• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1210 Back on Air

C

CAVEMANager

Looks like KEVT-1210 is back on the air with a temporary format of country gold. This will probably last a short time and be followed with some sort of talk format. My feeling is that country oldies could get some respectable numbers in Tucson if it were done on FM and not on a shoestring budget. Today's excuse for country music is little more than thinly disguised pop sung with southern accents by performers dressed up western. Very likely there is a market for the real thing but nobody dares to try it.

KEVT programmed several days of country gold immediately before John C. Scott debuted the Progressive Voice format nine months ago. However, this time KEVT is airing some country music-related liners so perhaps they are serious about a country gold format this time.

As far as I'm concerned country music doesn't exist today. There is a lot of truth to the song "Murder on Music Row". However, I also think a classic country FM might do well in Tucson, perhaps one focused on the legends of the 70's and 80's. It's target audience is more likely to stick with terrestrial radio than the younger demos who are defecting to other sources of music besides radio. Maybe some day radio advertisers will realize this.

When I need a real country music fix... In the car I have a pushbutton on 97.7. At the house (where I can't hear Cave FM) I stream WNKR or WSM. WNKR, a Cincinnati FM rim shot, has been spinning country classics for 25 years employing "has-been" Cincinnati DJ's. The format seems to work for them.

I have reasons for suspecting that the vast majority of the songs played on KEVT were dubbed from the CAVE-FM computer.

If anyone doubts that classic country can get some healthy numbers you need to look at the Cochise County Nielsen survey. CAVE comes in third out of about 25 stations. Top of the heap is 60s and 70s rock KKYZ followed by KNST and then CAVE.

After being off the air for about a month, KEVT has returned to the air simulcasting KAVV. So I was able to listen to the Cave this moning all the way to Casa Grande :)

I hope the Cave can fix the crackle in their audio on the 1210 simulcast. At first I thought it was ignition noise in my car radio but I hear the same static-like noise on my home radios.

I guess the CAVE FM simulcast didn't work out on AM 1210, as I noticed today that KEVT was broadcasting Spanish programming :(

As is often the case, money was the deciding factor. We put many announcements on the air that we couldn't keep 1210 going without advertisers. Several business people expressed some interest but when all was said and done we had only a barber shop and an optometrist. Not nearly enough to pay the rental on KEVT. When a huge tax bill showed up on April 15th that put an end to classic country on 1210. Now we are getting complaints from Tucson listeners who miss what we were doing. KEVT is now broadcasting an internet audio service called Radio Vida. Mexican music with talk about Dios and Cristo. Pretty much the same junk that's on 580. I'd be amazed if Vida is paying any significant rent to KEVT's owner. Meanwhile we are looking at reinstating our internet stream.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom