• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

106.7 news

When and why did they dump the national news feed from ABC(?) every half hour? I realize that its been a few weeks, but I kept forgetting to ask!

Haven't listened for a while, but hve they dumped it only during the talk shows? I used to hear it in the AM drive. Was usually a slimmed down 60 seconds the most recent 2:00 TOH. They may have dumped it because of redundancy or an effort to gain back a minute of time for local use.

Cumulus dropped ABC News across the whole company on January 1. This is due to the distribution contract between ABC and Cumulus expiring. ABC News is now distributed by Disney.

Cumulus dropped ABC News across the whole company on January 1. This is due to the distribution contract between ABC and Cumulus expiring. ABC News is now distributed by Disney.

Does Cumulus/Westwood One own any other branded news programming? I see they own CBS Radio news, but I think WSB has dibs on that. What about an NBC- or CNN-branded news?

How about Fox Radio News? I hear it on WDUN but not in Atlanta.

Cumulus' Westwood One is producing a national newscast that a lot of Cumulus stations are airing. It's only branding is, "Powered by CNN."

Does Cumulus/Westwood One own any other branded news programming? I see they own CBS Radio news, but I think WSB has dibs on that. What about an NBC- or CNN-branded news?

CNN and NBC News Radio are no longer produced. CNN was replaced with NBC in 2012. NBC News Radio was recently dropped by WW1. WW1 now offers "unbranded" national news with actualities provided by CNN.

FOX News is distributed by Premiere Radio, I think it is unlikely that Cumulus would align with them.

Thanks for the info. Did not know that about Fox News.
Many years ago WSB carried NBC news when their TV was an NBC affiliate (prior to July 80 or so).

Cumulus owns Westwood One. On January 1st, when Westwood One launched its own radio news network, Cumulus stations including 1067 dropped ABC News Radio and picked up the Westwood One service, which is unbranded on the air. During hours when it airs network newscasts (i.e. morning and evening drive and weekends), 1067 runs one minute of unbranded Westwood One news on the hour.

I assume during late night Talk shows (John Batchelor and Red Eye Radio) the Westwood One news airs at the top of the hour on WYAY, since both shows break for about eight minutes at :58. It really is an odd-sounding newscast, very fast-paced, with opt-outs at :01, :02, a spot ending at :03, another minute of news ending at :04 and another spot ending at :05. At :01, :02 and :04, the newscaster simply says his name as the outcue. No network mentioned. Cumulus flagship WABC New York only runs it late night, during Batchelor and Red Eye, since WABC has local anchors during the day. I've heard WABC sometimes take only the first two minutes, other times taking the full newscast.

As for other Atlanta stations and their network affiliations, as mentioned above, WSB has CBS News, although I'm not sure if they air the actual newscast at the top of the hour, even overnight. 1380 WAOK is a Black Talk station owned by CBS, although again, I'm not sure if they air the CBS top of the hour newscast either. Does 1160 WCFO run CBS News hourly?

I believe 640 WGST, owned by iHeart, airs Fox News, which is distributed by iHeart, in addition to 550 WGUN Gainesville using Fox. 920 WGKA, owned by Salem, airs SRN News at the top of the hour.

I'm not sure if there's any station in the Atlanta area or nearby that airs ABC News at the top of the hour. When all the Cumulus stations, including WYAY, went with their own Westwood One newscast on Jan. 1, I'm sure the ABC affiliate list plummeted severely.

WCFO does run CBS news and has for quite some time. As for WGST, they carry 24/7 News. Is that a Fox News product? Doesn't sound the same as WDUN in Gainesville. WLS (890) Chicago also airs Red Eye but you might not can hear it due to the Cubans squatting on that frequency.

One of the reasons WSB dropped network news in the 80's was because of inventory. The spots that ran throughout the day were part of the package that had them "giving away" airtime. Go local...sell local spots...make money, instead of their plan.

This is an interesting situation for CBS. Two Atlanta stations run CBS Top of the Hour News, 1160 WCFO and 1690 WMLB. And we think WSB is also a CBS affiliate, able to use CBS clips for their news, although not taking the actual newscasts. But we haven't determined what CBS-owned Black Talk 1380 WAOK does for its newscasts.

This is similar to the CBS Sports situation in Atlanta, where 680 WCNN, owned by Dickey Broadcasting, runs the national CBS Sports network late nights and weekends. And according to Wikipedia, Dickey Broadcasting 1230 WFOM runs CBS Sports in most dayparts, too. But 92.9 WZGC, the CBS's Sports station in Atlanta, must be locally programmed around the clock because it can't run CBS network sports. I believe WZGC and WFAN NYC are the only two Sports stations in the country that are all-local 24/7.

Atlanta is an odd market where CBS can't run its own product because other stations already have rights to it.

kf4rca said >>>As for WGST, they carry 24/7 News. Is that a Fox News product? Doesn't sound the same as WDUN in Gainesville.<<<

24/7 News is separate from Fox News. Both are distributed by iHeart, but 24/7 is an in-house iHeart project, I believe done from Phoenix. Meanwhile Fox Radio News is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation and is anchored at Fox News headquarters in NYC.

24/7 was set up mostly as a product for iHeart's app and internet service. But they also put together a brief top-of-the-hour newscast for radio stations. The only place I've heard it was on 1600 WWRL NYC, and they don't use it anymore since they switched to a Regional Mexican format. I wonder why WGST, an iHeart Talk station in a top 10 market, doesn't run Fox News? Most of iHeart's Talk stations run Fox News.

Thanks for the info, Gregg.
WMLB is WCFO's sister station.
Does anybody run USA Radio Network news? I hear them frequently on SW. Seems to be a pretty good product. Not affiliated with the US government.
At one time, ABC had FOUR radio networks. They were Contemporary, Information, Entertainment, and FM networks. This was back in the copper network days.
Don't know when they consolidated but I guess they just weren't able to sell them all. Looking at my 76 Broadcasting yearbook, they were the largest radio network with Mutual a close second. It was not uncommon for all four networks to exist in a single market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom