• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

2024 Format Change Predictions

Which stations do you think will change formats in the coming year?

My predictions....

KITS will zoom to #1 in the market. This will cause considerable consternation and counter-moves. KCBS will hire Live 105 legend Steve Masters as one of its morning news anchors to capture the aging Gen-X audience. Cumulus will respond by trying to resurrect KFOG, this time on the AM band on the KGO frequency, complete with installing AM stereo transmitting equipment bought on eBay. The concept of resurrection will give Family Radio the idea to use AI to have a simulated Dr. Don Rose at the helm of a revamped KEAR. This will also be a proof of concept for using AI to bring back Harold Camping. Audacy will execute yet another format change at 102.1, this time to Polish techno, since they've tried just about everything else. Sports betting will move from KGO to KTCT because no one's listening to KTCT anyway. White nationalists, misunderstanding the meaning of "La Raza" on 93.3, will start flocking to the station and picking up Spanish-language lessons in the process. KPFA, feeling left out, will start programming more Viking metal music. KQED-FM will replace its news anchors with kindergarten teachers, but no one will notice, since the pacing and tone of the announcing will amount to roughly the same. Wild 94.9 will turn back the page and go country, because surely if it worked once it must work again.

Makes as much sense as any of the other speculation you read here.

Here are my predictions:

Audacy will flip 95.7 to News/Talk and bring back the KPIX-FM calls.

iHeart will buy KLOK-AM in San Jose and flip to Classic MOR

Eagle Communications will buy several stations in San Francisco

Here are my predictions:

Audacy will flip 95.7 to News/Talk and bring back the KPIX-FM calls.
The Game is at its most successful it has ever been as Cumulus guts KNBR. Chance of happening 1 in 1,000,000
iHeart will buy KLOK-AM in San Jose and flip to Classic MOR
iHeart is at the market cap of stations under the current rules. And nobody is going to that format. Chance of happening is 1 in 1,000,000,000

Eagle Communications will buy several stations in San Francisco
Why would a Kansas based Cable company that only operates in small markets in Kansas and Missouri buy several stations in San Francisco? Chance of happening is 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

The Game is at its most successful it has ever been as Cumulus guts KNBR. Chance of happening 1 in 1,000,000

iHeart is at the market cap of stations under the current rules. And nobody is going to that format. Chance of happening is 1 in 1,000,000,000

Why would a Kansas based Cable company that only operates in small markets in Kansas and Missouri buy several stations in San Francisco? Chance of happening is 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

...and KDON's Morning Show hosts Sam Diggedy and Showbiz will syndicate their show to several medium and major markets :)

Even less than that. No one's creating new news-oriented news/talk stations (which is what KPIX-FM was) outside of iHeart's BIN, and that's more of an image-building project than one judged on commercial viability.

Why would a Kansas based Cable company that only operates in small markets in Kansas and Missouri buy several stations in San Francisco? Chance of happening is 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.
I'm sure if I mentioned this idea to Gene Millard, he would laugh loudly and long.

(He probably would also remember what happened when Great Empire tried to bring its homespun country radio formula that worked so well in Wichita and Springfield, Mo. to Denver. It wasn't pretty.)

These speculation threads are so damned pointless, anyway.

Last edited:
My predictions....

KITS will zoom to #1 in the market. This will cause considerable consternation and counter-moves. KCBS will hire Live 105 legend Steve Masters as one of its morning news anchors to capture the aging Gen-X audience. Cumulus will respond by trying to resurrect KFOG, this time on the AM band on the KGO frequency, complete with installing AM stereo transmitting equipment bought on eBay. The concept of resurrection will give Family Radio the idea to use AI to have a simulated Dr. Don Rose at the helm of a revamped KEAR. This will also be a proof of concept for using AI to bring back Harold Camping. Audacy will execute yet another format change at 102.1, this time to Polish techno, since they've tried just about everything else. Sports betting will move from KGO to KTCT because no one's listening to KTCT anyway. White nationalists, misunderstanding the meaning of "La Raza" on 93.3, will start flocking to the station and picking up Spanish-language lessons in the process. KPFA, feeling left out, will start programming more Viking metal music. KQED-FM will replace its news anchors with kindergarten teachers, but no one will notice, since the pacing and tone of the announcing will amount to roughly the same. Wild 94.9 will turn back the page and go country, because surely if it worked once it must work again.

Makes as much sense as any of the other speculation you read here.
Fantastic - and The Quake will come back with Rick Scott….

What if I said I wouldn't be surprised to see another attempt at Country in San Francisco itself happens.
Gosh and golly. In a market that is less than 40% non-Hispanic white?

I'm sure if I mentioned this idea to Gene Millard, he would laugh loudly and long.

(He probably would also remember what happened when Great Empire tried to bring its homespun country radio formula that worked so well in Wichita and Springfield, Mo. to Denver. It wasn't pretty.)

These speculation threads are so damned pointless, anyway.
They get weirder every time a new one is posted. This latest "small timer buys station in big city" post comes not long after another poster predicted that Pamal, a minor league operator in upstate New York and Vermont, would be the eventual top bidder for WEPN's spot on the New York City FM dial.

This reminds me of when (hell, he may still be doing it---it's been so long since I tried to read his stuff) Rich Lieberman used to start rumors on his blog that Jim Gabbert was thisclose to buying 610 and bringing back KFRC....and then to buying 810 and re-building KGO.

The only time anyone looks good making one of these predictions is when they understand the market and have some inside information. Other than that, it's the once-a-year credibility killer.

Back
Top Bottom