• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1280 WTMY flipping to 24/7 sports - the Sports Fanatic

106.5 will love having them move 106.9 north, I'm sure...

106.9 moving north would benefit both 106.5 and 106.9 by changing the desired to undesired ratio. the closer 106.9 is to 106.5 the less the likelyhood of interference to 106.5 hence increase in power for 106.9. Now from a business standpoint 106.9 from The old TV tower by WWPR 1490 and the 98.9 translator where it is would give 1220 good FM presence. However 1220 has bigger issues like building new towers, getting off STA, and paying the bills. WTMY @ 100 watts from the 1450 tower (if they are 100 watts) I have my doubts isnt much signal inland, does good up and down the coast but it's only 100 watts. They can't do that forever they will need to find a real site soon.

To be honest 1220 should move to 1450's site and make it a permanant home. I havent studied it but think it would work.

One more thing why compete with WDAE? I always thought WSRQ was a news talk that wanted to be a sports station and the new management is following suit.

Now WTMY is picking up what WSRQ hasn't and doing the same thing with syndicated filler, not a ratings blockbuster.

This whole thing is a shame, I love AM radio and SRQ (The Metro) is a good case study as to why it will not survive. Just my opinion

hdradioeng said:
106.9 moving north would benefit both 106.5 and 106.9 by changing the desired to undesired ratio. the closer 106.9 is to 106.5 the less the likelyhood of interference to 106.5 hence increase in power for 106.9.

Please elaborate.

Now from a business standpoint 106.9 from The old TV tower by WWPR 1490 and the 98.9 translator where it is would give 1220 good FM presence.
If you are talking about the old 103.3 tower, on 26th Ave W, was #40 in that tower at one point?

However 1220 has bigger issues like building new towers, getting off STA, and paying the bills. WTMY @ 100 watts from the 1450 tower (if they are 100 watts) I have my doubts isnt much signal inland, does good up and down the coast but it's only 100 watts. They can't do that forever they will need to find a real site soon.

To be honest 1220 should move to 1450's site and make it a permanant home. I haven't studied it but think it would work.

Maybe have 1220 join them on City Island. The devil will be in the Clear Channel details and the rent for both stations. WTMY has a decent signal for where it is.
The water is offering something that Hammock never did. It is also spreading the signal more evenly throughout the Sarasota metro area - except for the buildings downtown which will get worse.

The best place, imho, for any of these FM’s would be the Comcast headend on Fruitville Rd. The antenna would offer them a 500 foot tower visible to the whole area. (flight path may prove to be a problem with 100w or greater)

But, don’t forget, 106.9 is hampered by 106.9 WZZS in Sebring, and 98.9 by WBCG in Port Charlotte.

Neither station is going to want interference at the extreme of their coverage.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

The 500 ' stick @ the old WBRD/WDUV studio location on 26 Ave E. (b/4 it burned to the ground) was NEVER used for Ch 40... Original (WXLT then WWSB) tower was in Venice, then transmitter was moved to Parrish.. I heard that the old Venice tower was taken down and rebuilt somewhere in NJ, where the Nelson family (Original owners of WBRD/ WDUV & Ch 40) had another channel 40 TV station that all the old transmitter equipment went to lot, stock and barrel... The tower on 26 Ave was rebuilt about 10 or more years ago... At first, WDUV was a lowly 26,000 watts and on the SW AM tower (125') before the 500 ' er was built, and power increased to 100,000 watts.... WDUV and WBRD later moved both transmitter sites to North of Palmetto,(WBRD got a power increase, 24 ops and had to add a 3rd tower)... WBRD remains there, and the 650' FM tower is now used for 106.5 WCTQ FM...

The sole AM tower on 26 ave was for a non directional 1000 watt back up as Bobby Nelson was GREAT for redundant back ups... Same thing for the 500' FM tower...after the building burned down,and all back up transmitters and everything else was destroyed, it sat idle until WWPR moved off Memorial Pier and they have been using is at reduced power (800 or 900 watts non directional) for a few years now with their offices in a store front located in the 6000 block pf Cortez Road West.

I do not believe there is any FM antenna on the 500 ' stick anymore.. just used for 2 way or cellular use... there does appear to be one 2-way antenna off set up around 400 ' or so...

I worked News for WBRD/WDUV & WXLT TV in 1974-1975 and again part time in the late 70's up through about 1984-85 ....

As I have mentioned before, Bobby Nelson was a great engineer I believe... He had the FM antenna set 3' below the top of the towers and then grounded the hell out of the tower... with the tower the highest part.. it took all the major lightning hits... especially as compared to the old 102.5 tower which though only about 1/4 mile north, got knocked off the air all the time due to lightning hits, despite all their anti lightning measures...

Enjoy the day...

Walt

badjef said:
Because of short-space issues, moving 106.9 north would not be a good move.

Similarly, 98.9 has a problem if they go further south...

Yeah, isn't WGUF not far away at 98.9 FM?

By the way, I read that the owner of the new WTMY wants to get Red Sox radio rights for next year... Well, if the Yankees can have a Tampa affiliate... ::)

DToTheJ said:
badjef said:
Because of short-space issues, moving 106.9 north would not be a good move.

Similarly, 98.9 has a problem if they go further south...

Yeah, isn't WGUF not far away at 98.9 FM?
WGUF is in Naples. There is another station in Port Charlotte on 98.9. That is the station causing interference to the new 98.9 here. They are still not ID'ing and are a duplicate of 106.9 but are picking the programming off independently. So that it doesn't sound as though 98.9 is picking off of 106.9.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom