• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

101-5 The Wolf Might Be Closer Than We Think

Kicks 101-5 is airing a promo about Cumulus' $1,000 giveaway. At the end of the promo, while the V/O person is saying Kicks 101-5, a howling sound is played in the background.

Does anyone think it's a hint, or maybe the slow start of a gradual transition?

The other thing that makes me think the big change is coming soon is Kicks has no morning show. Yes, Dallas is popular, but I wonder how long they can go without a real morning show.

After Christmas would be a logical time for a flip, but can they wait that long? 94.9 flipped from Peach to The Bull right in the middle of Christmas music.

Kicks 101-5 is airing a promo about Cumulus' $1,000 giveaway. At the end of the promo, while the V/O person is saying Kicks 101-5, a howling sound is played in the background.

Does anyone think it's a hint, or maybe the slow start of a gradual transition?

The other thing that makes me think the big change is coming soon is Kicks has no morning show. Yes, Dallas is popular, but I wonder how long they can go without a real morning show.

After Christmas would be a logical time for a flip, but can they wait that long? 94.9 flipped from Peach to The Bull right in the middle of Christmas music.

Would 101.5 still be country?

It’s 100% happening. Their new Instagram is up with a pic of the new logo that was posted 5 days ago. Search “1015thewolfAtl” on Instagram.

It’s 100% happening. Their new Instagram is up with a pic of the new logo that was posted 5 days ago. Search “1015thewolfAtl” on Instagram.

I agree that it's likely happening. But I looked at that Instagram page, and it's unclear whether that was really posted by the station. The Wolf logo has no frequency or call letters on it.

And now this was announced today in Country Aircheck:

WKHX's Gaines Departs: Cumulus WKHX/Atlanta APD/afternooner Scott Gaines is departing in early December after two years with the station. Gaines transferred from the company's WGKX/Memphis and has prior stops at WSM-FM/Nashville, WDTW/Detroit and KTST/Dallas. No word on plans for the position.

RIP to the second-oldest moniker (1981) on the ATL commercial AM dial. B98.5 (1985) and Star 94 (1989) move into second and third place behind V-103 (1977).

But country on 101.5 remains as the oldest format on the ATL commercial AM dial. Marshall Leach's (RIP) Atlanta Radio page says that WBIE-FM flipped to country in 1968; the linked article says 1959 (!). The AJC said that WBIE-FM was playing BM/EZ in 1966-1967.

David Eduardo: what you say?

The kicks country name was popular in the 70s & 80s. These days, there are still a few country stations that use the name, but all of them are minor markets such as Bluefield VA. If you have a problem attracting a younger audience, and that's been the problem with 101.5, then a new name and some new personalities are the way to go.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom