• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

102.7 The Beach - A Month and a Half Later

WMXJ-FM goes from a 4.3 in the Holiday 15 book, to a 4.0, and now, as of March, a 3.9?

The programming is wacky. No wonder ratings are flat. All the upheaval of firings, image change, etc. for what?

Last 6 months of 2015 average in 25-54 was a 3.3. First 3 months of 2016 the average is a 4.1

Nobody pays any attention to the Holiday book for strategy purposes. And in PPM, a 3.9 is a 4.2 is a 3.8. That is why agencies use multi-book averages to buy.

That is not flat. That is up 25% in the sales demo they are after.

Last edited:
WMXJ-FM goes from a 4.3 in the Holiday 15 book, to a 4.0, and now, as of March, a 3.9?

The programming is wacky. No wonder ratings are flat. All the upheaval of firings, image change, etc. for what?

Listening on a Saturday: Quiet Riot's "Come on Feel the Noize" into Yaz "Situation?" Tune in later: "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns n' Roses into . . . Bob Marley's "Jammin?" What?

What's worse, being sick of hearing "Welcome to the Jungle" (the "Foxy Lady" of the 2000s), I punch up Big 106, who is also playing "Welcome to the Jungle" at the SAME TIME, in sync with The Beach 102.7. But while The Beach seg'd into Marley, Big seg'd into a Rolling Stones cut, which makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Quiet Riot into Yaz? Guns and Roses into Marley? I haven't experienced such a jarring transition since I was forced to play a Joan Baez cut into a new Deep Purple tune because the index card file box told me to play it. I enjoy Marley as much as the next guy, and he's iconic, but what is the deal with Entercom and all the Marley tunes on not only the Beach, but on the Shark? They simply do not fit.

My previous job in Radio was a format like that. Called "Variety Hits" and a lot of people loved it where we were. It was # 1 for a long time.

Darn right it was crazy...who else could play Paula Abdul's Rush Rush, KISS's "Rock and roll all night" and Third Eye Blind's "Semi Charmed Life" in the same stopset? We did and it was fun. But, corporate changed the rotation of Music and once they did that, it died. No variety, just the same stuff over and over.

I loved it but you have to really play all 10,000 songs...not 350 over and over and over

My previous job in Radio was a format like that. Called "Variety Hits" and a lot of people loved it where we were. It was # 1 for a long time.

Darn right it was crazy...who else could play Paula Abdul's Rush Rush, KISS's "Rock and roll all night" and Third Eye Blind's "Semi Charmed Life" in the same stopset? We did and it was fun. But, corporate changed the rotation of Music and once they did that, it died. No variety, just the same stuff over and over.

I loved it but you have to really play all 10,000 songs...not 350 over and over and over

But The Beach plays the same 400+ songs over and over again. Doesn't that get old really fast?

OMG: Here we go again.

But The Beach plays the same 400+ songs over and over again. Doesn't that get old really fast?

Yes, but 400 hits that the listener knows and recognizes. 10,000 hits might be fun to the record collector, but is a turnoff to the average listener.

Tighter playlist = More listeners and revenue. In smaller markets you have a little more flexibility.

In your case, if corporate changed your playlist the ratings and revenue probably needed improvement.

Listening on a Saturday: Quiet Riot's "Come on Feel the Noize" into Yaz "Situation?" Tune in later: "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns n' Roses into . . . Bob Marley's "Jammin?" What?

Yaz and Bob Marley work in South Florida. Guns and Roses are huge right now. Saturday night is probably a specialty show.

And it's so repetitive. Tina Turner and Whitney each had one song, Mellencamp maybe two. No Huey Lewis. Shout at least every other day. And I'd like to (shout).

Because no one cares or remembers Mothers talk, Better be good to me, or other third tier songs from the artist or bands. Huey Lewis does not fit this format.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I think that 400 and 10,000 are both extreme numbers of songs. Let's see what happens over the long haul.

In reality, the playlist is probably around 800 songs. With only 550 or songs played at any time in the regular rotation.

In reality, the playlist is probably around 800 songs. With only 550 or songs played at any time in the regular rotation.

I've printed their list, and added to it. I may be missing some but not many. It really isn't that many. At the beginning of March it was around 375
and they may have added about 50 since then. It's pretty much consistently the same songs over and over.

Here's an old Radio Discussions thread from four years ago, in 2011, regarding the Beach/Magic's old identity as WKCO 102.7 "K-102," started up by, featuring chatter from, and memories of some of their old jocks, HERE.

WMXJ is really tight, with about 360 different titles played in a 7-day span.

The variety format/branding was done before – on IHeart’s (back when it was still Clear Channel) WSHE reintroduction into the market and didn’t work; it was gone in less than almost a year. First, they were “She Plays Everything,” then it was re-launched as “Miami’s Variety Station,” and they even added personalities on that re-launch (instead of the previous jockless approach), with WTVJ-TV’s Kelli Craig voice tracking bits with no song ID’s.

With all the upheaval, firings, rebranding, etc., WSHE ended up with a 2.3 in the February before they flipped to the current Beat 103.5 Hip Hop format. Before it was WSHE “Variety,” it was the Spanish AC “Super X” and it had a 2.4 share. In the last book for March 16, the Beat got a 3.6. WSHE did worse than Super X, overall.

So, for all the upheaval at 102.7; it’s having the same effect as the 103.5 upheaval -- which is nothing. If it did, Patti ‘the Latin Diva” Moreno wouldn’t have been fired. You don’t fire PD’s from stations that are doing great, especially one with Moreno’s talents.

OMG: Here we go again.

Yes, but 400 hits that the listener knows and recognizes. 10,000 hits might be fun to the record collector, but is a turnoff to the average listener.

Tighter playlist = More listeners and revenue. In smaller markets you have a little more flexibility.

In your case, if corporate changed your playlist the ratings and revenue probably needed improvement.

Yaz and Bob Marley work in South Florida. Guns and Roses are huge right now. Saturday night is probably a specialty show.

Because no one cares or remembers Mothers talk, Better be good to me, or other third tier songs from the artist or bands. Huey Lewis does not fit this format.

We were locally owned and running the Jones Mike FM, but we programmed it in house. We had a playlist of 1000 songs that rotated in 500s. It was widely loved but Jones tighted their format so that Cold as Ice played daily at 3pm. People started hating it and we were back to classic rock within 5 years of its run. #1 to #3 to last because someone thought it best to run the same 250 songs over and over and over.

I saw it succeed with over 500...it does work if its programmed right.

Just sayin'

So, for all the upheaval at 102.7; it’s having the same effect as the 103.5 upheaval -- which is nothing. If it did, Patti ‘the Latin Diva” Moreno wouldn’t have been fired. You don’t fire PD’s from stations that are doing great, especially one with Moreno’s talents.

Based on the first three weeks of the April book, I would assume that WMXJ is going to get a 25 to 54 share of a 4.1 ro 4.2. That would be 0.9 to one full share above the average of 3.2 for the last 6 months of 2015.

We don't know why the PD left. It wasn't ratings, obviously.

As a sidebar, I do, however, question the idea of "getting someone Hispanic" and then bringing in a person with no cultural identity at all with the Caribbean. And it shows, as WMXJ has the lowest percentage of ethnic listeners of any FM in the market.

The variety format/branding was done before – on IHeart’s (back when it was still Clear Channel) WSHE reintroduction into the market and didn’t work; it was gone in less than almost a year. First, they were “She Plays Everything,” then it was re-launched as “Miami’s Variety Station,” and they even added personalities on that re-launch (instead of the previous jockless approach), with WTVJ-TV’s Kelli Craig voice tracking bits with no song ID’s.

WSHE was way out there. Might of worked in Cincinnati, but not in Miami. It was doomed from the start.

On WMXJ:

They have added several rock titles such as Stevie Nicks, Tom Petty, Free, etc. and could benefit MIA in some demos.

Any numbers on MIA since going back in a Rhythmic AC direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine who was a bigtime fan of an automated station several decades ago would impress people by, after certain messages on the station, would start to sing the next song...and he would always get it right until they changed it, but he would only need to hear that change once.

Last edited:
This is the latest article in the Research Director series that features the April 2016 survey from 3/24 - 4/20/2016 (Miami market is discussed 2nd):

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...rch-director-inc-exclusive-april-ppm-analysis

Hopefully one can read the article without a free subscription - I don't think that's the case, however.

Summarized:

Age 25-54:

Mar16 - Apr16

1 - 1 WHQT
2 - 2 WLYF
3 - 3 WEDR
5 - 4 WFEZ
6 - 5 WXDJ
4 - 6 WRTO

Age 18-34:

Mar16 - Apr16

1 - 1 WEDR
2 - 2 WMIB
3 - 3 WLYF
4 - 4 WHQT
5 - 5 WHYI
? - 11 WKIS

Age 18-49:

Mar16 - Apr16

2 - 1 WLYF
1 - 2 WEDR
3 - 3 WHQT
5 - 4 WMIB
6 - T5 WFEZ
7 - T5 WXDJ
4 - 7 WRTO

Last edited:
Almost fell off my chair when I mistook WMIB for WMIV(LPFM)...LOL

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom