but they have a relatively clean channel:

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/l...Y&format=&dx=3&radius=200&freq=1310&sort=freq

with the exception of WPCH in West Point GA 99 miles from the county seat only 1 KW daytime, The next closest signal is WISE 5KW daytime 140 miles away. From personal experience in the 1980’s they really don’t cover what the coverage maps claim thanks to horrible ground conductivity and the mountains. With the increased “noise level” on and thanks to computers, and other man made RF interference introduced in the last 30 years I doubt if anybody has the same AM cover without a major power increase. Is there that much AM listenership anyways?

For ratings Davis should have included the 100.1 signal:

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WNSY&service=FM

and the 101.1 translator:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/map...=WINDER&state=GA&fileno=BSTA-20190205ABO&.map

Neither FM signals are great in Gwinnett.

What about WCLK (91.9)? I know it sometimes fights with a translator in Gainesville, but is it the dominant 91.9 signal in Gwinnett?

According to the FCC site:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/app_list.pl?Facility_id=36144

they do not have an active construction permit. I bet Davis will figure out something soon so they don't have lease an HD sub-channel, once the dust settles from the 101.1 translator verses WLJA issue.

1310 AM is barely on the air. I doubt they're running anywhere near full power and modulation (loudness) is around 20%. I'm guessing they could care less about the AM as long as they can technically say it is on the air. The FCC long ago stopped caring about filing STAs and other bothersome paperwork.

I looked at the WFSH numbers and see that the increases were pretty much across the board. The station is double digits men 6+ at night!! My assumption (which is wrong) was that The Fish is mostly a soccer mom station. Lots of men listen too.
Combine 104.7 and 93.3 and you have a 8.6 persons 6+. That's a lot of CCM listening! I'm wondering how well K Love will do in the market with an almost full market signal.

Another observation....The Fish HD channels have been down for several days now and the signal is very weak on the west side of Atlanta. Hope they have not had an antenna/combiner burn. At least their soon to arrive new competition would also probably be affected as they share the same antenna.

When I travel I-85 through Gwinnett WCLK carries almost as far as WRAS/WREK/WABE. Works well because of being on the Cumulus Shively panel antenna (which also carries 97.9 ) at 1000 feet.

WCLK performs far better than WRFG (65kW@500ft) in that direction! (WRFG is supposed to have a null in that direction but the signal is worse than it should be because they use a ring style antenna side mounted on a 12 foot face tower.)

1310 AM is barely on the air. I doubt they're running anywhere near full power and modulation (loudness) is around 20%. I'm guessing they could care less about the AM as long as they can technically say it is on the air. The FCC long ago stopped caring about filing STAs and other bothersome paperwork.

I looked at the WFSH numbers and see that the increases were pretty much across the board. The station is double digits men 6+ at night!! My assumption (which is wrong) was that The Fish is mostly a soccer mom station. Lots of men listen too.
Combine 104.7 and 93.3 and you have a 8.6 persons 6+. That's a lot of CCM listening! I'm wondering how well K Love will do in the market with an almost full market signal.

Another observation....The Fish HD channels have been down for several days now and the signal is very weak on the west side of Atlanta. Hope they have not had an antenna/combiner burn. At least their soon to arrive new competition would also probably be affected as they share the same antenna.

Mr. Wavo, do you know who owns the tower that 104.7 and 106.7 share?

A 0.1 is a sort of "participation trophy" for stations that pay Nielsen for their monthly ratings. Just one PPM detecting the station at any time during the rating period will get the station a 0.1, a rating that would logically mean hundreds of listeners in a market the size of Atlanta. Doesn't make much sense to me, but if it makes some small-time station owner happy to see his little pride and joy in the Nielsen ratings every month and he continues to cut a check to Nielsen every month, then both sides are getting what they want out of the relationship.

And you know this how?

First, whether or not a station subscribes to Nielsen has no effect on its ratings. When a station does not subscribe to the ratings, Nielsen will not show its ratings to the public, but all stations that do subscribe can see its numbers. The reason of course is so the station can't use its numbers to sell advertising when it's not paying Nielsen.

Second, a .1 share (and it's a share, not a rating) means that .1% (rounded upward or downward) of the people listening in an average quarter-hour are tuned to the station. Nielsen does not give stations .1% of the audience (that advertisers are basing buys on) when the station doesn't have 1% of the audience.

Mr. Wavo, do you know who owns the tower that 104.7 and 106.7 share?

According to the tower registration information, Salem owns the tower.

I wonder if Salem will "invite" EMF to look for other facilities? Of course, that would mean lost tower revenue which would not be easy to replace. EMF could probably go back to the 97.1 tower, at 1380(?) feet and 100 kW. I don't remember the signal being noticeably better when they moved to the Fish stick...

According to David Eduardo, a 0.1 indicates there was some activity on at least a single meter for a station. Hopefully David will elaborate...

But Roddy is correct...you do not have to subscribe to Nielsen to show up in the ratings.

According to David Eduardo, a 0.1 indicates there was some activity on at least a single meter for a station. Hopefully David will elaborate...

But Roddy is correct...you do not have to subscribe to Nielsen to show up in the ratings.

David has explained in several threads across several forums that a 0.1 in the publicly released ratings (6+) is often a "consolation prize" to subscribers. In such cases it represents one PPM recording 15 minutes of listening to that station over the course of the entire rating period. There's nothing that says it can't represent more actual listeners, but that information is not available to the public.

David has explained in several threads across several forums that a 0.1 in the publicly released ratings (6+) is often a "consolation prize" to subscribers. In such cases it represents one PPM recording 15 minutes of listening to that station over the course of the entire rating period. There's nothing that says it can't represent more actual listeners, but that information is not available to the public.

I respect David, and he has a wealth of knowledge. But, I would like to see something written by Nielsen confirming this.

If Nielsen awarded anything to subscribers not afforded to non-subscribers--with the exception of having their P6+ ratings shown to the public--I believe that would be illegal. And I also think showing a .1 share for a station that did not actually have a .1 share would be deceiving potential advertisers (although advertisers and agencies that use Nielsen probably wouldn't buy a station with a .1 share).

That said, hopefully David will chime in and explain, and even better, quote Nielsen's policy regarding this.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom