• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1120 is on the air

Radio55 said:
Only because I don't know much about the engineering side of these things, is there a way the FCC would grant a night signal on 1120? For instance, positioning the signal in a particular direction at a low power, but enough to cover your city of interest--covering, say, Catoosa/Broken Arrow (since it's licensed to Catossa in the first place)? (But probably by the time you got to Claremore, the signal would be gone?). Any of you technical guys have an opinion?

No, you need a minimum of 250 Watts at night, as many towers as it takes...as the station won't allow "new" daytimers.. but an exsisting daytimer can move and remain a daytimer.

KERO 1120 is also way less then the minimum 750 miles away from Class 1A CLear in St Louis, KMOX 1120.. so KEOR will never have night power.

Ok, here's what I found out this evening........KEOR is up for grabs for $600,000! And, there is apparently a "serious" potential buyer. It was looked at by most of the licenses in the Tulsa market but was turned down by them. And, the current owner, Jerome somebody or other, turned down a solid offer for 1/2 a mil! He had started out at $1M. Also, it is a true day-timer, literally sunup to sundown only. No word on who the "serious" prospect is. And yes, they are only tracking music to satisfy license requirements. Their "studio is just some equipment in the corner of their tranny shack up on N. 161st E. Ave.

Mad-Dog said:
Ok, here's what I found out this evening........KEOR is up for grabs for $600,000! And, there is apparently a "serious" potential buyer. It was looked at by most of the licenses in the Tulsa market but was turned down by them. And, the current owner, Jerome somebody or other, turned down a solid offer for 1/2 a mil! He had started out at $1M. Also, it is a true day-timer, literally sunup to sundown only. No word on who the "serious" prospect is. And yes, they are only tracking music to satisfy license requirements. Their "studio is just some equipment in the corner of their tranny shack up on N. 161st E. Ave.

And all it'll ever be is a daytimer.

It's probably an ethnic group looking at it.

I seem to remember KGTO, when it was sold several years ago to Perry, it went for $500k. AM1050 daytimer. If you could do a solid 6a to 7p broadcast day, it might be worth it, but daytime only... man, that's a tough one. Religious Talk, maybe? Something along the line of faith-based talk, Dave Ramsey-like talk shows but for a faith based audience. Just an idea. Wouldn't have to worry about ratings and you can pay the bills. Thoughts?

Faith-based talk is getting to be a harder format to profit in as ministries are moving their resources to the web. The idea of paying for to be on your signal is becoming harder & harder to justify. Even KCFO, for decades the standard-bearer in this market for "Talk You Can Trust" has moved to more talk show type elements (Dave Ramsey, Dr. Laura, etc.) to try to attract advertisers as either ministries have dropped the station or the station has simply seen the writing on the wall.

...Is there enough money to be made in all-infomercials? And do infomercial buyers buy market coverage, or ratings? If ratings, you're doomed... if coverage, you might be able to keep a one-man automated operation like that afloat. (Cable / satellite TV are both doing that more and more.)

NightAire said:
Faith-based talk is getting to be a harder format to profit in as ministries are moving their resources to the web. The idea of paying for to be on your signal is becoming harder & harder to justify. Even KCFO, for decades the standard-bearer in this market for "Talk You Can Trust" has moved to more talk show type elements (Dave Ramsey, Dr. Laura, etc.) to try to attract advertisers as either ministries have dropped the station or the station has simply seen the writing on the wall.

...Is there enough money to be made in all-infomercials? And do infomercial buyers buy market coverage, or ratings? If ratings, you're doomed... if coverage, you might be able to keep a one-man automated operation like that afloat. (Cable / satellite TV are both doing that more and more.)

Infomercial companies buy results.

THey will buy 1 month as a trial... the informercials that air on your station are assigned a special phone number.. or when someone calls, orders are tracked by zipcode.

If they get results, they stay, if they don't get results.. they leave. The cheaper the rate you give the informercial folks, the more likely they are toi stay, as the less they have to pay, the less they have the make to be profitable!

Nightaire has it...on terrestrial radio, unless you have a huge signal or a setup like Bot does with 95.1 in Shawnee and a number of stations nationwise, ministries have found it more wise to move to the web, where their followers will easily go to maintain the relationship. To get new cume, I would guess you'd use internet marketing techniques, direct mail or something else. "The fifth e-mail gets the prize...and remember you must not have clicked in the past thirty days!"

Since this thread died, KEOR has been purchased by the Catholic Diocese of Tulsa for just over half a million dollars.

Since 1120 is a daytimer, what format do you think would work? I'm thinking some kind of religious talk (not preaching) but a faith-based talk format. Something along the line of Janet Parshall, without the politics. What do you think? I can't help but think it would work, considering every second that passes by, someone paid for the time... and you can run commercials.... and not worry about ratings. Your thoughts?

IMO, all radio stations, especially these AM-daytime-only 500 to 5kw stations will continue to do nothing but decrease in value over time..............dying a slow death........sinking $500k into one in catoosa just indicates to me that some still have more money than sense.

Regards,

Radio55 said:
Since 1120 is a daytimer, what format do you think would work? I'm thinking some kind of religious talk (not preaching) but a faith-based talk format. Something along the line of Janet Parshall, without the politics. What do you think? I can't help but think it would work, considering every second that passes by, someone paid for the time... and you can run commercials.... and not worry about ratings. Your thoughts?

I was thinking maybe a Black Gospel format would probably work on 1120 since there's no station in Tulsa that carries the format since 1340 went off the air a couple of years ago. Or maybe another Spanish station (Yeah, I know..Not another Spanish station right?:)) or like someone said in the previous it would be sold to an ethnic owner and air some sort of ethnic format.

Has anyone noticed that 1120 is on the air again, simulcasting with 1340 The Groove?

Interesting they're using UStream for this; however, streaming in any way shape or form is a smart move.

I'm listening 2:45 Tuesday afternoon, & except for an occasional pause, it sounds pretty darn good.

This was in the chat room page when I tuned in:

KJMU HOTT 1340 KEOR HOTT 1120 TULSA'S GROOVE CONNECTION !!! HARDMAN BROADCASTING, INC.

(BTW, if you get a pop-up that says you "have" to log into Facebook? Don't believe it... just close the window.)

1120 appears to be back OFF the air; haven't been able to get them in the past couple of days.

According the FCC database, they received a construction permit to increase their day power with a similar pattern (not clear to me if the tower site changes) from kw to 10 kw, & add "Critical Hours" coverage of 7 kw.

I've never understood why KEOR, Catoosa identified as KEOR, Sperry. Nor why a station owned by The Raftt Corporation in Texas identified as being from Hartman Broadcasting... unless they had an LMA.

Would an LMA of the station be listed somewhere on the FCC website?

Here's a stream of... something... perhaps it's what is supposed to be on 1120 right now:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hot1340

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom