• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1290 WQIN

Just curious. Whatever happened to this station. They sounded good for a time. I use to get to that area a lot, and listened to it in the car.

I think I heard that the owner was indicted for something and that is why the station went off the air. They had a real good thing going, I thought.

that would have been "by golly it's me jolly" aka jolly jim hepler. never actually heard wqin it was a rimshot to harrisburg and passing by it's old studio site looked sort of dumpy area.

WQIN was purchased by the Pottsville Republican, they ran it for about 2 years and then shut it down. By the time I got there, their tower was gone and the main transmitter was gonee to Erie, I got the old RCA back up. Most of the equipmenbt from there went to WMBT which later met the same fate.

WMBT-1530 Shenandoah left the air in March 2003, two weeks short of its 40th anniversary. In March 2013 the four-acre property in Weston Place was sold for $40,000.

TomL said:
It was in Tower City, wasn't it?
It was located in Lykens. As a kid I grew up listening to WQIN. I lived just 2 miles from the transmitter so the signal came in strong. WQIN was the station I first heard Casey Kasem's American top 40.

I can't recall who told me this, but big band leader Les Brown was born near Lykens and the story goes that he was somehow involved in an early radio station in that area. Whether there was any connection to WQIN I don't know, but here is the information showing he was indeed from the area.

http://explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=1-A-26D

Jolly Jim Hepler put WQIN on the air around 1976 if I recall correctly. I met him once, he was a good old fashioned crusty broadcaster. He sold the station to someone, I don't know who, to get the cash to put 98.9 WQLV on the air. Both signals were rimshots to Harrisburg but yet WQIN once pulled a 4.0 share in HBg around 1979-80! And WQLV with Jim's own MOR/AC format on it, usually showed up with at least a 1.0 or so, sometimes a 2.0 if the "books went north"....

I do not believe Jim was ever indicted for anything other than being a slightly corny small town broadcaster who did a lot of things right. That must have been a subsequent owner.

celestevo said:
TomL said:
It was in Tower City, wasn't it?
It was located in Lykens. As a kid I grew up listening to WQIN. I lived just 2 miles from the transmitter so the signal came in strong. WQIN was the station I first heard Casey Kasem's American top 40.

My mistake then. ::) Was there ever a station in Tower City?

Just curious. Whatever happened to this station. They sounded good for a time. I use to get to that area a lot, and listened to it in the car.

I think I heard that the owner was indicted for something and that is why the station went off the air. They had a real good thing going, I thought.
There was an owner between Jolly Jim Hepler and The Pottsville Republican. I believe his name was Gordon Lockwood. I believe he was convicted of something, but I don't remember what. WQIN remained on the air for several years after Lockwood was gone.

There was an owner between Jolly Jim Hepler and The Pottsville Republican. I believe his name was Gordon Lockwood. I believe he was convicted of something, but I don't remember what. WQIN remained on the air for several years after Lockwood was gone.
Gordon lockwood took possession of the station from Hepler in Mid February 1986. Lockwood did have some partners, as I recall. Shortly after I graduated from the now defunct Broadcasting Institute of Maryland, I was hired by Lockwood on17 Feb 86 to work as an on air announcer. Over the next four months I thought I had done a very good job, until I made the mistake of flipping the wrong switch and succeeded in turning off the FM signal (Which almost nobody listened to back then). Some engineering guy named Bill was on the phone going through the procedure with me and his directions weren't clear enough. Anyway, Lockwood chose to fire me. To be more specific he allowed me to resign on 18 June, and he didn't even have the courage or class to do it himself. No, he delegated that task to his Program Director (Or Henchman) Curt Davis, for whom I had no regard whatsoever. Davis was Gordie's yes man. I signed the resignation Davis gave me and left, but in retrospect wish that I had not done that. Lockwood was ANYTHING but a professional, and before his downfall, Lockwood fired several more people who worked at the station. He was arrogant, obnoxious, an ego maniac and thought he was above reproach. He actually appeared on the air mornings with Davis for a time. Their show was billed THE CURT AND GORDIE SHOW, and according to what I was later told by another Engineer, a nice guy named Roger Allvord, Lockwood was so unpopular among the listeners that his partners ordered him off the air. Lockwood, from what I heard exceeded the budget by buying and installing new equipment. The guy had delusions of grandeur. Roger Allvord also told me that Lockwood was visited one day by law enforcement who asked to see a valid ID. Lockwood could not come up with one, so he was taken into custody. It appears that his real name was CLYDE ERNEST RAUCHENBACH, JR. He was a con artist, and that con artist singlehandedly DESTROYED my enthusiasm for broadcasting. He ruined it for me permanently. I did get another job with another small market station, but it wasn't the same. Two months after I began the job, I quit and ended my fledgling broadcasting career.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom