• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1280 WTMY flipping to 24/7 sports - the Sports Fanatic

DDF

Inactive
Inactive User
Starting mid-August, 1280 WTMY in Sarasota will transition to a 24/7 sports talk format. The local, brokered weekend shows will be staying on the station, and Fox Sports Radio will be syndicated.

How much longer is the FCC going to let them operate with 100 watts under Special TEMPORARY Authority before they make them build a "real" radio station or go silent?

Hasn't WSRQ also tried this format a while ago???? FAILURE

flwfg said:
Hasn't WSRQ also tried this format a while ago???? FAILURE
I'm not sure I would call it a "failure". It brought a silent station on 1220 back to life as WIBQ, which in turn became the WSRQ we have today.

It is possible they want to keep the sports pbp for Rays, Bucs, Bolts, and Bradenron Maurarders (or is that "murderers" ;D) without disrupting the normal programing.

As it is, WSRQ runs pbp OTA and regular programming on-line.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

badjef said:
It is possible they want to keep the sports pbp for Rays, Bucs, Bolts, and Bradenron Maurarders (or is that "murderers" ;D) without disrupting the normal programing.

As it is, WSRQ runs pbp OTA and regular programming on-line.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!
As it stands, WTMY will have the Marauders & FSU football, along with 2 NFL games via Westwood One each Sunday afternoon. WSRQ has the Rays & Bolts. Does anyone have the Bucs in Sarasota? I believe the leagues place restrictions on streaming games online due to the pay services they offer for streaming, i.e. MLB Gameday Audio.

I wonder how many Sarasotans think WSRQ when it comes to the Rays or the Bolts? If the purpose of signing over 4 or 5 hours of broadcast time is to generate money for the local station, wouldn't the fact that 620 has such a powerful signal negate any real gains that 1220 might get? Same situation would exist for WONN I would expect. Meantime, with the exception of 99.9, it is difficult to hear nighttime Rays games in the Nature Coast area. That's where they need to sign up affiliates for the Rays radio network.

SCMcKinney said:
I wonder how many Sarasotans think WSRQ when it comes to the Rays or the Bolts? If the purpose of signing over 4 or 5 hours of broadcast time is to generate money for the local station, wouldn't the fact that 620 has such a powerful signal negate any real gains that 1220 might get? Same situation would exist for WONN I would expect. Meantime, with the exception of 99.9, it is difficult to hear nighttime Rays games in the Nature Coast area. That's where they need to sign up affiliates for the Rays radio network.
The advantage of WSRQ is local signal. 620 covers the market, but the 106.9, though low power, is fine in the metro Sa-ra-so-ta! area where localized interference hinders all AMs from "Tampa".

The "right channel only" audio during the broadcast is another story.

When I am further south, 107.5 W298AV (WENG-FM) comes in with a nice stereo broadcast.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

I thought it was 106.9...

TerryKay said:
Which one was it, this or 1220, that used to run NOAA Weather Radio 24/7 for quite a long time. That format ROCKED!
Still does: NOAA weather radio FM162.55.
:D

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

p.s. 1220

used to be 1220

98.9 is coming from the same tower as 96.5 and 106.9.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

What, the cell tower by the OLD 1220 studios off Bahia Vista??? How did 1220 get 2 translators or did I miss someting???

flwfg said:
What, the cell tower by the OLD 1220 studios off Bahia Vista??? How did 1220 get 2 translators or did I miss someting???
We both did. It is listed on the FCC website.
98.9 is 100% simulcast. It has not been on for very long, they are not even ID'ing the station.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

rfrus said:
98.9 is owned by a third party who is hoping to sell the translator to 1220 and move 106.9 to Bradenton.
Because of short-space issues, moving 106.9 north would not be a good move.

Similarly, 98.9 has a problem if they go further south.

Because of those short spaced issues, both appear more directional in opposite directions.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom