• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

2022: We gained three dance stations this year!

Western New Mexico: Pirate Radio 96.7
Las Vegas: Acid 87.7
San Francisco: Pirate Radio 92.7

I never would have guessed that there would be 3 new dance stations launching in 2022. This is awesome

I live in Las Vegas now and there are three dance stations here. 87.7, 99.7-HD2, 100.5-HD2

I'm still waiting for another to launch in Miami...

I'm still waiting for another to launch in Miami...
Doesn't Miami have 4? Great market for dance music.

Revolution Radio 93.5 (along with it's feeder WMIA-hd2)

Party 93.1 hd2 WFEZ-hd2

Pride Radio WHYI-hd3 (or possibly hd2 now that Revolution is on WMIA)

Channel Q WPOW-hd3

Are there any others? It would be great to get a freestyle or other dance oldies station.

Doesn't Miami have 4? Great market for dance music.

Revolution Radio 93.5 (along with it's feeder WMIA-hd2)

Party 93.1 hd2 WFEZ-hd2

Pride Radio WHYI-hd3 (or possibly hd2 now that Revolution is on WMIA)

Channel Q WPOW-hd3

Are there any others? It would be great to get a freestyle or other dance oldies station.
And, of course, none of those has shown up significantly in the Nielsen ratings.

WPOW HD2 gets a 0.1 in one daypart which is the "party favor" 0.1 for subscribers that get at least one PPM detection.

The others do not show at all in last year.

Last edited:
Many major markets have at least one dance station on HD2.

For instance in Kansas City, KRBZ HD2 has Channel Q on its HD2.

This is a great thing for musical diversity on the terrestrial dial in these areas.

This is something that those of us who used to advocate for EDM on the radio on this site way back in the day could have never even imagined possible back then.

On a road trip last year I found myself mostly listening to these Dance Hits HD2s. Except when going through New Mexico - then it was 96.7. This is a very interesting station. Somewhat reminiscent of the EDM-formatted Hot 107.1/Denver from 10 years ago. The coverage of Pirate Radio 96.7 strangely seems strong east of Albuquerque, not quite as strong in ABQ and then of course has quite a range heading west of the city as it is a Grants, NM station.

To the OPs point, I agree it's amazing that we're seeing new entrants into the format on primary (non HD2) signals.

Last edited:
Indeed, in my neck of the woods, the only EDM station is Channel Q which recently went jockless—finally.

But to note iHeartMedia has been pulling HD2/3's around the country to force what little HD radio users (myself included) to use their app for their niche dance radio channels. We used to get Pride Radio around here from the late 2000s to mid 2010s, but not since then. Until about 2019, we had none until Entercom/Audacy's Channel Q.

Saladressing, I thought you seemed distantly familiar. I was under the impression that any of the long-timers from back in the day had left or went another dance forum or something. I seem to recall that from maybe from the mid-2000s to 2011 or so, there was a small yet very vocal group advocating for all things dance radio here across America. I think there was even another poster that from time to time would post 'Dance Radio Lists' or something similar from not only here in North America, but across the world, especially Europe. I found those lists informative, but about 2011-ish things suddenly changed. From 2012 out to the present, this forum seem to go into freefall in terms of activity and the lists ceased. Best I could figure is that cyberbullying or perceived harassment caused something of an exodus, or perhaps something else occurred I wasn't aware of. Did some of the others from back in the day give up or lose contact?

I seem to recall the user CHRles who would post these amazing long-form playlists of international dance stations. It was always too much to track down by oneself, but nonetheless very much appreciated. It was a cool time, when it seemed anything was possible in the wake of mainstream dance radio stations of one form or another that were on the air in many major US cities.

We were all hoping for the same radio revolution that happened in alternative rock in the early to mid 1990s to take place on the radio in commercial dance music nationwide. We couldn't figure out why the music wouldn't become huge in the US as it was so accessible and amazing (to us).

100% speculation, but it could have been a confluence including but not limited to the advance of social media, the proliferation of streams to meet anyone's heart's content and the ability to create endless customized playlists from apps such as Spotify & the like that lessened participation in those advocating for dance music on the FM airwaves.

IMO radio is still the most accessible medium. For instance, when i was traveling around last year, it would have taken some effort every time I got in the car to plug the phone in, dial in to some stream (usually jockless) etc. Whereas, I could do nothing and the HD2 of Pride Radio or whatever was booming through the car.

I still love radio and quite frankly, ease of use is a primary reason why. After all, if "old fashioned" radio is providing an equal or even superior alternative to streaming (as is the case I would argue with Pride Radio [that has an airstaff] or even Channel Q [that no longer has an airstaff]), I'm there.

Again this is the case in larger cities. Get into anything lower than a top 50 market or whatever, and generally streaming is an absolute must, unless you like listening to only the tried and true and the overplayed.

This is coming from a music/radio geek and am fully aware that most people use radio (if they use it at all at this point) or any streaming service as an appliance only.

It goes without saying that hearing the latest background noise is enough for most people.

Nonetheless, I still think it would have been fun if pure dance hits had enjoyed more of a run than it did with the remixes and uptempo pop that dominated the charts back then for a while.

Last edited:
I agree with you Saladressing. Radio, especially in the car, is just so easy compared to setting up something to stream.
Unless you are going on a long trip, it is just more practical to listen to radio whether it be FM, satellite or hd radio.
Hop in the car and it's on.

Surprised dance music is associated with the LGBT so strongly, but I guess it could be! There's kind of an EDM/CHR in Salt Lake City of all places!

Surprised dance music is associated with the LGBT so strongly, but I guess it could be! There's kind of an EDM/CHR in Salt Lake City of all places!

But not everyone who loves dance music is connected to the LGBT. See what I'm saying?

Back
Top Bottom