• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1960s Radio Question

I'm hoping someone can give me a good answer to this question. Were there any Top 40 formatted radio stations in the 1960s that did not have their on-air personalties talk over music? I'm trying to do the best possible recreation of a really good station from that decade and I just don't like to talk over the music. If I recall correctly, there were at least a few stations where this was the case. Advice is appreciated.

I'm hoping someone can give me a good answer to this question. Were there any Top 40 formatted radio stations in the 1960s that did not have their on-air personalties talk over music? I'm trying to do the best possible recreation of a really good station from that decade and I just don't like to talk over the music. If I recall correctly, there were at least a few stations where this was the case. Advice is appreciated.

I don't recall any, either local stations in and near Boston, where I grew up, or in distant cities I'd pick up on AM at night, on which DJs didn't talk over the intros and the fades. The trend toward less talk, more music really started in the '70s, when the migration of Top 40 music to FM began. "Hitting the post" -- talking right up to the point where the vocal began -- was a sort of art form. I'd say you'll have to put your modern-era preferences aside and talk away if you want your recreation to sound authentic, as the best stations of that decade all had jocks who knew how to talk up a song.

I'd suggest going to a radio aircheck archive site like www.reelradio.com and listen to the DJs themselves. I think you'll hear they all talked up the music. Or at least the good ones did. They also talked with a certain cadence, tempo, and intensity that made it all work. It was all part of their presentation.

MOST of the Top 40 stations I worked for had the "Intro" times posted -- either ON the 45 itself......or next to the song title on an album....
Hey....if you LISTENED to the song (s) enough times, you became "as one"; me. I just let the music "grow" inside my head ---
My love of 50s and 60s Oldies worked in my favor (most of the time) during my broadcast career....talking up a song just "felt RIGHT"!!:)
That said.....I DON'T talk up songs when I operate my little Part 15 FM on weekends; most of my "faithful" listeners know the music well enough that an "intro" isn't needed!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom