• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

106.7 Lite FM 2023 Christmas Music Wishlist

Hey guys, it's August and we're only about 3 and a half months away from the flip to Christmas music!!! That being said, every year they play the same 10 songs, and different versions of the same songs, pretty much every hour!! What songs would you like to see them add this year? What songs would you like to see them cut?

Hey guys, it's August and we're only about 3 and a half months away from the flip to Christmas music!!! That being said, every year they play the same 10 songs, and different versions of the same songs, pretty much every hour!! What songs would you like to see them add this year? What songs would you like to see them cut?

You do know this post will have less than zero bearing on what songs they play, right? I somehow think you dont realize that

Did we really need another thread on this?

I think they need to play songs like All I Want For Christmas Is You less and also not play the same song with different versions too much. It is annoying… actually so annoying you wouldn’t want to hear them so much. I think they also need to mix in more songs about the nativitiy too… like O Holy Night and O Little Town of Bethlehem. I also believe that even Polar Express songs could be added too.

You do know this post will have less than zero bearing on what songs they play, right? I somehow think you dont realize that
I don’t think it will cause iHeartMedia always has Christmas stations that aren’t that good anyways. They seem to always have the worst Christmas stations in the country and they always play the same song at the same time for each station in the same time zone. Even Warm 106.9 in Seattle plays a slightly better mix than iHeartMedia’s Christmas Stations and there are numerous CCM stations that at least play a better mix than Lite FM does.

That odd American habit of playig wall-to-wall Christmas music on many stations... I think such thing never existed in Latin America where most population is Catholic.

That odd American habit of playig wall-to-wall Christmas music on many stations... I think such thing never existed in Latin America where most population is Catholic.
And that is because Christmas in the US is not just a religious occasion.

First, the feel of how winter, snow, sleighs and the like fit with the mythical Santa Clause, definitely not a Latin American scene where in much of the area there is no winter, and in other places in December it is summer.

Second, the Catholic tradition emphasizes the religious part of the birth of the Christ Child. Gifts were given on Three Kings' Day, two weeks later and in a different fashion.

Third, there is the family aspect of Christmas. In the US, families that live far apart gather. In Latin America, families often live three and even four generations deep in the same household.

Fourth, big business made Christmas in the US a sales opportunity. In Latin America and in the past, incomes and lifestyles did not permit extravagance.

So there is very little Christmas music except for some traditional Villancicos (religious carols) and a few themed secular songs... because much of what is part of American Christmas was not part of Latin American Christmas.

Of course, in recent decades this has changed. But there are very few traditional Christmas songs. And you can only play "El Burrito Sabanero" only so many times.

Several have messaged me about the "Burrito". Here is the original of literally hundreds of versions. It's from Venezuela and came out in the mid-70's. It was originally done by Hugo Blanco, a very famous Venezuelan artist and composer.

And here is a translation:

The lyrics in this song are repetitive, so this is a condensed version with a translation. See the full lyrics below! (A "cuarto" is a type of guitar)

Con mi burrito sabanero, voy camino de Belén
With my donkey of the savannah, I’m on my way to Bethlehem

Con mi burrito sabanero, voy camino de Belén
With my donkey of the savannah, I’m on my way to Bethlehem

Si me ven, si me ven, voy camino de Belén
If anyone sees me, if you see me, I’m on my way to Bethlehem

El lucerito mañanero ilumina mi sendero
The morning light illuminates my path

El lucerito mañanero ilumina mi sendero
The morning light illuminates my path

Tuki tuki tuki tuki, tuki tuki tuki ta

Apurate mi burrito que ya vamos a llegar
Hurry up, my little donkey, we’re almost there

Tuki tuki tuki tuki, tuki tuki tuki ta

Apurate mi burrito, vamos a ver a Jesús

Hurry up, my little donkey, we’re going to see Jesus

Con mi cuatrico voy cantando, mi burrito va trotando
With my cuatro I go along singing, my donkey goes a-trotting

Con mi cuatrico voy cantando, mi burrito va trotando
With my cuatro I go along singing, my donkey goes a-trotting

The wall-to-wall Christmas music did not happen here until after 2001. After 9/11 stations played wall-to-wall Christmas music to get people to feel better. When the stations started to get monster ratings with all Christmas stations it became a tradition after 2001.

The wall-to-wall Christmas music did not happen here until after 2001. After 9/11 stations played wall-to-wall Christmas music to get people to feel better. When the stations started to get monster ratings with all Christmas stations it became a tradition after 2001.
The original Christmas station was in Phoenix and predated 9/11 by 6 or 7 years.

The original Christmas station was in Phoenix and predated 9/11 by 6 or 7 years.
It was actually then-KMEO AM 740 that broke from its usual easy listening simulcast to play non-stop Christmas music on Thanksgiving Day 1989. The AM station went from a no-show in the ratings, to a 1.3 share in the fall book. The next year, it pulled a 2.1 share, and in 1991 it pulled a 1.6 before the station flipped to Radio Aahs.
That was the template that later inspired then-struggling KESZ, which picked up the Christmas music tradition in 1996. In the Fall 1998, it jumped 4.9 to 6.7 for its first-ever #1, and within a couple of years, word of its annual Fall book success started to inspire others to follow suit.
1691071823753.png

Back
Top Bottom