• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

103.1 changing formats again

JVC is scrapping R-CHR Fly and placing Florida Man Radio talk on it's first fulltime FM signal in the market since launching the format.

credit to Radio Insight: Florida Man Radio To Fly To 103.1 Orlando - RadioInsight

The 105.5 translator may pick up the FM simulcast of ESPN Orlando/WDYZ.

103.1 hasn't been able to accomplish much of anything in the ratings since WLOQ sold it, but leave it to JVC to at least find a reason to give us something new in Orlando radio to talk about.

Byron

Also...

This brings Bubba (BTLS) back to a full-market FM signal in Orlando
Dan Bongino on a stronger FM signal in Orlando
Shannon Burke on a full market FM signal again vs. his old 104.1 spot many years ago

So I guess it could be mildly interesting to/for some.

Byron

Didn't really see that one coming.
Thought if anything Florida Man Radio would return to 660AM and ESPN would be dropped.
Looks like they're totally dumping the urban format and not moving it to 103.1 HD-3 like they moved the former country 103.1 the Wolf to 103.1 HD-2. Good news for WTKS HD-2 and it's translator, no more direct competition.
As for the 105.5 translator, I would think it would most likely be an FM translator for ESPN 660 WDYZ. And that could also go on 103.1 HD-3.
But then again could 103.1 HD-2 the Wolf return to analog on the translator.

My hope is that once this election is over, they will flip it to something else more promising next year.
I find this kind of talk radio absolutely unlistenable, but my opinion doesn't matter to this business.
I wonder if Audacy is now thinking of flipping FM101.9 to bring back 102 Jamz? :unsure:

My hope is that once this election is over, they will flip it to something else more promising next year.
I find this kind of talk radio absolutely unlistenable, but my opinion doesn't matter to this business.
I wonder if Audacy is now thinking of flipping FM101.9 to bring back 102 Jamz? :unsure:
now that would shake things up!!!

Fly 103 never got traction. They were consistently beaten by a translator. Maybe they would have had more success as a CHR station. Although WXXL has fended off many attempts to challenge its dominance over the years.

Is WFYY's signal any good up in the home of Florida men, Daytona Beach? ;-)

Their listening area is somewhat to the west of the higher powered Orlando FMs. WKKA, WOMX, WOEX, WJRR, WTKS all come to mind. WJRR and WTKS are technically Cocoa Beach stations. All these stations put a city-grade signal out to the coast. Going by the "Florida Man" stereotype, those areas are much more likely to have a "go surfing with an alligator while simultaneously cooking meth population" than the Orlando metro area.

I'm joking, but it looks like WFYY really misses the coastal communities.

I'm joking, but it looks like WFYY really misses the coastal communities.
And the coastal communities are not in the Orlando Metro Survey Area, so it does not matter.

To answer the question: after WLOQ upgraded from C3 to C2, it did improve reception along the coast. I had little problems (in 2015) picking up 103.1 in Titusville and Cocoa. I’d imagine Daytona/Northern Volusia County you’d need a decent radio to pick it up…103.3 there doesn’t help, along with being further away from the transmitter than the Brevard coast.

Are they still technically part of the iHeart Brevard cluster with WLRQ? I know for awhile they were moved there to keep ownership caps down.
They were part of the orlando cluster when i worked at WTIR in 2005

"Technically", WJRR has operated in the Maitland studios since the 1980's and WTKS since it was acquired the second time by Paxson / Clear Channel in the mid 1990's. Briefly during consolidation between Clear Channel and AM/FM (early 2000's), WJRR was moved "on paper" to the Brevard market... but honestly, listeners would never know. Both stations are "Orlando" stations just like 94.5 and 101.9 are likewise licensed to Daytona Beach.

Some of the Orlando stations include the coast in their programming. For example, rocker WJRR and Jesus pop WPOZ give reports on the sea and surf conditions.

There was a reason why they dropped Jamz and why Cox dropped Power. There's no money in that format.

Back
Top Bottom