• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1330 Off Again

C

CAVEMANager

Looks like 1330 is back off the air. More than likely they briefly returned to the air just to hang on to the license. This has to be one of the worst run radio stations in the history of Tucson.

I would lose about 5 towers. Downgrade to a class D, and get me translator in the next window, if space is available). Sell the land. Done.

Looks like they are back on again. Hard to guess what they are trying to accomplish other than keeping the license.

Spoke a little too soon. They were on over the weekend but are off again. One can only wonder if they have any long term plan at all.

Right you are, but for how long? I can only wonder if the spry doctor from Yuma has any long term plans for his powerhouse on 1330 besides keeping the license.

Star 1330 is off the air again after being back on for a week at most. Somebody should challenge that license, but yet again, who would want it.

...old post...

The original main lobe was pointed dead on South Tucson - way back in the day, as I recall.

...old post...

The original main lobe was pointed dead on South Tucson - way back in the day, as I recall.

It still is at night when they boost power to 5,000 watts. That's why they should have tried a Mexican format. 1330 is still off the air.

How long can KWFM 1330 remain off the air before they have to surrender their license? Seems like it's been well over a year now.

I was told by a person in a position to know that they plan to do nothing and effectively surrender their license. The owner considered that approach to be better than paying the annual regulatory fee. As I have pointed out elsewhere on this board, the land where their towers are situated is worth more than the radio station is worth. It is surrounded by expensive houses.

It is very possible that at this time someone else could apply for the frequency--if anyone wanted it. Finding another tower site would be the biggest obstacle.

Over the last decade or two, the towers on Swan have sprouted other ancillary antennas.

Again, when that move happened (back in '51...) that land was dirt, dirt cheap.

Did this happen (transfer) back in late 2016 to "AM Radio Licenses, LLC"?

Over the last decade or two, the towers on Swan have sprouted other ancillary antennas.

Again, when that move happened (back in '51...) that land was dirt, dirt cheap.

Back in the early 50's the station using those towers was KCNA - the radio station that got me started on my radio hobby. Those three towers, blinking away every night, are like the towers we now see on South Mountain in Phoenix, a sort of stabilizing effect on the world around.

By today's standards that site was dirt, dirt cheap but nobody had any money back then either. My dad was offered 4 acres with frontage access to 22nd Street between Swan & Craycroft for something like $100 an acre but $400 was 5 house payments back then.

Also, Howard Hughes owned a great deal of that foothills property and refused to develop it for many years. I suspect most people in Tucson were just fine with that given what that area looks like today.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom