• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1430 is off the air

It sounds like 1430 is off the air. Hippie's legal ID isnt mentioning the station. I'm guessing they are reconstructing the transmitter site. I wonder how long it will be before it returns. And when it does...will it still be a Hippie Simulcast?

It was off on June 7th and co-located WQZQ went silent on June 2nd with the translators reassigned to one of WPRT's HDs. WQZQ applied to move to diplex with WFCN.

Two radio dudes working together in 2023. Imagine that. Actual humans interacting vs send files, vts and emails telling the staff who is fired.

Very "tree falling in the forest"-type stuff here. Seriously doubt that anyone (especially not in radio) ever even noticed that!
I agree. Im probably the only person in Nashville that noticed. I was listening to the AM signal.quite a.bit. Especially when I was east of Nashville. But I agree its like a tree or tower falling in the forest.

Two radio dudes working together in 2023. Imagine that. Actual humans interacting vs send files, vts and emails telling the staff who is fired.
That's what it takes. Banding together for the betterment of the industry.

I agree. Im probably the only person in Nashville that noticed. I was listening to the AM signal.quite a.bit. Especially when I was east of Nashville. But I agree its like a tree or tower falling in the forest.
In the current environment, it is a tree falling in the forest. There's a handful of stations currently that have issues spanning months or nearly a year whether it's a transmitter failure or just simply having connectivity issues. If I had time, I'd work on them and probably for free. The little free time I do have, I spend on one station and I do it for free. I have offered my services to several stations around here, mostly small ones.

I knew both 1430 and 830 had been silent for a while, as well as 810. I've also known 1350 in Carthage keeps going off and on every so often, but their stream works to broadcast high school football.

830 had been testing apparently (my radio doesn't work), so the move has been made and is complete. A covering license was filed.

WYGI has an amendment to the modification application to diplex with WYFN located near the end of Neelys Bend Road with 1.5 kW day and 25 watts night, both ND, using one of WFYN's night towers. It's just enough to cover Madison and a little more in 5 mV/m. It's a significant downgrade in coverage from the licensed parameters even with a more efficient antenna at 139 electrical degrees.

Having that AM gets you what exactly in terms of true coverage. But what does that AM get you on FM?
I understand the point of it. Why spend a bunch of money on a station that happens to be on AM when a translator for it can be placed almost anywhere in the metro?

I know it sucks that ya gotta have an AM too have the trans and the logical business reason would probably be a well-done AM and translator would bring more value, after the land deal that was the bulk of the profit, plus there probably could be some goodwill on the tower site deal. Plus the FM signal might cover some nulls for another FM. Just guessing on that, of course.

Back
Top Bottom