• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

In one of the discussions, someone said that The Mountain's Seattle repeater on 103.3 has been off the air. Has anyone been able to log K-103??

It's been on the air every time I've checked it. That doesn't mean that I couldn't have missed some downtime, but if so, it wasn't for a long period.
Thus, no K-103. If I ever find that repeater down, I'll certainly check for K103.

Im going to feel stupid asking this.. but what exactly is the point of the repeater on 103.3? I mean, I really don't think most listeners of "The Mountain" know about it.. and I dont imagine the service contour is that large.

Would some sort of booster be better?
Where is the transmitter for the LP 103.3 signal by the way?

I live in Monroe and K277AE is non-existant. KKCW, in parts of Monroe, is in almost 24/7. Mainly in "blips" around the east part of the city (Al Borlin Park near the Skykomish River mainly). KWLN in Wilson Creek even goes in and out on occasion...

-crainbebo

KKCW came in as strong and steady as a Seattle station when I was working up on Decatur Island a few years ago. So did KBFF KYCH and even KINK (KLTH was mostly blocked by KWPZ, but I did hear something on 106.7.)

The point of the 103.3 repeater is to have an extremely-strong signal downtown to penetrate the concrete and steel buildings with 150 dbu instead of the 88 dbu Tiger Mountain signal. But now many, if not most office workers are catching the program off the net through such services such as Tunein.com.

So in reality, this property is not adding much value to Entercom in my professional opinion. Furthermore, I suggested to this board last year that KMTT use 103.3 to sample the HD digital signal of their Channel 2 format on 103.7 Megacycles. The current xmit location is on top of their building in Metropolitan Tower (the building that looks like a canned ham). This is a poor location if you are looking for optimal market reach. Their AMSL (average mean sea level center of radiation height) just barely clears Capitol Hill. This is why it comes in so shitty in Bellevue. I know why they like their current location, because they can run 250 watts ERP. If they moved to one of the Cap Hill towers they would have to reduce their ERP dramatically. But their signal would be so much better overall. The power level would be less than 100 watts due to I.F. (intermediate frequency) spacing restrictions. But this strategy....moving to cap hill and repeating the HD 2 channel would give us a sample of their channel 2 new music format. With a pop count of perhaps 800,000 in the Cap Hill 60 dbu, I think they could garner about 40,000 listeners on 103.3. I don't know how many are tuned into 103.3 currently but I am sure it would be a tiny fraction of what they could be getting.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom