• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

107.9 WOLD-LP flips from Oldies to Soft AC

"Oldies 107.9" WOLD-LP in central NJ has flipped to soft AC as "Sunny 107.9". So far all the liners and IDs are done by an Alexa-like female synthesized voice. The top-of-hour ID is "WOLD-LP Woodbridge", with no mention of WOLD-LP's previous simulcast on 103.3 WPRB-HD3 and translators 107.9 W300CZ Ewansville, NJ and 95.1 W236CT Edison, NJ. As of now the station's web site and Facebook page are unchanged and still refer to the Oldies format.

The "WOLD" oldies format is still broadcasting on WPRB-HD3 and the 95.1 translator. Not sure about the 107.9 Ewansville one.

The website seems to largely only refer to 95.1 and 103.3 HD3 now. But a lot of the on-air jingles and imaging still primarily reference 107.9.

Yes, that's the strange thing -- the Oldies format is continuing unchanged on WPRB-HD3 and 95.1 W236CT, and still ID'ing on the air as "Oldies 107.9, WOLD" -- even though it is no longer actually being broadcast on 107.9 WOLD-LP.

In recent months WOLD-LP was off the air and the W300CZ translator was the only thing being heard on 107.9, plus it was announced that WOLD-LP was going to go dark permanently to make room for W300CZ to move closer to NYC, under new ownership. But maybe that deal got delayed or fell through, and the Sunny format is a placeholder to keep the WOLD-LP license active.

Yes, that's the strange thing -- the Oldies format is continuing unchanged on WPRB-HD3 and 95.1 W236CT, and still ID'ing on the air as "Oldies 107.9, WOLD" -- even though it is no longer actually being broadcast on 107.9 WOLD-LP.
I was in the East Brunswick area last week and thought I heard WOLD-LP bleeding in next to the translator, so my assumption is that the translator, W300CZ, is still simulcasting WPRB-HD3. If so, that would explain why the station still uses 107.9 in their name.

Also, has anyone been able to locate a website, webstream, or socials for 'Sunny 107.9'?

This sounds like the old Sunny 104.5 in Philly. Perhaps they could get the WSNI call letters.
Shawn Ryan, owner of WOLD, was offered a deal to get W236CT and $50000 in exchange for having WOLD go silent. Best Media wanted to move W300CZ to the World Trade Center and WOLD was in its way. That deal fell through.
Now I wonder why Shawn is keeping WOLD-LP on, interfering with itself on 107.9. W300CZ is on its East Windsor site simulcasting the oldies format also heard on W236CT. Would have made more sense to simulcast the programming on WOLD-LP with W300CZ, then flip W236CT to the soft AC format. Perhaps use WPRB-HD4 for the other format.
He needs to keep WOLD-LP on in order to have a bargaining position with Best Media. He doesn’t own the translators, but he can keep the pressure on Best because WOLD-LP can get W300CZ shut down for interference.

W300CZ has a CP to move to East Brunswick that expires in January 2023. But that's so close to WOLD-LP, and on the same frequency, that is makes no sense unless they're simulcasting each other (and in synch), or WOLD-LP goes dark.

W300CZ has a CP to move to East Brunswick that expires in January 2023. But that's so close to WOLD-LP, and on the same frequency, that is makes no sense unless they're simulcasting each other (and in synch), or WOLD-LP goes dark.
That was a minor mod intended to get it closer to NYC.

OMG, I love this Soft AC format!
Its softer than The Breeze was.

Yes, this does remind me a lot of WSNI when it first launched as Soft AC "Sunny" format in 2004.
The Oldies format is also a wide variety one too.
I do wish it was in stereo though.
The voice being used on Sunny 107.9?
Sounds something like Microsoft David for the weather, and one of the reading voices for the VO work.

"Sunny 107.9" WOLD-LP also now carries the weekly Yacht Rock Radio Network show on Saturday afternoons.
How can a concept as narrow as "yacht rock" sustain a weekly show for more than a few months? There can't be more the 300 songs that fit, unless you're going to play every track on all those Michael McDonald, Pablo Cruise and Player albums.

How can a concept as narrow as "yacht rock" sustain a weekly show for more than a few months? There can't be more the 300 songs that fit, unless you're going to play every track on all those Michael McDonald, Pablo Cruise and Player albums.

Well by that logic it would seem much easier to offer variety during a 2 hour show once a week than the SAME 300 song playlists that many stations use around the clock... yeah I get it, the "it tests well" method of programming. I've found this show to be quite enjoyable and the host is engaging and has his pulse on the world of "yacht rock" and apparently, based on a quick check of his site, a lot of affiliates think its a great fit as well: Yacht Rock Radio

Sure the core artists you noted are a large part of it but there seems to be some latitude as in the "cousins of yacht rock" approach, adding more depth and variety.

Theres a yacht rock show thats been on for years in baltimore and just mvoed to WNAV and the Gold stations in havre de grace, metro pittsburgh and coastal NC/SC, its on once a week

A simple google search to what you referred to, states it’s called “The Yacht Club.” So yes different show on all of that groups stations. I didn’t mind doing the research for you 😉

Though, ironically @Radi0411 because of your post and link, im probably gonna pick up the show you mentioned for KSKO! lol... potentially a good fit for our audience and is airable as is for non comms, meredith marx version is not

I hadn't thought much about yacht rock for our station and hadnt heard of this show before

OMG, I love this Soft AC format!
Its softer than The Breeze was.

Yes, this does remind me a lot of WSNI when it first launched as Soft AC "Sunny" format in 2004.
The Oldies format is also a wide variety one too.
I do wish it was in stereo though.
The voice being used on Sunny 107.9?
Sounds something like Microsoft David for the weather, and one of the reading voices for the VO work.
Sunny launched in 2003

Back
Top Bottom