• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

2 less smooth jazz stations

100.3 in Minneapolis and kelz 96.7 in fresno fipped to different formats, 100.3 to talk and 96.7 to country, well now 102.7. any thoughts?<P ID="signature">______________
http://natedoggairchecks.6x.to/
xxnate_doggxx (at) myway (dot) com</P>

> 100.3 in Minneapolis and kelz 96.7 in fresno fipped to
> different formats, 100.3 to talk and 96.7 to country, well
> now 102.7. any thoughts?
>

I think you'll probably see a lot more SJ's to come flipping from the format as opposed to changing to it unfortunately this year. <P ID="signature">______________
Nick Langan
WNJL.com Radio
</P>

> I think you'll probably see a lot more SJ's to come flipping
> from the format as opposed to changing to it unfortunately
> this year.

Can I ask why you think that?

> > I think you'll probably see a lot more SJ's to come
> flipping
> > from the format as opposed to changing to it unfortunately
>
> > this year.
>
> Can I ask why you think that?
>

Just the current state of the format IMO. +12 ratings were down almost everywhere in the last book (except the Smooth Jazz meccas of Detroit and San Diego, lol). Some outlets are also having major billing problems, and as a result both of the above are discouraging stations to flip to Smooth Jazz. I wish I was wrong, but I don't think I am. One can hope some musical changes will be made for the better this year to help steer the format back in the right direction. But right now all I see are more and more outlets playing more tired vocals.<P ID="signature">______________
Nick Langan
WNJL.com Radio
</P>

I have heard that smooth jazz, as we've come to know it in the past 10 years or so, is losing favor with many people. Why? I do not know. The smooth jazz station here in Los Angeles is starting to play older R & B and Motown lately. Their ratings have been slipping in the past couple years. And now it seems that they are trying something different. At the rate they are going, the moniker of "smooth jazz" will no longer fit this station. Personally, I dont like the direction they are going in. If and when I want hear old Motown and R & B, I'll tune into the local oldies station. When I tune into a smooth jazz station, I want to hear smooth jazz, not the Temps, Stevie Wonder or Sade. Yes, I'd say that smooth jazz stations are confused.

Gotta believe XM has a lot of the smooth jazz listnening audience. Was on the road all day on business in the hills of Tennessee and kept thinking how nice it was to be where a terrestrial signal did not exist and I never had to change the channel. Watercolors is sounding better and better these days. I have actually heard some chill being mixed into the smooth jazz sound. Correction, they do not refer to it as smooth jazz rather c jazz. (contemporary jazz) Nock

Anybody..what is 102.7? Call letters, location. Might be able to repond with thoughts.

Nock said:
Gotta believe XM has a lot of the smooth jazz listnening audience. Was on the road all day on business in the hills of Tennessee and kept thinking how nice it was to be where a terrestrial signal did not exist and I never had to change the channel. Watercolors is sounding better and better these days. I have actually heard some chill being mixed into the smooth jazz sound. Correction, they do not refer to it as smooth jazz rather c jazz. (contemporary jazz) Nock
Watercolors is the s*** i like it much better then WJJZ in philly

I agree with what everyone is saying. I went up to DC this weekend, and WJZW-105.9 is starting to sound terrible. Every other song was an R&B/AC (Whitney Houston - Exhale) or a remake of an older songer, (ie Wayman Tisdale - Get Down on it, Peter White- What Does It Take, Kirk Whalum - Whip Appeal) or both (Beyonce Knowles - Wishing on a Star), and I don't have anything really against remakes, but where is the fresh stuff. SJ is starting to sound a lot like Hip-hop, which also likes to recycle a lot of old 60s-70's songs.Watercolors is pretty good, but I think the best smooth jazz station that I've heard is Sky.Fm. They really do an excellent job of programming the station.

>> Watercolors is pretty good, but I think the best smooth jazz station that I've heard is Sky.Fm. They really do an excellent job of programming the station. <<

Tried SKY last night for the first time. Don't know if it was the time (late evening) but it was a little *too* mellow for me. It was pleasant but the steady diet of back-to-back instrumentals got boring after a while. *They* played a lot of covers, too, and I was surprised by the number of tracks in a row where soprano sax was the dominant instrument. You gotta mix it up. It's pretty easy to go from something that features a sax to a piano piece to a trumpet track to a flute, well, you catch my drift.
***** outa 10 from this corner.
Liked the Web site, especially the playlist features. The feedback they get must be invaluable. *Really* enjoyed Steve Cole's "Chill Electronica" from "Spin." Strong piece.

Wow! Didn't think anyone knew about "Chill Electronica" but me for a minute. Strong it is. I didn't realize I was reading an old post when I saw something about 102.7 (and I still don't know what that is). Most of the talk about smooth jazz seems to be Internet or satellite stations which seem to be trying to make a mark. They sound OK but it's hard to tell if they're programmed by people who actually know the music or are just somewhat knowlegeable about the expectations (we want mostly instrumental and tracks beyond what radio plays). That might explain the lack of logic as far as segueing from sax to sax, etc. Wonder if we'll hear any changes in radio smooth jazz or will there continue to be fewer of them...only in large markets where there are more people who will get into it as presented now. Do you think if the radio pool shrinks that AC/Soft AC stations will make SJ (or more like contemporary jazz) specialty show on weekends, a la WRRM in Cincinnati as in days of old? As I recall the format grew out of all those specialty shows of the 70s and 80s, which featured the hipper variety I think we're all wanting to hear on FM. Either there will have to be a splinter format or maybe HD and other formats embracing some hybrid contemporary jazz on a part-time basis.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom