• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

106.1 K-Breeze: A Foul Wind Blowin'

Good one! There is definitely something really strange going on here.

I note this morning that they were broadcasting dead air - carrier, no audio. I also don't know how KGLK fits into all of this, but neither it nor KHPT has been broadcasting HD-2 for several days. Both stations are in HD, and KGLK HD-3 still has NOAA weather. Just - both HD-2's are silent.

Back on the air again... commercials and all...

LOL, I will only say that Rafft really needs to get somebody down here to San Antonio to run KQQB. It's been off for over two years with a strange wheel of formats before it went dark. This company baffles me the way they do things, and I'm not saying it's wrong or right - just something I've noticed. ;)

How does 106.1 sound in terms of quality? Is it nicely compressed, badly compressed, or just unprocessed, overdriven, too quiet? I've honestly been interested in the fidelity of low profile stations like this one for quite some time.

Been in investigative mode all day. First, I can confirm that this is not a translator for KGLK. I had a lengthy conversation with the head engineer at Cox Communications. They just found out about this so-called translator for KGLK today and are investigating. Engineer says it was probably a typo...

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

I called the licensee up several times. Guy pretends not to speak English and hangs up. I also called the attorney for the licensee. He wasn't aware of anything, so I gave him information and he says he'll get back to me.

The sound quality isn't all that good, but the range is outstanding. I can get a clear signal in Meyerland (SW Houston). Had some static, but still listenable 59 at Kirby. You can hear it downtown with a lot of static, but a station out of Beaumont knocks it out -- depending on where I park my truck.

I drove out to the tower for a looksee. Impressive... See photos.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1409983312_45c3a59cee523f8fec62aa4622860d07

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd...._=1409981636_33122303a16c458403602552cfd430a2

I suspect the translator owner has essentially leased out the facility to a programmer (who should know better) that doesn't know the difference between a translator and a LPFM, or the rules governing such operations. I can't find any originating station on a scan of FM HD channels, so someone is trying to pull a fast one. Where is the FCC?

Apparently it's not unusual for a translator operator to claim a particular originating station, and that station is completely unaware. A while back on these forums, Chuck Tiller said that Salem didn't know anything about the upcoming translator on 98.7 that claims it will rebroadcast KKHT.

Audio quality on 106.1 is still somewhat overdriven with excessive bass. Fair signal driving along 290 inside the Beltway, but can catch grief from KTTX and KIOC depending on how tropo conditions are behaving.

John Davis... Don't know much about this Guel guy, but it was the same attorney in Guel's applications that is now filing for KBreeze.

If Antonio Cesar Guel is involved in any way, recall that he filed a LPFM application saying he would put the antenna on a Univision tower without asking their permission.

Really? Univision really doesnt own any towers....but anything that shows up on one would be thrown off immediately...(and how would he get power?? That would be considered theft of service....ooops)

If Antonio Cesar Guel is involved in any way, recall that he filed a LPFM application saying he would put the antenna on a Univision tower without asking their permission.

Unless things have changed, this is both a legal and common practice. You just file for a change of coordinates later.

Also an engineer (not with Sangeet), speaking to me on the condition I not put his name on, or anywhere near, this "gossip bulletin board" advised me of the following: The folks in the process of purchasing K-Breeze intend to try to convert the translator into a LPFM and move it to the antenna farm in Missouri City. It will still be in and serve Fort Bend County, but it will also cover most of Houston as well if not better than 95.1 is currently doing.

That will never happen legally..You cannot convert a FX license to a LP100 license. The window for LPFMs are closed now..as a translator it could have more power and HAAT and cover better...as a LPFM it cannot play advertising...Whoever this "genious" engineer is doesnt know WTF he is talking about.

Unless things have changed, this is both a legal and common practice. You just file for a change of coordinates later.

To get a CP though, you must have reasonable access to the proposed tower site noted on the application....Univision filed an objection...that is enough to make the applications be dismissed..Common, yes...legal? No way.

I listened it about an hour ago in my car and the audio quality was very unpleasant to the ear. It was over modulated and in mono. A total train wreck!

I listened it about an hour ago in my car and the audio quality was very unpleasant to the ear. It was over modulated and in mono. A total train wreck!

I bet it's because they haven't got an engineer who knows how to set it. You should tell them about the issues you're experiencing.

A translator station with its own main studio. Interesting...

A translator station with its own main studio. Interesting...

No such requirement exists in FCC rules. Also, translators are not required to maintain local public files; only the main signal they retransmit are. They MUST maintain a "log" at the translator site with contact info, license, etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom