• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1540 WNWR new format?

I recently moved back to the area and hear them airing christian talk. I remember they previously were Hispanic. Was this a recent flip?

I recently moved back to the area and hear them airing christian talk. I remember they previously were Hispanic. Was this a recent flip?

Yes, it was sold to Wilkins communications.. preaching and teaching is what they do, its all they do

I see the station has put in a construction permit to give up its 50,000 watt directional daytime signal. It wants to relocate to a single tower. 10,000 watts days, 7 watts nights, non-directional.

It plans to leave the Roxborough Antenna Farm for a site on Conshohokin Avenue. I think it will be co-located with WHAT's single tower.

I see the station has put in a construction permit to give up its 50,000 watt directional daytime signal. It wants to relocate to a single tower. 10,000 watts days, 7 watts nights, non-directional.

It plans to leave the Roxborough Antenna Farm for a site on Conshohokin Avenue. I think it will be co-located with WHAT's single tower.
That was the plan when the same company owned both WNWR and WHAT. I guess the plan is still filed, but not sure if it will be acted upon by the new owners.

On the satellite picture the Roxborough site already has a cul-de-sac full of houses on it. Which makes one wonder why the FCC still lists it as the station's licensed site...

On the satellite picture the Roxborough site already has a cul-de-sac full of houses on it. Which makes one wonder why the FCC still lists it as the station's licensed site...
Because Roxborough is still the licensed site. The move to the WHAT tower was made under special temporary authority. When you use STA, there's always still a licensed facility on the books, even if it no longer exists in reality.

There's now a pending application to relicense WNWR to the WHAT site and when it's granted the old Roxborough site will cease to be listed as the licensed site.

Perhaps the best example of how long an old licensed record can persist under STA is WPAT-FM in New York, which continued to show the old 1WTC as its licensed site for 20 years after 9/11 while it operated under STA from the Empire State Building and negotiated to be able to be fully licensed there.

I remember years back, (Beatles/Motown), when they were 50kw with a strict southeast pattern, coming off those three tiny towers off ridge pike, so small they didnt need to be lit, one had the owners boat parked next to it LOL. I would receive them in Wildwood better then the locals, big signal for that end of the dial, don't know if it was brute power coming across New Jersey or the signal going down the Delaware river to the bay and up the coast, because I would turn my radio in the direction of the bay, due west, instead of northwest where the signal originated for max strength...strange stuff...

I remember years back, (Beatles/Motown), when they were 50kw with a strict southeast pattern, coming off those three tiny towers off ridge pike, so small they didnt need to be lit...
Because the station is at 1540, a quarter wave tower is less than 50 meters high vs 136 meters at 550 kHz. So a very short tower can be very efficient at the high end of the dial.

Back
Top Bottom