• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

101.1 and 99.5 still playing Christmas music

This is unusual! I remember 101.1 some times "sprinkling" in Christmas songs after the holiday but only if it landed on a Friday or Saturday and they'd always be 100% back in the regular format by the time everyone got to work on Monday morning. We're now in our second business day following Christmas and More FM is still playing a Christmas song out of every stop set (so approximately every 8th song). WJBR is playing them less frequently, maybe once per hour.

There's always an online clamoring for this...but I suspect a majority of AC listeners don't want it. (If you're sitting at your desk on December 27 and your boss walks by and hears "It's Beginning To Look a Lot Like Christmas," he or she might think you're insane. haha.) I would think most at-work listeners are changing the station when a Christmas song plays so their co-workers won't hurl a stapler at them. I wonder why the stations decided to try this out in 2017.

Last edited:
I thought 101 did roughly the same thing last year. Maybe it was a cookie-induced hallucination that I thought I heard them promote it during the 36-hours-of-Christmas-that-follows-36-days-of-Christmas thing.

In any event, I’ve got my personal library of about half Christmas going through this week, and still have Holly on in the car.

Last year, WLIT in Chicago got some publicity for playing a couple of Christmas songs each hour until New Year's Day. When you look at their ratings, the station is somewhere around 10th or 15th but zooms to #1 during the holidays. So last year, they thought they could keep some of that audience around a while longer. But now they've flipped to a mostly 80s/90s AC sound, so there's no lingering Christmas music this year.

Is More-FM limiting the holiday songs to mostly non-Christmas titles, Baby It's Cold Outside and Sleigh Ride, nothing really about Christmas? That's what WLIT did last year. SiriusXM still has two channels of Christmas music going.

Last year, WLIT in Chicago got some publicity for playing a couple of Christmas songs each hour until New Year's Day. When you look at their ratings, the station is somewhere around 10th or 15th but zooms to #1 during the holidays. So last year, they thought they could keep some of that audience around a while longer. But now they've flipped to a mostly 80s/90s AC sound, so there's no lingering Christmas music this year.

Is More-FM limiting the holiday songs to mostly non-Christmas titles, Baby It's Cold Outside and Sleigh Ride, nothing really about Christmas? That's what WLIT did last year. SiriusXM still has two channels of Christmas music going.

What was WLIT before 80s/90s?

And no, More FM seems to be playing whatever Christmas songs they want to without regard for the date.

WLIT had been Hot AC last year. In this new version, it plays only one song per hour post-2000. Everything else is from the 1980s or 90s.

Hot ACs play only a couple of songs per hour from before 2000 while ACs play about half their songs before 2000 and half after.

So long as it’s not Christmas Shoes all is well.

Ha. I only heard the song twice this year and both times, it was after Christmas day and it was on More FM's HD2 channel. I don't know if they even had it in rotation on the main channel this year. It's a terrible song that only exists to torture people.

WLEV played non-stop Christmas until midnight Wednesday. From what WLEV PD told me that they will play some Christmas songs every hour on Thursday in between other songs until midnight.

WLEV is indeed still spiking in Christmas songs here and there. Looks like WJBR quit it when Delilah started last night and even when her "show" ended at midnight, the Christmas tunes were gone. But then at around 6:30 this morning, they started again and they've played about 6 since then. WBEB seems to have lost their holiday spirit entirely at this point. Maybe they know something the other guys don't!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom