• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1062 Denmark

I've been hearing about Denmark on 1062 and finally snagged their signal last night. They sign on the air every night with a very distinct interval signal that cuts through the noise, making them somewhat easy to identify. With BFO on, I noted that their carrier came on at 0335 UTC (11:35pm EST) and the interval signal played until 0345 UTC. I recorded the DX and posted a link below of the interval signal. Between the interval signal you can hear an audio identification, just barely (0:22 into the recording). Best listened to with headphones:

http://71.205.237.97/1062.mp3

Here's a cool interval signal database too:

http://www.intervalsignals.net/

Give 1062 a shot tonight at 0335 UTC if you haven't heard Denmark before!

kilokat7, that is a really good catch. were any MW signals coming in from Germany at the same time?
was KYW weaker than usual?
what I.F. bandwidth is your receiver set to, and what kind of antenna were you using at the time?
this would seem like a possibility for No. Illinois - we don't have a nearby 1060, KYW theoretically should be weaker in No. Ill. than We. Michigan, and we are not much further away than We. Michigan. But are you near Lake Michigan or another body of water?

stormy01 said:
kilokat7, that is a really good catch. were any MW signals coming in from Germany at the same time?
was KYW weaker than usual?
what I.F. bandwidth is your receiver set to, and what kind of antenna were you using at the time?
this would seem like a possibility for No. Illinois - we don't have a nearby 1060, KYW theoretically should be weaker in No. Ill. than We. Michigan, and we are not much further away than We. Michigan. But are you near Lake Michigan or another body of water?

I haven't noted anything here from Germany, other than maybe a het. Also can't comment on KYW's signal that night - I never checked it and just dialed in 1062 directly and hung out until I heard the carrier come on, and then the interval signal. Maybe I'll check KYW tonight and note their signal and see if anything else is coming in on 1060.

I'm about 5 miles from Lake Michigan and have no idea if the lake has any effect on MW reception. It's an interesting thought though.

Bandwidth was set to the DX-440's "narrow" setting, with further tweaking done using the Quantum Loop's regenerative control. With a lot of practice and patience you can tighten up the bandwidth even more and reduce splatter from adjacent channels as was done here. After dialing in the settings, I bumped the radio up to 1063 to remove some carrier tone still left over from 1060. I should also mention that I do all this tuning and tweaking on the Quantum while listening to the carrier with the BFO on and slightly off frequency (not zero beat), while trying to "bring up" the signal and tighten the bandwidth. Once I've gotten the carrier level as high as I can get it, I'll switch out the BFO and hope from some audio and a new logging.

If I remember too, I had the loop tilted about 45 degrees (I forget the direction). Sometimes this helps nulling splatter from adjacent stations.

Just spent some time on 1060 (0130 UTC) and noted KYW with a very strong signal here. So strong that it's tough to null with the loop, but I found a sweet spot and I'm getting decent quality Spanish talk that I've matched to XEEP Mexico City's web stream. First time logging Mexico for me on MW.

I heard the I.S. just before 11:45PM very faintly in the hash of KYW and 1070WFNI, & believe I heard a male announcer. Started playing music at 11;39:36 pm.

kilokat7 said:
Just spent some time on 1060 (0130 UTC) and noted KYW with a very strong signal here. So strong that it's tough to null with the loop, but I found a sweet spot and I'm getting decent quality Spanish talk that I've matched to XEEP Mexico City's web stream. First time logging Mexico for me on MW.

Definitely need to consider buying/building a better AM/MW antenna! (it seems unlikely that I will hear a country like Denmark without something better than a longwire or the radio's ferrite loopstick) For Mexico try 730 and 900 as well, hopefully you'll be able to null strong stations on those frequencies. I did hear 1060 from Mexico City a few nights ago with a decent signal, the station was playing Classical music at the time.

kilokat7 said:
Nice catch.

Mexico used to be easy. 540/730/800/900/1570 were all regulars. No more. And, of course Mexico is considering a Canada like migration of stations from am to fm.

Another one that I used to hear regularly was 500KW PJB 800khz in Bonaire, and 200KW 810khz Radio Sutatenza in Columbia.

On a good night, you could get those frequencies on about any DXing type radio and a longwire/or loop/or ferrite antenna.

I wax nostalgic. I must be off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom