• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

101.1 FM in Plantation

I have noticed a new station pop up here in Fort Lauderdale on 101.1 FM, no records of it being licensed with the FCC however it is transmitting the exact same programming as WNGK-LP 102.1. I have been able to track the signal down to the exact same location that licensed 102.1 WNGK-LP is transmitting from (the roof of the Renaissance Fort Lauderdale-Plantation Hotel located at 595 & Pine Island). I’m not sure how “Kingdom Radio 94.5” out of Hialeah was able to license two different frequencies from the same location broadcasting the exact same audio feed. Again, no record on the FCC site of 101.1 being licensed. It sucks because they have totally jammed my ability to receive WAVV 101.1 out of Naples which I could get clear over 90% of the time with my directional antenna. Does anyone have any info about the legality of this new 101.1 station?

Steve

I'm seeing WDKK-LP 101.1 licensed to Hollywood. I think that one has been on the air a good while...a year or two. It could be they are temporarily simulcasting.

WDKL-LP has been off the air a month or so now, their format was hip-hop and this new station is Spanish/religious. I know WDKL-LP used to transmit from around Miramar Blvd and University Dr, and 101.1 is dead in that area now. This new station popped up from a totally different location about 10 miles north of where WDKK-LP was. Besides the few hours a day they broadcast the same audio as WNGK-LP, they spend most of the time broadcasting dead air. Never a legal ID on either the 101.1 or WNGK-LP 102.1

Interesting. Perhaps it is a new translator that hopped itself in but the FCC hasn't entered in the database yet (it happens). I would think anyone running a LPFM would steer clear of any sort of pirate operation. And no legal ID on either station. That has always amazed me when broadcasters couldn't even get the call letters and city of license strung together each hour. You certainly found a good mystery here. Sorry I am not of more help.

Interesting. Perhaps it is a new translator that hopped itself in but the FCC hasn't entered in the database yet (it happens). I would think anyone running a LPFM would steer clear of any sort of pirate operation. And no legal ID on either station. That has always amazed me when broadcasters couldn't even get the call letters and city of license strung together each hour. You certainly found a good mystery here. Sorry I am not of more help.

You'd be surprised. WEXI-LP 102.3 is licensed to transmit from the roof of a condo tower on Hallandale Beach and at some point they decided to setup shop at the UniMas tower on Hallandale Beach Blvd. and run with enough power to where I could pick them up on Commercial near the turnpike. They ended up getting tagged by the FCC but I don't know if they ever went back to their licensed site. I think a lot of these small LPFM operators tend be a little more cowboy with the rules than the big station owners. Shake FM in Miami moved to an unlicensed site without authorization when they were on 107.9 and were having issues with their owners of the tower site. I don't know if they ever made it back on the air.

Shake FM in Miami moved to an unlicensed site without authorization when they were on 107.9 and were having issues with their owners of the tower site.
I don't know if they ever made it back on the air.
They moved to another location and changed their frequency to 94.3 but they have been silent for quite a while.
As soon as "Shake 108" became "Shake 94.3", WAVS's W300DF began to send a LOT more signal southward.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom