• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"25 To Life": Should this video game be sold?

R

RobertMoore

There's been a lot of talk lately about the new violent video game "25 To Life" and already the object of the game, in which players are rewarded for killing cops, is attracting controversy before it hits stores. Already theres a campaign by various law enforcement agencies and parent groups to keep this game off store shelves. Even Senator Chuck Schumer(D-New York) is calling for a boycott. I don't know about you but personally I wouldn't want to buy this piece of garbage but there is something in the constitution called the freedom of speech, so if they want to sell it to the public, let them. I just won't be one of them[who buys it].

SELL IT.-- Advertise that it's for mature audiances, TRY to enforce 'no sale' to anyone under 17, publicize that it's violent, make it evident on the packaging, then SELL IT.

NOW.....It is up to the PARENTS ( whoah, where did THAT word come from ) to know what thier kids are playing and what they are buying. Voilence in the media isn't a new concept.

<P ID="signature">______________
-DK</P>

It's a freaking game.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

Here's an idea: "Implied consent"

In the state of Oregon, there's an "implied consent" law that says that if you drive a motor vehicle, you agree to submit to an alcohol test if pulled over by a cop... or if you refuse, it is an automatic drivers' license suspension.

I think this same idea should be applied to video games/mass media as well.
Basically, by playing a video game, watching a movie, etc., you would agree that you would not hold the manufacturers/distributors/retailers/etc., responsible for the actions the individual take as a result of using that form of media.

Furthermore, I would add some teeth to this: If someone killed a cop, injured themself, etc., as a result of playing a video game (as an example), and identified the game as their reason for doing this, the manufacturers/distributors/retailers/etc., have the right to sue the individual(s) involved for violation of implied consent, making their product look bad, negative publicity, lost sales as a result of their game pulled from store shelves, etc.

I think that would make some 15-year old think twice before trying to pull anything stupid that would make their paychecks garnished for the rest of their life because they were stupid and are now having to pay a multimillion dollar lawsuit to the video game company, *and* the parents would also have to actually parent their kids rather than thinking the media and general public are responsible for THEIR responsibility of raising their children.

Because, as Sam said:
> It's a freaking game.

Obviously, there are a lot of busybodies out there.<P ID="signature">______________
"Oregon, welcome to California!" - Bob Barker
Moderator at <a target="_blank" href=http://freedomlist.com/>Freedomlist</a> (not radio related)</P>

Re: Here's an idea: "Implied consent"

"I think that would make some 15-year old think twice before trying to pull anything stupid that would make their paychecks garnished for the rest of their life because they were stupid and are now having to pay a multimillion dollar lawsuit to the video game company, *and* the parents would also have to actually parent their kids rather than thinking the media and general public are responsible for THEIR responsibility of raising their children."

Nah. If people ran rational cost vs benefit analyses before acting, they'd never hold up a 7-Eleven for thirty bucks or manufacture meth in their double-wide.

At first glance, a game consisting of killing cops seems horrific enough but did we really see an outbreak of murders with wrenches, ropes, lead pipes and candlesticks in the 1940's after Parker Brothers introduced "Clue"?<P ID="signature">______________
Jerry

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan</P>

Re: Here's an idea: "Implied consent"

> I think this same idea should be applied to video games/mass
> media as well.
> Basically, by playing a video game, watching a movie, etc.,
> you would agree that you would not hold the
> manufacturers/distributors/retailers/etc., responsible for
> the actions the individual take as a result of using that
> form of media.

One would think that with the 80 page EULAs in all the software that this would already exist.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom